Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC and STRAIGHTERLINE
Hello everyone. I am currently at Charter Oak State College. I am graduating in August with a BS in Health Care Administration. In order to complete the degree quicker and cheaper, I opted to use straighterline. I took about 12 classes on straighterline and the grades on my transcript came out as pass/fail. I heard that too many pass or fails can look bad when applying to grad school. I am thinking of applying to Thomas Edison for their MBA program. I do know that TESC and Straighterline are partners. Does anyone know if this will affect my admission chances? Any information is helpful. :confused:
Don't limit your MBA choices to just TESC. You'd be surprised on how much weight your new degree carries. I was received well to some good online MBA programs (IE, CMU, Syracuse). As long as you have a solid GPA, a good GMAT and good recommendations, you can get into some good schools. With the exception of the MBAs at the very top, schools usually have a very high acceptance rate, MBAs are cash cows. There are also low cost options from many state schools.

Did COSC put failures on your transcript?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
With the abundance of MBA programs out there, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are applying to a highly competitive program. I would also encourage you to look at other MBA options. I like TESC for undergrad for the flexibility and low cost they provide, but for graduate studies there are a lot of really good options out there. ENMU, WNMU, West Texas A&M, on the traditional side or WGU/Patten on the self paced side to just name a few.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
paulavish Wrote:I took about 12 classes on straighterline and the grades on my transcript came out as pass/fail.

Has something changed at COSC? I double-checked and all the SL classes I transferred last year have letter grades. Have they stopped doing that...?
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Devanna Wrote:Has something changed at COSC? I double-checked and all the SL classes I transferred last year have letter grades. Have they stopped doing that...?

COSC takes letter grades (unless processed through ACE), he was asking about TESC, they take them as Pass/Fail
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
Devanna Wrote:Has something changed at COSC? I double-checked and all the SL classes I transferred last year have letter grades. Have they stopped doing that...?

To my knowledge, COSC still awards letter grades for Straighterline classes (and perhaps other transfer credits, too). But I think the OP is already enrolled at TESC.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
Prloko Wrote:Don't limit your MBA choices to just TESC. You'd be surprised on how much weight your new degree carries. I was received well to some good online MBA programs (IE, CMU, Syracuse). As long as you have a solid GPA, a good GMAT and good recommendations, you can get into some good schools. With the exception of the MBAs at the very top, schools usually have a very high acceptance rate, MBAs are cash cows. There are also low cost options from many state schools.

Did COSC put failures on your transcript?

No, there are no failures on my transcript. Thanks for the suggestions. However, i should have mentioned that I am looking for online schools with 8-week formats.
paulavish Wrote:No, there are no failures on my transcript. Thanks for the suggestions. However, i should have mentioned that I am looking for online schools with 8-week formats.

You should really look at WGU, that is my target school after COSC
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From TESC to a top Graduate Program ztrent89 3 880 03-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Last Post: ztrent89
  Straighterline to Grad school timokito 5 1,745 12-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Last Post: msganti