Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From TESC to a top Graduate Program
Hello everyone,

Although I used this forum extensively for information when I made the decision to enroll at Thomas Edison State College (now Thomas Edison State University), I never registered for an account. I've read a few threads with people asking how difficult it is to gain admission into top tier graduate program with a Bachelor's degree from an online college. I just went through this process so I though I would share my good experience. First, I'll give everyone some background information regrading my situation.

When I first enrolled in college I attended East Tennessee State University due to its location (in my hometown) and inexpensive tuition. After completing two years of my degree in History (with a concentration in religious studies) and earning fantastic grades, I decided to transfer to a more well respected university that had a stand alone religious studies department with a broader range of courses. During my last semester at UW, my father was diagnosed with a life threating illness. In light of this, I decided to withdraw in order to spend time with my family and help support my mother. After giving up the lease on my apartment in Wyoming and depleting my savings in order to move back to Tennessee, I was faced with a difficult decision: would I wait until I could save the money to move back to Wyoming and finish my degree there, or look for an alternative course of action. After realizing that it may be quite a long time before I could move back to Wyoming, I looked into Thomas Edison State College and decided to enroll. I was initially going to re-enroll at East Tennessee State to finish my degree—especially considering I had already earned 60 credits there—but they required that I enroll for at least a year in order to be awarded a degree (they require your entire senior year to be completed at their institution). I was only required to take a few courses at TESC to fulfill the degree requirements and enrolled in January of this year. My degree will be awarded in June.

Now, on to the interesting bit. I have always been determined to attend graduate school and my dream is to eventually earn a PhD in religious studies. However, I am also very interested in academic librarianship and rare books, so earning a degree in library science has always been something I've considered. So, I performed months of research finding a library science program that parallels my interests and finally decided I would apply to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. UIUC is usually considered one of the 'Public Ivy" schools and is always ranked by every conceivable index as one of the best public universities in the world. In addition to this, their library science program has a #1 ranking. In other words, the program is extremely competitive and they are practically the only library science program that actually tuns away a significant number of applicants. I had great references, a 3.8 overall GPA, well written essays, and four letters of recommendation, but I was extremely nervous that my TESC degree would result in a big fat rejection letter. Well, a few days ago I received my acceptance letter in the mail! I will be moving to Champaign in a few months and will be enrolling at UIUC for the fall 2016 semester.

Even though I only earned 12 credits from TESC, my story proves that you can get into some of the most prestigious universities in the world with a degree from TESC (and probably any of the Big 3 online schools). In fact, there was absolutely no discernible difference between the courses I took at TESC and the online courses I too at ETSU or UW; the courses were well formulated and the mentors were excellent. For example, the Liberal Arts Capstone that I took resulted in a 63-page thesis that required more research and commitment than anything undertaken at my previous universities. Although I recognize the benefit of brick-and-mortar universities insofar as it allows students to establish valuable relationships with faculty, I would not hesitate to recommend TESC as a viable alternative.

Do you think the large number of credits I earned at brick-and-mortar universities played a large role in getting accepted?
Congratulations! I think your story reflects those of a lot of other folks here - if you put in the effort, the anonymity of your institution does not hold you back from getting into a great graduate program. I've always been of the opinion that having a solid base of traditional credits (whether online or B&M) is important if you want to get into a competitive graduate program, and I think it certainly helped you. Good luck at the U of I.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Congratulations!!!

Before you second guess yourself,
your B&M credit may or may not have been a factor HOWEVER, I rec'd admission to their MS Recreation, Sport, and Tourism in the College of Applied Health Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus (August 5, 2008 - I pulled my letter to double check my memory).....and I didn't have ANY traditional credit! None. That program is also one of the nation's best ranked programs in the field. My TESC transcript was roughly 1/2 CBE, 1/4 TESC courses, and 1/4 credit for courses taught.

So, in short? You did it and your degree from TESC didn't hold you back! Wink
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I really enjoyed the "college experience" during my first couple of years. However, when I was an upperclassman at the University of Wyoming the environment became more of a distraction than anything. I loved attending college sporting events and meeting in person with some of my professors, but I have always enjoyed independent learning. It's a shame that the prevalence of the for-profit degree mills have given online learning a less than stellar reputation as a whole.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,706 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,878 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  NYU SPS Guaranteed Admission Program smartdegree 6 498 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 600 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,035 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,033 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,673 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,778 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 679 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,651 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77