Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU catalog changes, enrollement, evaluation
Hi,
I asked this before and was given an answer that wasnt quite meshing with what TESU states.

I read this morning on my TESU account, that your official evaluation is good for 1 year. No stipulation on enrolling, or catalog changes. If you enroll in less than 1 year from your evaluation, whether the catalog changed or not, without enrolling, you still can go off of your catalog that the evaluation was based upon. I was told that I had to enroll to maintain that. But it looks like that isnt true.
If someone can prove me wrong, please do! It seems clear, but there could be contradicting information from them, or someone has been told directly in an email that this isnt true. I havent even enrolled, so Im a green beginner in this stuff, Im just waiting for an evaluation. So Im posting here for the experts to straighten me out if Im wrong.

As of right now, in my admittedly inexperienced opinion, I dont need to do a tecep for a year, and I will still be golden, even though thr catalog will change in the summer of 17.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Here's the short and skinny of it all -- If you are NOT enrolled, you do not have a contract with TESU. This means that everything they tell you prior to enrollment is not binding for them and may change at a moments notice. So even if they tell you right now that you are somehow guaranteed your desired catalog for a year (which I doubt), 11 months from now they may change that policy -- and if you still haven't enrolled, you can't hold them to it.

So it's best to just get enrolled as soon as you can.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
Thanks for the info. Here is the copy and paste from my evaluation that led me to that conclusion. I'm not completely crazy Smile

"Your application and Academic Evaluation is valid for twelve months. If you decide to enroll within this twelve month time frame, this evaluation will remain valid. If you do not enroll within this time frame, you will be required to re-apply and your transfer credits will be evaluated against new degree requirements. This may result in a change from this evaluation."

So, unless they change policy to change policy (you are right, I suppose they can change whatever they want), what I stated should remain true, it's right there in print.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

10 characters

icampy Wrote:Thanks for the info. Here is the copy and paste from my evaluation that led me to that conclusion. I'm not completely crazy Smile

"Your application and Academic Evaluation is valid for twelve months. If you decide to enroll within this twelve month time frame, this evaluation will remain valid. If you do not enroll within this time frame, you will be required to re-apply and your transfer credits will be evaluated against new degree requirements. This may result in a change from this evaluation."

So, unless they change policy to change policy (you are right, I suppose they can change whatever they want), what I stated should remain true, it's right there in print.
That's what I had originally thought was the case, but searching the website I could only find that enrollment did it. This is excellent news. Now people can apply early, collect their credits, so long as they register for the Capstone (or something else) before a year is out.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
This doesn't protect you from changes that are based on enrolled by xxx date such as the TECEPs no longer counting towards residency. April, May, and June TECEPs still counted only for those previously enrolled. That particular change, announced in March 2016, was not avoidable if you weren't previously enrolled during March 2016 term or earlier. Unless $114 is a burden, just take a TECEP that you need anyway and don't risk it.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
This sentence:

Quote:If you decide to enroll within this twelve month time frame, this evaluation will remain valid

Means *exactly* what it says, and nothing more. It is only talking about your evaluation, not about the catalog. So if your transfer credits come in and are judged equivalent to some courses @ TESU, that evaluation is valid for a year. The requirements for a degree (i.e. the course catalog) can change at any time, and these transfer credits will still be accepted but may no longer be applicable to the degree. Also, every thing TrailRunr said and everything I already said.

You can make the words as big as you like, and as red as you like -- until you're enrolled, they can change their mind tomorrow and you can do nothing about it.

So.. enroll, if you're concerned about changes to the catalog, or other changes like the one regarding PF & the capstone that even being enrolled did not protect you from.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
icampy Wrote:10 characters

I believe all evaluations will be the same, when you send more transcripts over after completing courses, it'll be updated with a new date.
I think that new evaluations will bump up the time frame again, they shouldn't be changing you from one catalog to the next. Just to be safe.
You should apply, transfer courses into the program to get evaluation, continue taking courses elsewhere and if going for the BSBA, take a TECEP (capstone for BSBA).

Just curious, (I don't recall which degree you're going for), are you going to be taking any courses like the capstone with TESU?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Again, thanks for the info, guys. I reckon since it said "program evaluation" that it meant...program evaluation. What I am hearing from you is that it is solely a credit evaluation. They need to reword it, as it states "program evaluation" which says to me....evaluating how your plan for this program looks. So I will just bet on it being a credit evaluation only.

I am waiting to hear from the community college I attended right now to see if I can graduate with that degree....if they have changed their requirements too much, I will be doing 2 associates and 2 bachelors at TESU. The order I do them in...well I won't know until my evaluation is complete. And I'm not for sure on what degrees I will do. I am leaning more towards doing a business degree from PF and doing a technical studies bachelors and a history bachelors from TESU. The business degree is just for a footnote to look good on a resume, the history degree is just because I enjoy it. But I haven't decided yet for sure. Once I can start playing around with the evaluations, I will make up my mind. At least one associates will be in Mechanics and Maintenance.

I don't mind spending 114 on a tecep, there's just other courses I want to take before I do. I know I at least will need an associate's capstone. I suppose I will try to do a tecep in a month or two.

Anxious to get my evaluation done.

bjcheung77 Wrote:I believe all evaluations will be the same, when you send more transcripts over after completing courses, it'll be updated with a new date.
I think that new evaluations will bump up the time frame again, they shouldn't be changing you from one catalog to the next.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here - but if it's that if you get a new eval after the first one, that you can continue to remain un-enrolled for 12 months from that second date, and you're fine?

I would not take that chance. If you want to lock in your catalog, you must enroll to do so. Enrolling is the only way your catalog is locked in.

Catalog Currency
Students must use the Thomas Edison State University Catalog that is in effect on the date of enrollment to determine graduation requirements. However, if students change their degree program or allow their enrollment to lapse; necessary graduation requirements will be required as listed in the Catalog in effect at the time the official change or re-enrollment is recorded in the Office of the Registrar.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,015 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,680 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,151 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,683 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,748 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,367 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,616 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,341 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,400 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,876 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore