Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Aviation Management Degree
It's been a while since I have been on instantcert.com due to working a lot of hours. My year is winding down and I'm not going to make the $200k like I thought I would. I'm hovering around $145-$150k and I have two full work weeks left before I go home for Christmas break. I saw a job posting on indeed.com the other night and I submitted my resume and received a call from a recruiter. I meet all of the criteria for the position. The job itself only requires an Associate Degree for education level and a whole bunch of knowledge in the field. I have an Associates Degree and I have all the knowledge they ask for. The position is Director of Quality. I'm pretty sure someone with a Bachelors or even a Masters Degree would get the job over me. With that, I thought I'd jump on TESU web site to see if they offered a Bachelors Degree in Aviation Management and they do. Below is the degree outline but, I'm confused as to where to start. I have an AAS Degree from the Community College of the Air Force in Aviation Maintenance Technology. I have finished the 15 hours of  Gen Ed courses required for the CCAF degree. I was going to go to school and finish my Bachelors with Liberty University but, the job I am working came a long and I couldn't pass it up or the money. Also, with TESU I can CLEP a lot of my Gen Ed classes I will need. This will speed the process up faster to get to the finish line with a Bachelors.   

I will finish this degree or would like to finish it within the next 1-2 years or even less if it is permissible. I need help with articulating where to start or a plan.  

Aviation Management

The Bachelor of Science (BS) degree with an area of study in Aviation Management is designed for aviation professionals interested in advancing from a technical position to a management or leadership role. The program is limited to students who hold FAA certifications. Equivalent military training may also be considered. A total of 18 Area of Study credits must be from 300/400 level courses. The degree is a 120-credit program.

Subject/Category
Credits I. General Education Requirements                            60
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills                                         15
  • Written Communication                                             (6)    3 completed Eng 101
  • Oral Communication                                                  (3)      completed
  • Quantitative Literacy                                                  (3)      Is this Statistics?
  • Information Literacy                                                  (3)      I have no idea what this is
B. Civic and Global Learning                                                  9
  • Diversity                                                                  (3)       What CLEP test do I need or Straigtherline/Modernstates/Study.com
  • Ethics                                                                      (3)       CLEP
  • Civic Engagement                                                     (3)       What CLEP test do I need or Straigtherline/Modernstates/Study.com
C. Knowledge of Human Cultures                                          9        What CLEP test do I need or Straigtherline/Modernstates/Study.com
D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World                    8        Is this more science courses? Degree requirements below shows PHYS I and II with labs
E. Mathematics                                                                   3         Completed
F. General Education Electives                                             16

II. Area of Study: Aviation Management
A. Professional Aviation Requirements (Aviation Maintenance Technology, Aviation Flight Technology, Air Traffic Control) This can be satisfied by professional certifications and licensing.
B. Aviation Management Electives (Complete at least 21 semester hours from the following list of courses)
  • Aviation Safety (AVF-303)
  • Airline Management (AVT-301)
  • Project Management (MAN-435)
  • Airport Management (AVF-472)
  • Airline Finance and Economics (AVT-304)
  • Aviation Law (AVF-364)
  • Airline Marketing and Customer Service (AVT-305)
  • International Operations (AVT-307)
  • Crew Resource Management (AVT-306)
  • TES-100 Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies       (1)
  • Current Trends and Applications (APS-401)                   3
    III. Electives                                                             15Total                                                                       120Degree Requirements Credits: The following courses are required for the BS degree with an area of study in Aviation Management and can be fulfilled in either the General Education or Electives sections of the degree chart.              (23)
    • Technical Writing                     (3)
    • Computer Concepts                  (3)
    • Statistics                                 (3)
    • College Algebra                       (3)         completed
    • Physics I with Lab                    (4)
    • Physics II with Lab                   (4)
    • Meteorology                            (3)
This is one of those TESU degrees that they created to help military folks out - those who already have all of this on their JST or CCAF transcript, so that they're close to being done with the AOS before they even start, and just need the Gen Ed's.

Unless you had the equivalent coursework required through the military, it's going to be fairly expensive to get the Section B courses. And unless you have section A already (through a professional cert), you can't get the degree at all. They don't have these courses available at TESU.

So the question is, do you have all of these credits already?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I do not have the 21 hours of Aviation Management Electives, just the 21 hours of Professional Aviation Requirements. However, after doing some research today, I found this page on TESU site and it looks like the courses may be available to take online. I am going to call the school and talk with them about it. I have a feeling it may be doable. If not, then I will continue on with Liberty University.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/U...ptions.cfm
Yes, that's what I was saying; if you have the Professional Aviation requirements, then you are fine. You will just need to take the AM Electives through TESU.

If you need to take 21cr through them, then I would suggest signing up for Study.com, and then enrolling with the Study.com affiliate membership and only having to pay $6,350 for a year and up to 36cr. That's an awesome deal. https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/Costs-Tuition.cfm

If you actually post your transcripts here, I can set up a degree plan for you. What you posted above is hard for me to figure out what you have completed. Take off your personal info. OR, post your courses that you've completed. Either way will work. Do course #, course name, number of credits, grade if less than a C, and you should be good.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you have an FAA A&P or ATP license, they count for quite a few of the credits.
(12-13-2017, 01:55 AM)bsimi Wrote: If you have an FAA A&P or ATP license, they count for quite a few of the credits.

