Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA CS Help
In TESU's BA Computer Science,

What counts as an Additional General Education Electives? I need two more courses.
So far I have
5 MAT-102 General Math I 10/19/17 CR 3.00 MAT-102
5 COS-101 Introduction to Computers 06/20/13 CR 3.00 COS-101
8 MATH118 Inter Algebra 12/01/10 A 3.00 MAT-115
7 SOS-240 Conflict Resolution 03/10/18 CR 1.00 SOS-240
2 ELE-212 AC Circuits 11/10/11 CR 2.00 ELE-212
2 COM-300 Business Communication 02/27/18 CR

Where can I do a cheap COS-241 Data Structures, MAT-270 Discrete Mathematics, and COS-330 Computer Architecture online?

What about the Area Of Study (AOS) Group 1? What kinds of courses can I take other than these? Do they have to be Upper Level? 
Group 1 (In progress)
2 CAP-302 Computer Networking Systems 02/27/18 CR 3.00 CAP-302
2 CIS-311 Database Management 02/27/18 CR 3.00 CIS-311

I'm only missing 7 courses + the capstone for this degree. I'm currently taking courses at a B&M for my other degree requirements and was hoping to try to complete this online at the same time.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Study.com has some new computer courses, you might check them out
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Look at Oakton Community College for those three courses, since the Study.com variants are not ACE- or NCCRS-approved at this time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • sarg123
(04-19-2018, 09:50 AM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Where can I do a cheap COS-241 Data Structures, MAT-270 Discrete Mathematics, and COS-330 Computer Architecture online?

Unfortunately, there are no cheap options right now. You may want to do these at a local B&M CC or something. It looks like Study.com is working on an UL Computer Architecture course (CS 306), but it is still in development and isn't recommended for credit yet. Sounds like it may be ready in the summer or early Fall.

(04-19-2018, 09:50 AM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: What about the Area Of Study (AOS) Group 1? What kinds of courses can I take other than these? Do they have to be Upper Level? 

I think any CS related course will work for that, but it may depend on the course. You can see an example of recommended courses by looking at the TESU catalogue, though folks here may also have recommendations.

As for upper vs lower level, TESU requires at least 12 upper-level credits in every AOS, in addition to the 3 cr capstone. so if you have at least that many planned, you can choose LL courses for the balance. If not, you may want to focus on UL courses.

(04-19-2018, 10:30 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com has some new computer courses, you might check them out

Based on the above it looks like Database Management and Intro to Computing have already been taken. So, assuming these haven't been taken previously, that would leave the following Study.com courses as potential options:

Fundamentals of IT (CS 102)
Computer Concepts & Applications (CS 103)
Systems Analysis & Design (CS 302)
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • MrBossmanJr
(04-19-2018, 03:41 PM)Merlin Wrote: As for upper vs lower level, TESU requires at least 12 upper-level credits in every AOS, in addition to the 3 cr capstone. so if you have at least that many planned, you can choose LL courses for the balance. If not, you may want to focus on UL courses.

The 12 UL (plus Capstone 3 = 15 UL) only applies to the TESU BSBA.  All others require at TESU require 15 UL (plus Capstone 3 = 18 UL)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, Yenisei
The fastest option for 6cr of General Education Electives is to take a CLEP. Biology, Social Science, Natural Science, Chemistry, and College Math will all give you 6cr with only one test.
I've taken all of the above courses except for Chemistry. They also have several literature CLEPs that are worth 6cr however, that isn't a strong suit of mine so I haven't taken any.

If you are semi-proficient in a foreign language you could consider taking a CLEP in that language. You can even get 9cr if you place high enough. See clep.collegeboard.org/college-credit/thomas-edison-state-university for minimum scores to get 9cr.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, If you've taken the College Math CLEP already, shouldn't you have credit for both MAT-102 and MAT-103? Leaving you with only 3cr needed?

As allvia mentioned, you definitely will need to get 15 UL CS classes.

Two fast options that you could do are:

CyberSecurity Fundamentals DSST (transfers in as CIS-344)
Management Information Systems DSST (transfers in as CIS-301)
I feel ya. I am going to have to pay 1497 for Data Structures unless I can get a waiver from my community college. I need to have Calculus I done to even ask.

Another full-price problem is finding a Discrete Math or Linear Algebra Course.

On a cheerier note, I did confirm with my advisor that the TECEP CMP-354-TE100  Network Technology class garners UL (Upper-Level) credit. It also counts as enrollment if
you're running the one-year deadline post-admission and don't want to fork over $75 for another evaluation. It does not count as a residency course.

Also confirmed with my advisor that the DSST Cybersecurity test will get you upper level credit for CIS-344 Cybersecurity .
I may take both Cyber and Network Technology in order to avoid Upper-Level Finite Algebra. Discrete Math, a 200-level course, is the other option. Finite appears to be post-Calculus II in difficulty, or at least its equal, so I might be missing an opportunity to prove my mettle. I'll live.

I have not officially confirmed that this is possible with the advisor, but there doesn't appear to be a problem with distribution. Of course, taking two courses to avoid one is extreme, but I am having to take a CompTIA CySA+ exam to keep my Security+, Network+, and A+ certs current. 

Another thing I do need to check whether Study.com is available for me or makes sense ASAP. I would get $700 off of the residency waiver and some tuition perks. Only their calculus
offering would benefit me, though.
(05-09-2018, 11:35 PM)Zombie Wrote: I feel ya. I am going to have to pay 1497 for Data Structures unless I can get a waiver from my community college. I need to have Calculus I done to even ask.

Another full-price problem is finding a Discrete Math or Linear Algebra Course.

On a cheerier note, I did confirm with my advisor that the TECEP CMP-354-TE100  Network Technology class garners UL (Upper-Level) credit. It also counts as enrollment if
you're running the one-year deadline post-admission and don't want to fork over $75 for another evaluation. It does not count as a residency course.

Also confirmed with my advisor that the DSST Cybersecurity test will get you upper level credit for CIS-344 Cybersecurity .
I may take both Cyber and Network Technology in order to avoid Upper-Level Finite Algebra. Discrete Math, a 200-level course, is the other option. Finite appears to be post-Calculus II in difficulty, or at least its equal, so I might be missing an opportunity to prove my mettle. I'll live.

I have not officially confirmed that this is possible with the advisor, but there doesn't appear to be a problem with distribution. Of course, taking two courses to avoid one is extreme, but I am having to take a CompTIA CySA+ exam to keep my Security+, Network+, and A+ certs current. 

Another thing I do need to check whether Study.com is available for me or makes sense ASAP. I would get $700 off of the residency waiver and some tuition perks. Only their calculus
offering would benefit me, though.

Regarding TECEP's - unless you are under an older catalog or on the military plan, they do not count for residency.  It's a test, not a course.  But it does count for enrollment purposes.

Also, at TESU, you can tell a course is UL by the course number.  So anything 300+ is UL.  You don't have to check to make sure it's UL if they give you the course equivalency number, it's built in.

Regarding Study.com discounted prices, you will save $399 for tuition, $700 for the Residency Waiver, and $300 for the cornerstone.  So it is WELL worth it to take at least 1 Study.com course, even if you don't need it.  Take a LL course like Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Math 97, or Intro to Computing - whatever is the easiest fastest course for you to take, if you want.  Obviously you can take Calculus as well, but you're paying for 2, so do a quick easy one first.

Study.com recently added 2 UL Computer courses that might work for you:
CompSci 302: Systems Analysis & Design (CIS-321)
CompSci 303: Database Management (CIS-311)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-09-2018, 11:35 PM)Zombie Wrote: I am going to have to pay 1497 for Data Structures unless I can get a waiver from my community college. 

Study.com has a Data Structures & Algorithms course that is showing as credit eligible but I can't find it listed in either the ACE registry or NCCRS course page. Still might be worth looking into. They also have additional CS classes that could work for you, but I'd check with both Study.com and TESU first. If that doesn't work out, Westcott has a Discrete Structures class specifically designed for Computer Science students that's half the cost of what you're going to pay. If you took that one, you'd get credit via a transcript from Brandman University (a regionally accredited university.) Good luck!
(05-10-2018, 08:02 AM)Sapientes Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 11:35 PM)Zombie Wrote: I am going to have to pay 1497 for Data Structures unless I can get a waiver from my community college. 

Study.com has a Data Structures & Algorithms course that is showing as credit eligible but I can't find it listed in either the ACE registry or NCCRS course page. Still might be worth looking into. They also have additional CS classes that could work for you, but I'd check with both Study.com and TESU first. If that doesn't work out, Westcott has a Discrete Structures class specifically designed for Computer Science students that's half the cost of what you're going to pay. If you took that one, you'd get credit via a transcript from Brandman University (a regionally accredited university.) Good luck!

I think Study.com has the credit tab on all their courses whether they are eligible for credit or not. 201 Data Structures is definitely not listed.

Zombie, at least get the study.com discount of $1098 if you're forced to take the course at TESU. You'll have to get that registered for by the end of June to get that price. I take it that the CC want's Calc I as a prerequisite? If you took it as alternative credit, perhaps showing that on a TESU transcript will help break the logjam. I would also suggest contacting the department head/dean to push your case. Waiving a prerequisite often has to go to the level anyway.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,013 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,679 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,140 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,672 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,748 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,366 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,612 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore