Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA for International Student
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new in the forum and first I would like to take the opportunity to say hello and thank everyone for the effort of replying and giving amazing advice!

I'm wondering if someone can help me with some queries:

I'm an international student (therefore no USA resident but in my case a UK resident) and I'm interested to pursue a BA in Liberal Studies at TESU.  Do you think TESU has the same credit transfer policy for international students as well. 

Considering that I have no gained any credits yet (but thinking to crack on asap with CLEP exams, Shmoop and Study.com), do you suggest to first enrol at TESU or first gained some transferable credits prior TESU enrolment?

Thanks in advance everyone!
You should begin with reading the Beginners Guide and deciding exactly if the BALS is the one you want. Is there a concentration or no concentration? Are you close or far from a CLEP/DSST testing center? Do you have any IB/AP or A Level credit for transfer?

I recommend the BALS using mainly Shmoop and SL/Study.com. Check out a degree template/spreadsheet from Dfrecore and also check mine, cross reference the courses you want to take and just go do them... start with the FREE credits first (in the Guide).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The transfer policies are exactly the same.

Students have to earn at least 30 US college credits for a bachelor's degree. Transferring units from non-US institutions requires having them evaluated by a third party, but that applies to anyone transferring international credits...it's just that international students are more likely to be doing so. These links have all the particulars.

https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/Apply-In...tudent.cfm

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/I...licies.cfm
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-17-2018, 04:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You should begin with reading the Beginners Guide and deciding exactly if the BALS is the one you want.  Is there a concentration or no concentration?  Are you close or far from a CLEP/DSST testing center?  Do you have any IB/AP or A Level credit for transfer?

I recommend the BALS using mainly Shmoop and SL/Study.com.  Check out a degree template/spreadsheet from Dfrecore and also check mine, cross reference the courses you want to take and just go do them... start with the FREE credits first (in the Guide).

Thanks a lot for your reply bjcheung! I do have a High School Diploma but I completed this not in UK but in Italy (which is my country of origin, however I have been living in UK for over than 10 years by now). I can easily travel to CLEP testing centre as this is not far from my place. 

Reason why I wanted to get a BALS is because i need to have a 4 years BA in any subject in order for me to use it as VISA requirement when applying for jobs abroad. Therefore, the subject is not relevant and I was reading on the forum that BALS at TESU can be a fast one. I will definitely check the degree templates you have suggested. Do you think it's better to get some credits before enrol at TESU?

Thanks again!
Ciao amico!

I would usually recommend transferring in at least 90 credits or so before you enroll for the capstone or Area of Study (AOS concentration) courses. The majority of the general education requirements and your elective credits would be about 90 credits already. It depends on how fast/how many credits you have and what is remaining. Hope the guide helps... use this as your accountability thread.

However, that being said, some changes may occur in May/June of each year. You may want to just apply to them after you have about 30+ ACE/CLEP/DSST credits or and then enroll after you have 90 credits to lock in your calendar catalog 2017/2018 year, so newer changes won't affect you. You should not worry about anything, just start and pace yourself. Any questions, write it here...

Addio!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-17-2018, 05:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ciao amico!  

I would usually recommend transferring in at least 90 credits or so before you enroll for the capstone or Area of Study (AOS concentration) courses.  The majority of the general education requirements and your elective credits would be about 90 credits already.   It depends on how fast/how many credits you have and what is remaining.  Hope the guide helps...  use this as your accountability thread.

However, that being said, some changes may occur in May/June of each year.   You may want to just apply to them after you have about 30+ ACE/CLEP/DSST credits or and then enroll after you have 90 credits to lock in your calendar catalog 2017/2018 year, so newer changes won't affect you.  You should not worry about anything, just start and pace yourself.  Any questions, write it here...

Addio!

Ciao again amico mio and thanks again for your help!

I will start getting my first 30 credits while relying on the spreadsheet template so I can apply to them. Do you think a BALS can be achieved mainly using CLEP, Study.com and Shmoop?

Ciao!
(01-17-2018, 05:19 PM)Luka1110 Wrote: Thanks a lot for your reply bjcheung! I do have a High School Diploma but I completed this not in UK but in Italy (which is my country of origin, however I have been living in UK for over than 10 years by now). ...

Then you may also have to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) before applying.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(01-17-2018, 05:08 PM)davewill Wrote: International students have to earn at least 30 US college credits for a bachelor's degree. Otherwise, the transfer policies are exactly the same.

Transferring units from non-US institutions requires having them evaluated by a third party, but that applies to anyone transferring international credits...it's just that international students are more likely to be doing so. These links have all the particulars.

https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/Apply-In...tudent.cfm

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/I...licies.cfm

Thanks davewill. If international students have to earn at least 30 US college credits for a BA, that means that I can only transfer a max of 90 credits gained through CLEP,DSS, etc, right?

Also, as Out-of-State Resident, I will be charge $499 per credit registered. Does this mean that I will be charged $499 for the 30 US college credits? Saying that, does TESU charge for CLEP,DSS transfer of credit?

Also, is the Residency Waiver fee applicable to international students as well?

Apologies for the long list but I'm trying to figure this out as clear as possible.

Thanks again for your help!
(01-17-2018, 06:22 PM)Luka1110 Wrote: Thanks davewill. If international students have to earn at least 30 US college credits for a BA, that means that I can only transfer a max of 90 credits gained through CLEP,DSS, etc, right?

Also, as Out-of-State Resident, I will be charge $499 per credit registered. Does this mean that I will be charged $499 for the 30 US college credits? Saying that, does TESU charge for CLEP,DSS transfer of credit?

Apologies for the long list but I'm trying to figure this out as clear as possible.

Actually it's better than that. CLEP and the rest count as US college credits. You are limited to 90 credits from international institutions. You are limited to 90 credits from any single alternative credit provider, so no more than 90 from CLEP, and separately no more than 90 from DSST or Study.com or .... It's possible to graduate from TESU by taking only the 3cr Capstone course there. The rest of your 117 credits for your degree can come from alternative sources if you wish. That and the liberal transfer policies, are the features that makes the Big3 unique.

Yes, the Residency Waiver also applies to international students. Really the only thing that is specific to international students is the need for the TOEFL. Everything else is the same as for any other out of state student.

(01-17-2018, 06:32 PM)davewill Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 06:22 PM)Luka1110 Wrote: Thanks davewill. If international students have to earn at least 30 US college credits for a BA, that means that I can only transfer a max of 90 credits gained through CLEP,DSS, etc, right?

Actually it's better than that. CLEP and the rest count as US college credits. You are limited to 90 credits from international institutions. You are limited to 90 credits from any single alternative credit provider, so no more than 90 from CLEP, and separately no more than 90 from DSST or Study.com or .... It's possible to graduate from TESU by taking only the 3cr Capstone course there. The rest of your 117 credits for your degree can come from alternative sources if you wish. That and the liberal transfer policies, are the features that makes the Big3 unique.

Yes, the Residency Waiver also applies to international students. Really the only thing that is specific to international students is the need for the TOEFL. Everything else is the same as for any other out or state student.

Thanks again davewill! I already have a TOEFL (in UK is called IELST, which I assume it's the same)...in any case, I don't think it will be hard to get one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,103 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,639 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,730 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,342 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,590 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore