Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU 2nd Area of Study
I just want to confirm my understanding of this based on information gathered from a few different threads on here:

If I wanted to do a second area of study, I would:

A. Make sure that it's within the same "type" of degree (in my case, Bachelor of Arts)
B. Complete the Gen Ed requirements for that degree
C. Complete both areas of study

And that's it? Are there any other roadblocks/obstacles? Also, I just want to confirm that the second area of study essentially replaces your free electives, is that correct? Are there any potential issues if the Gen ED + AoS 1 + AoS 2 add up to more than 120 credits (other than obviously having to do a few extra credits)?

Thanks in advance!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-23-2018, 01:34 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I just want to confirm my understanding of this based on information gathered from a few different threads on here:

A. Make sure that it's within the same "type" of degree (in my case, Bachelor of Arts)

And that's it? Are there any other roadblocks/obstacles? Also, I just want to confirm that the second area of study essentially replaces your free electives, is that correct? Are there any potential issues if the Gen ED + AoS 1 + AoS 2 add up to more than 120 credits (other than obviously having to do a few extra credits)?

Thanks in advance!

I was actually just talking about this with someone over lunch today. I think you can only bring 9 area of study credits into your second degree, but I might be wrong (probably am, honestly).

I wonder how many credits would transfer to a completely different degree type? Both your Gen Ed and elective credits, leaving only the 2nd degree's area of study credits to work on?
(08-23-2018, 01:52 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 01:34 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I just want to confirm my understanding of this based on information gathered from a few different threads on here:

Thanks in advance!

I was actually just talking about this with someone over lunch today. I think you can only bring 9 area of study credits into your second degree, but I might be wrong (probably am, honestly).

I wonder how many credits would transfer to a completely different degree type? Both your Gen Ed and elective credits, leaving only the 2nd degree's area of study credits to work on?
Yeah I read the 9 credit overlap rule here earlier today while looking into this:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/t...one-degree

Not a huge concern for me personally as the two AoS's I'm interested don't overlap much (History and Psychology), but good info to file away

Do you have to have separate elective credits (outside of Gen Ed electives, of course) if you do a second Area of Study, or does the second AoS essentially replace the free electives? (Edit: realize now that you probably meant different degree type as in Bachelor of Arts vs Bachelor of Science). Question still stands in general, but not related to what you said as I now understand it.)
Completed:

Up Next:

(08-23-2018, 01:56 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Yeah I read the 9 credit overlap rule here earlier today while looking into this:

Not a huge concern for me personally as the two AoS's I'm interested don't overlap much (History and Psychology), but good info to file away

Do you have to have separate elective credits (outside of Gen Ed electives, of course) if you do a second Area of Study, or does the second AoS essentially replace the free electives? (Edit: realize now that you probably meant different degree type as in Bachelor of Arts vs Bachelor of Science). Question still stands in general, but not related to what you said as I now understand it.)

Yeah, I think we both have the same question except you want a 2nd AoS and I want a 2nd degree type altogether, but still want to use the same elective credits. Either way, we both need answers haha.
[-] The following 1 user Likes katelynn's post:
  • mysonx3
(08-23-2018, 01:59 PM)katelynn Wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I think we both have the same question except you want a 2nd AoS and I want a 2nd degree type altogether, but still want to use the same elective credits. Either way, we both need answers haha.

To be clear, a second AOS in the same degree is on top of the 120 credits required for the first degree, so the second AOS doesn't replace your electives. You're typically looking at a total of 135-144 credits to graduate with two concentrations; however, if you're pursuing a degree other than the BSBA, TESU will allow you to have up to 9 credits (3 courses) shared between both concentrations (if both AOS are similar enough).

FYI, this is not the same as getting two different degrees (like a BA and BS) in the same graduation cycle, which is typically not allowed at TESU. They usually require you to return after the first degree is conferred with at least 24 additional credits earned after the date of degree conferral. There is an exception in that if they are both in the same academic "school" within the university, you may be able to earn two different bachelors degrees (both BA or both BS) in the same graduation cycle provided 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/AOS.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • mysonx3
(08-23-2018, 04:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 01:59 PM)katelynn Wrote:

Thanks in advance!

To be clear, a second AOS in the same degree is on top of the 120 credits required for the first degree, so the second AOS doesn't replace your electives. You're typically looking at a total of 135-144 credits to graduate with two concentrations; however, if you're pursuing a degree other than the BSBA, TESU will allow you can have up to 9 credits (3 courses) shared between both concentrations (if both AOS are similar enough).

FYI, this is not the same as getting two different degrees (like a BA and BS) in the same graduation cycle, which is typically not allowed at TESU. They usually require you to return after the first degree is conferred with at least 24 additional credits earned after the date of degree conferral. There is an exception in that if they are both in the same academic "school" within the university, you may be able to earn two different bachelors degrees (both BA or both BS) in the same graduation cycle provided 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/AOS.

Thank you, this is precisely what I wanted to know.

It does, however, bring a couple of other questions to mind regarding a second degree (not 2nd AoS), if you (or someone else) happens to know the answers:

1. Does how a class fits into your first degree impact how it is listed in your second? E.g. if I wanted to "get a head start" on a Degree 2, could I take a class that fits into AoS 2 and use it as an elective for degree 1 but then have that credit work towards the AoS for degree 2? (Provided I also have 24 additional credits that don't overlap from one degree to another). I guess if I wanted to give less vague language I could give my example: I'm interested in BAs in both History & Psychology. If I take Intro to Psychology while working on my History BA and count it as a gen-ed or free elective for the History BA, would I later be able to count it as my Intro to Psychology requirement for the Psych degree?

2. When you say "24 additional credits earned after the date of degree conferral", does that mean I would have to not take the course itself (through Study.com/SL/whatever) until the first degree is conferred, or just not have it evaluated for credit until then?

3. How can you tell if two degrees are from the same "school" within the university? Is it by whether it's a Bachelor of Arts vs a Bachelor of Science vs whatever?
Completed:

Up Next:

(08-23-2018, 05:16 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 04:43 PM)Merlin Wrote: To be clear, a second AOS in the same degree is on top of the 120 credits required for the first degree, so the second AOS doesn't replace your electives. You're typically looking at a total of 135-144 credits to graduate with two concentrations; however, if you're pursuing a degree other than the BSBA, TESU will allow you to have up to 9 credits (3 courses) shared between both concentrations (if both AOS are similar enough).

Thank you, this is precisely what I wanted to know.

It does, however, bring a couple of other questions to mind regarding a second degree (not 2nd AoS), if you (or someone else) happens to know the answers:

1. Does how a class fits into your first degree impact how it is listed in your second? E.g. if I wanted to "get a head start" on a Degree 2, could I take a class that fits into AoS 2 and use it as an elective for degree 1 but then have that credit work towards the AoS for degree 2? (Provided I also have 24 additional credits that don't overlap from one degree to another). I guess if I wanted to give less vague language I could give my example: I'm interested in BAs in both History & Psychology. If I take Intro to Psychology while working on my History BA and count it as a gen-ed or free elective for the History BA, would I later be able to count it as my Intro to Psychology requirement for the Psych degree?

2. When you say "24 additional credits earned after the date of degree conferral", does that mean I would have to not take the course itself (through Study.com/SL/whatever) until the first degree is conferred, or just not have it evaluated for credit until then?

3. How can you tell if two degrees are from the same "school" within the university? Is it by whether it's a Bachelor of Arts vs a Bachelor of Science vs whatever?

I'm no expert, just going off of what is listed in the TESU 2018-2019 catalog combined with what I've learned from seeing others go through the process. But a dual degree is a bit more complicated, so you will probably want to discuss your plan with a TESU advisor to help plan out the specifics if you are seriously interested in doing this. However, I'll tell you what I believe to be correct...
  1. If you're planning to graduate with two degrees from the same school within the same graduation cycle, you need to make sure that 24 credits in the core/AOS for each degree are covered with credits that do not overlap and are not included as electives for the other degree. Meaning, you must assign your psych classes to count towards the Psych degree and assign your history courses to apply towards your History degree, so you will not be able to use either as electives. In other words, you'll need new electives that won't be used to fulfill either degree's core/AOS.
  2. Yes, it means you would have to wait until after your degree is conferred before starting on courses for the second degree. If you complete them before the degree is conferred, they will not count towards the next degree. This also means if you take psych classes as electives for your History degree, you will not be able to use those same classes if you return later for a Psych degree. You'll need to take different psych classes after the History degree is conferred.
  3. The TESU catalog shows which areas of study and degrees are part of which school. Basically, there are 5 schools within TESU. As long as both degrees are listed under the same school, then you should be able to complete both degrees in the same graduation cycle. So, for example, the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences offers both a BA in Psychology and BA in History, so you could do both of those. In fact, if they are just different AOS in the same core degree (BA) they are considered two AOS in the same degree and you may be able to use the 9 credit overlap.
Heavin School of Arts and Sciences
  • Communications BA
  • Computer Science ASNSM, BA
  • Criminal Justice AAS
  • English BA
  • History BA
  • International Studies BA
  • Liberal Studies AA, BA, MALS
  • Mathematics ASNSM, BA
  • Psychology BA
  • Sociology BA
School of Applied Science and Technology
  • Applied Computer Studies AAS
  • Applied Electronic Studies AAS
  • Aviation Support AAS
  • Clinical Trials Management MS
  • Computer and Information Technology AS
  • Cybersecurity BS
  • Electronics Engineering Technology AS
  • Electronics Systems Engineering Technology BS
  • Information Technology BS, MSIT
  • Information Systems MS
  • Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology BS
  • Nuclear Energy Technology AS, BS
  • Nuclear Energy Technology Management MS
  • Technical Studies AS, BS, MS
School of Business and Management
  • Accounting BSBA, MSM
  • Accounting for CPAs BSBA
  • Business Administration ASBA, MBA
  • Computer Information Systems BSBA
  • Data Analytics MBA
  • Entrepreneurship BSBA
  • Finance BSBA, MBA
  • General Management BSBA
  • Human Resources Management/Organizational Management BSBA
  • Marketing BSBA, MBA
  • Operations Management BSBA
  • Organizational Leadership BSOL, MSM
  • Project Management MSM
W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing
  • Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN Program BSN
John S. Watson School of Public Service
  • Community and Economic Development MSM, MPSL
  • Environmental Policy/Environmental Justice MSM, MPSL
  • Homeland Security MSHS
  • Homeland Security and Emergency Management BS
  • Information Technology Management for Public Service MSM, MPSL
  • Nonprofit Management MSM, MPSL
  • Public and Municipal Finance MSM, MPSL
  • Public Health MSM, MPSL
  • Public Service Administration and Leadership MSM
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(08-23-2018, 06:12 PM)Merlin Wrote: Yes, it means you would have to wait until after your degree is conferred before starting on courses for the second degree. If you complete them before the degree is conferred, they will not count towards the next degree. This also means if you take psych classes as electives for your History degree, you will not be able to use those same classes if you return later for a Psych degree. You'll need to take different psych classes after the History degree is conferred.

I appreciate the info! Quick question about the bolded part: is this the case for ALL Psych classes, or only those that would have to count towards the 24 "new" credits? I.e. since there are more than 24 credits in a Psych AoS (39, to be exact), would this apply to all 39 Psych credits, or just to the 24 that need to be "new"?

And about the not bolded, but still quoted, part: This part is only the case if they're coming from different "schools" right? Since you can do both in the same graduation cycle?
Completed:

Up Next:

(08-23-2018, 06:24 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 06:12 PM)Merlin Wrote: Yes, it means you would have to wait until after your degree is conferred before starting on courses for the second degree. If you complete them before the degree is conferred, they will not count towards the next degree. This also means if you take psych classes as electives for your History degree, you will not be able to use those same classes if you return later for a Psych degree. You'll need to take different psych classes after the History degree is conferred.

I appreciate the info! Quick question about the bolded part: is this the case for ALL Psych classes, or only those that would have to count towards the 24 "new" credits? I.e. since there are more than 24 credits in a Psych AoS (39, to be exact), would this apply to all 39 Psych credits, or just to the 24 that need to be "new"?

And about the not bolded, but still quoted, part: This part is only the case if they're coming from different "schools" right? Since you can do both in the same graduation cycle?

It sounds like the intention is that as long as there are at least 24 new credits in the AOS/core of your second degree, the balance of credits from your first degree can be used to meet any remaining requirements for the second degree.

So, for example, if your first degree is in History, and you come back for a Psychology degree which requires more than 24 credits in the AOS, as long as you have at least 24 new credits in the AOS, you could reuse courses from your History degree to fulfill any remaining requirements for the Psychology degree. This would seem to include AOS courses, as long as they are relevant.

If you're conferring two degrees in the same cycle, then it should work the same. As long as 24 credits in each AOS are unique between both degrees, the balance could theoretically be shared.

Again, speak with advising to confirm all this though.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • mysonx3
I'm so glad you decided to ask the complicated questions because now I know not to start taking courses that will apply to my future psych degree. I still don't understand why you have to wait until after you finish your first degree in order to start working towards the second. 

Could you work towards one degree at TESU while working on another degree at one of the other Big 3? Like would your psych-related free electives for a history degree at school #1 apply towards a psych degree at school #2?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 11,896 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,925 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,321 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic