Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Residency Requirement?
I just received an initial "cursory review" eval at TESC. I noticed this statement at the top:

Quote:YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO MEET AN 18 CREDIT RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TO COMPLETE THE DEGREE

I thought they were an assessment college? Is this boilerplate that I can ignore? Or is this something that I need to start asking questions about?

Side note: It took three days to complete the unofficial eval. It would have been two but the adviser had to research a couple of courses. So what is the deal with the ten weeks for an official eval I keep reading about? :ack:
Ohh I hope that is not true.
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
1D – Pre-Cal ALEKS 76% - Tech Writing DSST – I need to choose 4 more
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
2D – Personal Finance DSST 446 – HTYH DSST 435
Hi dcan,

:eek: Residency requirement, are you military? I remember reading something about residency having to do with the military plan. Ask the guys over on the military discussion link, there was some type of work round for this.

I found your answer - Thomas Edison State College/ FAQs

Is there a residency required at Thomas Edison State College?
There is no on-campus residency requirement. Students complete their study through a variety of means, including Guided Study and online courses, testing, e-Pack courses and Prior Learning Assessment. Students participating in the military education programs have an academic residency requirement. 18 credits must be completed for baccalaureate degree students, 9 credits must be completed for associate degree students.

Regarding your two week turnaround, maybe they hired new employees. It's usually 4-6 weeks and can run up to 8 weeks if busy. You shall see once you come on board. Smile

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks for the clarification bricabrac. I wonder why this is a military requirement.
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
1D – Pre-Cal ALEKS 76% - Tech Writing DSST – I need to choose 4 more
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
2D – Personal Finance DSST 446 – HTYH DSST 435
dcan Wrote:I just received an initial "cursory review" eval at TESC. I noticed this statement at the top:

I thought they were an assessment college? Is this boilerplate that I can ignore? Or is this something that I need to start asking questions about?

Side note: It took three days to complete the unofficial eval. It would have been two but the adviser had to research a couple of courses. So what is the deal with the ten weeks for an official eval I keep reading about? :ack:

It took them 6 weeks to evaluate my credits.
The Military program at TESC has a 18 credit requirement. This is because they waive the annual fee. Basically you use TA to pay for 18 credits this way TESC gets some money.

If you dont want to do the military program you have to pay the annual fee but they will consider you instate.
TESC BSBA: CIS graduate Sept. 2011
bricabrac Wrote:Students participating in the military education programs have an academic residency requirement. 18 credits must be completed for baccalaureate degree students, 9 credits must be completed for associate degree students.

:ack:

Makes sense though, like SRT12 said, they waive the annual fee and make up for it through forced TA usage. No free lunch. But 6 16-week classes... :willynilly:

My breakdown based on the unofficial eval is (was):
  • 6 CLEPs
  • 5 DSSTs
  • 2 IS courses (Accounting I & II)
  • 3 TESC courses (Pre-cal, Discrete Math, and Capstone)
  • 4 ALEKS courses (all pre-reqs for Pre-cal)

I guess I'll have to cannibalize some of my tests to get 3 more resident classes.

Oh well, that still has me done in about two years, which leaves me about two years to plow into a master's on TA before retirement. :coolgleam: (hopefully)

Edit I just realized my original plan had 7 TESC classes. I guess bad news is good news! Rolleyes
SRT12, sent you a PM.
I got around the Military residency requirement for my AAS and BA by using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, rather than TA, to cover all tuition and fees. I used testing and Military credits to satisfy all requirements. All the tests were free since I am active duty and the one TECEP I took was covered by the GI Bill as well. My grand total comes to $75 (application fee), not counting InstantCert membership costs of course.

You can do this to but you will end up needing to either take one class or take one TECEP. This is because of certain VA rules. I would recommend taking a TECEP this way you can still test out completely and have everything paid for.

If you would like shoot me a PM and I can explain in greater detail what needs to be done.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO MEET AN 18 CREDIT RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TO COMPLETE THE DEGREE

The old Residency requirement for Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP)
was 6 for AA and 12 for BA. It changed about 2 years ago.

If you were a student before 2009 you may be grandfather into the old 6/12.

3 more credits to go for my BALS; (PLA- Computer Hardware and Software CAP-104)

Dantes
Introduction To World Religion REL-405
Introduction to Law Enforcement AOJ-101
Criminal Justice AOJ-102
Ethic In America PHI-281
Social Science & History SOC-102
A history of The Vietnam War HIS-351
Substance Abuse PSY-361
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union HIS-381
Introduction to The Modern Middle East HIS-309
Western Europe Since 1945 HIS-222
Civil War and Reconstruction HIS-252
Intro to Human Geography GOG-120
Human Resorce Management MAN-331
Hear's To Your Health HEA-103

CLEP
American History I HIS-113
American History II HIS-114
Wester Civilization I HIS-101
Western Civilization II HIS-102
Introduction To Education Psychology PSY-230
Human Growth and Development PSY-211
American Government POL-110

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Residency waiver @ TESU MNomadic 8 2,711 08-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Residency waiver for certificates Ideas 2 1,323 08-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Saylor/TESU Discount Residency Waiver Fee for ASBA jumpstart 7 3,082 08-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,727 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,666 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Capstones and Residency Waivers rlw74 15 3,546 07-13-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Residency Waiver armstrongsubero 7 1,935 07-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Says Son Can't Enroll & Pay Residency Waiver?! AquaDragonfly 4 1,604 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: AquaDragonfly
  Can I go ahead and get the residency waiver and graduation fee taken care of? leland.kirk 35 6,218 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: MSK9
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,560 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew