Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC eval/best course of action
Good evening everyone! I was hoping to pick some of the awesome brains on this site. I just started at TESC and I was hoping that more of my credits would have transferred. I'm going for the Homeland Security and Emergency Management BS degree. I am getting medically discharged from the military in about a year and would like to have my degree completed. I'm a very good test taker and would love to take as many Clep or other tests as I can to get this degree or any other degree knocked out quickly. I've uploaded screen shots of my eval. Could you guys dissect it and see if there are any credits that I should fight to have count towards a class and also let me know what tests I could take to fulfill the remainder of the credits I need. I have seen members on this forum get multiple degrees using overlapping credits. are there any other degrees that i could earn quickly with the credits i already have? i was thinking a lot of credits would apply to criminal justice or management. Thanks!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1095[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1096[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">image.jpg (Size: 90.62 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">image.jpg (Size: 94.32 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">image.jpg (Size: 102.03 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">image.jpg (Size: 94.34 KB / Downloads: 0)
Charlie2011gt Wrote:Good evening everyone! I was hoping to pick some of the awesome brains on this site. I just started at TESC and I was hoping that more of my credits would have transferred. I'm going for the Homeland Security and Emergency Management BS degree. I am getting medically discharged from the military in about a year and would like to have my degree completed. I'm a very good test taker and would love to take as many Clep or other tests as I can to get this degree or any other degree knocked out quickly. I've uploaded screen shots of my eval. Could you guys dissect it and see if there are any credits that I should fight to have count towards a class and also let me know what tests I could take to fulfill the remainder of the credits I need. I have seen members on this forum get multiple degrees using overlapping credits. are there any other degrees that i could earn quickly with the credits i already have? i was thinking a lot of credits would apply to criminal justice or management. Thanks!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1095[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1096[/ATTACH]

Some of the former military people might be able to help you more but I'll give it a shot:

-On the credits that went into the "other courses" list, you'll have a tough time fighting those as you've already filled most of the specific requirements for your degree. None of the FEMA courses are accepted for general education elective areas and neither are your more technical or business credits. First aid and your PEA-199 courses (which are Physical Education) are also not accepted anywhere else in your degree. If you do find a course that you believe should be somewhere else then you can work with an advisor to move things around if you can convince them of why it should work.

-For the exams to fill your open general education areas you'll want to check out the lists from TESC's website and note that exams in Humanities, Social Sciences, or Nat Sci/Math will all fit in your open General Education electives opening (see CLEP - College-Level Exam Program and DANTES). You may also want to check out TESC's TECEP program as those exams can count toward residency requirements that your military program requires. Those are at About TECEPÂ Exams
For specific exams, I recommend that people start with CLEP Analyze and Interpret Literature as it is six credits and most people do well with it (many argue it is one of the easiest exams but some have trouble with it). The other six credit exams would be good too (Humanities, Social Sciences & History) along with the computing courses (either CLEP Info Sys or DSST Intro to Computing [cannot take both]). Since your main area of missing credits is the General Education Electives you've got lots of great choices.

-Looking at a second degree, your options are pretty wide open. It appears that with your military program you must complete a residency requirement on each degree so that definitely complicates things. I'd suggest speaking with an advisor about that once you enroll. If they didn't have that requirement then I'd say you are setup for something like the AAS in Environmental Safety and Security Technologies (which is a huge overlap and probably not worth it since you are doing the homeland security degree) or depending on how they place the credits you might have luck with something like the Military Technology Leadership AAS (AAS Degree in Military Technology Leadership at Thomas Edison State College). For those AAS degrees you should note that they are highly flexible on courses that are taken for them but also be aware that they carry a capstone course of their own to be completed. They've got a military bachelors degree too but it wouldn't take your FEMA credits so would need a lot of new courses. If you schedule an appointment with an advisor they might be able to give you a recommendation on a second degree. You've got an interesting mix of credits so I'm sure there are many options available, just be sure to watch the fine print on your residency requirement and/or the new credit requirements for a second degree.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Thank you so much for all of that info! Im going to start studying for the CLEP tests this week and try to take 1 a week. What is the CLEP Info Sys like? I'm pretty computer savvy but I'm no expert. Do you have a favorite site to help study for CLEP tests? Thanks again for the help!
Charlie2011gt Wrote:Thank you so much for all of that info! Im going to start studying for the CLEP tests this week and try to take 1 a week. What is the CLEP Info Sys like? I'm pretty computer savvy but I'm no expert. Do you have a favorite site to help study for CLEP tests? Thanks again for the help!

Outside of this site (which is part of InstantCert) you can check out free-clep-prep.com (for both CLEP & DSST exams) and will want to check out the study guides released from both test providers. For CLEP you need to look at individual exams at CLEP Exams | CLEP and for DSST look at Test Preparation |*DSST | Get College Credit

You can also buy the Official CLEP Study Guide which contains practice exams for EVERY exam (CLEP only). It is available from Amazon, local bookstores, or you can buy it on collegeboard's website (see above). I think it is worth it but some others have found different options. Each test taker has a unique way to study so that's just my two cents.

Specifically looking at Information Systems, many users find it easy while others don't seem to do quite as well. If you are strong with computer skills then you should look over topics that are unfamiliar and then give the exam a shot. If not then I'd recommend taking Analyze and Interpret Literature first as it gives six credits and more people seem to pass it. Deciding on the exam order is a tough one, good luck to you!
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Charlie2011gt Wrote:Thank you so much for all of that info! Im going to start studying for the CLEP tests this week and try to take 1 a week. What is the CLEP Info Sys like? I'm pretty computer savvy but I'm no expert. Do you have a favorite site to help study for CLEP tests? Thanks again for the help!

The DSST for Intro to Computing is generally considered to be easier than CLEP Info Sys. They both count as the same course at TESC.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The DSST for Intro to Computing is generally considered to be easier than CLEP Info Sys. They both count as the same course at TESC.

I took both (since my first school took them both for credit) and found them to be very similar. If you can find a DSST testing center then I'd agree with Sanantone. I prefer the DSST anyway (easier to use, none of the "how to use a mouse" tutorials, and you can view your scores online).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,069 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Help with Excelsior eval Iamtehking 5 1,410 03-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,161 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,957 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,294 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,700 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  TESU Updated Eval Question ggabriele26 4 1,809 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Last Post: ggabriele26