It only looks like they will give 21 hours for the A&P or any Professional License. I have had an A&P since 1993. The other 21 hours is the core classes for the degree itself.

(12-12-2017, 07:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, that's what I was saying; if you have the Professional Aviation requirements, then you are fine.  You will just need to take the AM Electives through TESU.

If you need to take 21cr through them, then I would suggest signing up for Study.com, and then enrolling with the Study.com affiliate membership and only having to pay $6,350 for a year and up to 36cr.  That's an awesome deal.  https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/Costs-Tuition.cfm

If you actually post your transcripts here, I can set up a degree plan for you.  What you posted above is hard for me to figure out what you have completed.  Take off your personal info.  OR, post your courses that you've completed.  Either way will work.  Do course #, course name, number of credits, grade if less than a C, and you should be good.

Hey thanks for helping me out. I have started putting together a spreadsheet with all my credits I currently have. I will attach it to my post when I get finished with it maybe tonight and you can add or remove anything to show what I need to do. 18 Gen Ed credits is what I have from 4 different schools. I hold an A&P license/certificate and will only get 21 credit hours for it. I will need to send a request to the FAA and have them send proof to the school that I hold the said license/certificate. The other 21 credits I will have to take the classes as they will be the upper 300/400 classes or core classes for the degree I'm assuming. Thanks for the link showing about Study.com. Every little bit will helps.
Some of the A&P credits will also count for general education courses. Also, you can consider the BS Aviation Maintenance Technology degree, as then you'll get 67-69 credits that cover all the upper division credits.
(12-13-2017, 05:45 PM)bsimi Wrote: Some of the A&P credits will also count for general education courses. Also, you can consider the BS Aviation Maintenance Technology degree, as then you'll get 67-69 credits that cover all the upper division credits.

Thanks bsimi. I looked at that possibility however, I already have the AAS in Aviation Maintenance Technology. I'm trying to diversify my degrees and work my way up the food change. A Management degree, from what I have seen, on most job postings requires management or business degree. I'm working as a Quality Engineer and there is no specific degree for this position. Some companies job postings would like one to have an engineering degree. I'm starting to see mechanic job listings require an AAS Aviation Maintenance Technology degree. As time goes on this will become the norm and a person will not be able to get a mechanics job without one. I'm 49 years old now and I don't want to be going to school when I'm in my 70s or turning wrenches on an aircraft. As I get older the time is just zipping by. Here it is the end of 2017 already. I have a lot of experience under my belt in my career field. I've held the position of Director of Maintenance until the company I worked for went out of business. I saw the writing on the wall way back when to finish my degree because it was going to be a mandatory thing to have.
With your A&P there will be 21 credits that apply to your Aviation Management degree, and another 3-5 credits that will apply to general ed courses if you have space in the degree for more gen eds (DC Circuits, Technical Reports and Technical Math). Also, if you have space for free electives, some of the A&P credits will count there too.
Hi, dfrecore! Please accept my apologies for taking so long to get a transcript posted. As you can see this is my last transcript I received from CCAF. It is the only one I have. All others sent to CCAF for this degree. I will list the schools and what credits I have earned at each and what classes.  CCAF granted me 30 credits for my A&P certificate back in 1997. However, I had already had my technical credits granted from my tech school. This is what I have and I greatly appreciate the help. I looked at the Study.com link you sent and that looks like my best option or not? The more I research, the more I find. It's amazing what is out there.

These are all the credits I have.

Online and B&M schools
AMU:
College Algebra – 3 credit hours
Art Appreciation - 3 credit hours

Richland Community College:
Intro to Psychology - 3 credit hours

Vincennes University:
English Comp 101 - 3 credit hours

Amarillo College:
United States Government - 3 credit hours
Publick Speaking - 3 credit hours

dfrecoreYes, that's what I was saying; if you have the Professional Aviation requirements, then you are fine.  You will just need to take the AM Electives through TESU.

If you need to take 21cr through them, then I would suggest signing up for Study.com, and then enrolling with the Study.com affiliate membership and only having to pay $6,350 for a year and up to 36cr.  That's an awesome deal.  https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/Costs-Tuition.cfm

If you actually post your transcripts here, I can set up a degree plan for you.  What you posted above is hard for me to figure out what you have completed.  Take off your personal info.  OR, post your courses that you've completed.  Either way will work.  Do course #, course name, number of credits, grade if less than a C, and you should be good.

Attached Files
.jpg   CCAF pg 1.jpg (Size: 273.08 KB / Downloads: 18)
.jpg   CCAF pg 2.jpg (Size: 203.21 KB / Downloads: 10)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 30 6,311 04-28-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 751 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 308 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 711 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 630 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 559 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 302 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 934 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,259 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,905 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74