Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BACS & BSBA CIS at the same time?
There's a lot of fundamental knowledge that comes with a bachelor's degree in business. You need this knowledge that can't be learned by only doing an MBA.

Maybe some of you don't care about learning things but it does matter.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(09-29-2022, 09:18 AM)LevelUP Wrote: There's a lot of fundamental knowledge that comes with a bachelor's degree in business. 

In my less than completely humble opinion, a bachelors degree is a piece of paper.  The learning can be fairly disconnected from the paper and there are much cheaper ways to learn than spending $1200 for a capstone course.  What I will say though, is there might be some value in a BS over a BA prestige wise especially if you're just starting out.  If it is a job writing code, they'll probably want a Computer Science degree.  If you're going into the business side, management or a more generic IT role, CIS might be fine and the BS might look better.  If you have experience, there probably isn't much the BA would prevent you from getting.  Go get some additional certs as you move up, agile or CAPM and you'll be able to move wherever you want(with any luck your employer will pay). If you need to be more competitive, go get the MBA or MSCS/MSDS/wherever you want to go. The last program manager/product developer where I work had a history BA.

As always, have a plan for where you want to be.  If you need a lot of flexibility because you just don't know, and it fits the budget, the second bach isn't a terrible idea.  It just may not be necessary depending on how clear your vision is of where you're going.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
(09-29-2022, 09:18 AM)LevelUP Wrote: There's a lot of fundamental knowledge that comes with a bachelor's degree in business. You need this knowledge that can't be learned by only doing an MBA.

You can learn the material without getting a degree in it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-29-2022, 10:37 AM)spohara Wrote: In my less than completely humble opinion, a bachelors degree is a piece of paper. 

There is a lot of theoretical, and practical knowledge that comes with earning a bachelor's degree. That knowledge can mean the difference between making a million dollars or not. Or causing a company to go bankrupt or not.

Are residential REIT's a good investment to buy right now or not? Don't know? An understanding of economics could help answer this question.

(09-29-2022, 10:37 AM)spohara Wrote: The learning can be fairly disconnected from the paper and there are much cheaper ways to learn than spending $1200 for a capstone course.

The business capstone is a pretty good course. That being said, you can hack the course. Buy the same book, find out the assignments, and then learn on your own.

Learning on your own is a powerful skill to have. People need to take some responsibility for their learning and not blame others when they don't have the knowledge they need to succeed.

(09-29-2022, 10:37 AM)spohara Wrote: What I will say though, is there might be some value in a BS over a BA prestige wise especially if you're just starting out.

I don't think there is any value in a BS over a BA. I have never seen any reports of hiring managers discriminating against people that have a BA degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(09-30-2022, 05:33 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I don't think there is any value in a BS over a BA. I have never seen any reports of hiring managers discriminating against people that have a BA degree.

LinkedIn doesn't even allow you to choose BA Comp Sci vs. BS Comp Sci. It's just B. Comp Sci.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Arto, LevelUP
(09-30-2022, 05:33 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 10:37 AM)spohara Wrote: In my less than completely humble opinion, a bachelors degree is a piece of paper. 

There is a lot of theoretical, and practical knowledge that comes with earning a bachelor's degree. That knowledge can mean the difference between making a million dollars or not. Or causing a company to go bankrupt or not.

Are residential REIT's a good investment to buy right now or not? Don't know? An understanding of economics could help answer this question.

(09-29-2022, 10:37 AM)spohara Wrote: The learning can be fairly disconnected from the paper and there are much cheaper ways to learn than spending $1200 for a capstone course.

The business capstone is a pretty good course. That being said, you can hack the course. Buy the same book, find out the assignments, and then learn on your own.

Learning on your own is a powerful skill to have. People need to take some responsibility for their learning and not blame others when they don't have the knowledge they need to succeed.

(09-29-2022, 10:37 AM)spohara Wrote: What I will say though, is there might be some value in a BS over a BA prestige wise especially if you're just starting out.

I don't think there is any value in a BS over a BA. I have never seen any reports of hiring managers discriminating against people that have a BA degree.

I took AP econ in HS and econ was one of the first courses I took in college.  None of it taught me anything about whether REITS are a good buy.  I've learned far more from personal finance youtube channels (I really like Paul Merriman) and other reading.  And on econ, I've gone back and done a ton of independent reading on the subject.  I don't have any desire to work in the econ profession, so I don't need an econ bachelors degree(piece of paper), despite having a great personal interest in the subject.  For me, if I went back and tried to take econ courses, they'd fill in some of my knowledge gaps, but overall they'd be a waste of time and money studying things I already know and paying someone for the privilege of doing so.  So to that point - I agree with your middle point, which I think contradicts your opinion in your first point.  The knowledge is the difference between making a million or not.  The degree, not so much.  That is to show employers that someone else can verify you have at least a baseline in a topic.

And I will admit, my perception of a BS over BA is a bit of conjecture on my part.  My first reaction to a BA in CS was "that's not how CS works".  Maybe most employers don't have the same opinion.  TBH I don't know exactly what most people want to do with their BACS or if it matters.  I know for me it definitely doesn't or I wouldn't be doing the program.  I do know it is less rigorous than most, but again, you can fill in the skills gap by independent learning if employers don't care.  It's just a piece of paper after all.
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
(09-30-2022, 07:11 AM)spohara Wrote: And I will admit, my perception of a BS over BA is a bit of conjecture on my part.  My first reaction to a BA in CS was "that's not how CS works".  Maybe most employers don't have the same opinion.  TBH I don't know exactly what most people want to do with their BACS or if it matters.  I know for me it definitely doesn't or I wouldn't be doing the program.  I do know it is less rigorous than most, but again, you can fill in the skills gap by independent learning if employers don't care.  It's just a piece of paper after all.

It really shouldn't matter, and nobody has ever said anything to me. They only difference (if there actually is one) would be a little more emphasis on liberal arts courses, which honestly, more engineers could use. You still have to have all of the same math and subject area coursework. As pointed out above, most career websites don't allow the distinction to be entered.

I do recall a friend of mine getting hassled over having a BACS by Qualcomm after they had already made an offer. So weird as he had 20+ years experience. They did end up hiring him.

Of course they're a strange bunch, anyway. They were the ones that started me on my degree journey when they rescinded a consulting contract after HR reviewed it and found I didn't have a degree. They couldn't even be bothered to notify me, they just ghosted me. I had to keep calling the hiring manager asking for my start date until they finally told me. Pissed me off, so I decided to do something about it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Arto
(09-30-2022, 07:11 AM)spohara Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 05:33 AM)LevelUP Wrote: [quote pid='378581' dateline='1664465837']
What I will say though, is there might be some value in a BS over a BA prestige wise especially if you're just starting out.

And I will admit, my perception of a BS over BA is a bit of conjecture on my part.  My first reaction to a BA in CS was "that's not how CS works".  Maybe most employers don't have the same opinion.  TBH I don't know exactly what most people want to do with their BACS or if it matters.
[/quote]

The main differences at most schools between a BA and BS is not in the major - it's in the Gen Eds; you'll either be doing more Humanities/SocSci courses, or more math/science courses.  So someone getting a BACS vs. a BSCS at the same school would have all of the same courses in the major.

If you're trying to compare a BACS at one school vs. a BSCS at another, you can't really do that - at that point, you're comparing a CS degree at one school vs. another, and if one is more rigorous or whatever, it's because the CS program demands more rigor.  You may opt to get that degree because you prefer the rigor or the courses you take or whatever.  But it's not the BA vs. BS that makes the difference.  Also, remember, a BACS at one school might be more rigorous than a BSCS at another, in which case your theory is blown up again.

Also, remember that many schools don't send transcripts that show the courses taken like an evaluation - they just list all of your courses with your grades.  That's true for TESU - so you could make your BACS there look like another school's BSCS just by taking the courses the other school requires (assuming it's more rigorous); if you took Calc II & III for instance, those will just be listed along with all of the other courses you've taken.  An employer who actually cared could compare your TESU BACS to School XYZ's BSCS and see that you had the exact same courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
On that point I stand corrected then - don't worry about the additional value of having a BS if there is none. Also good to know that my degree plan has more versatility than I expected - I should have no problem getting a junior dev job if all else fails!

So instead focus on what you plan to do.  A CS degree will get you pretty much any entry level job on the technical side, and from there you should be able to move into technical management roles or even expand into business.  The guy who invented modern entrepreneurial science (lean startup) was once a programmer, worked up to senior management with that, then went full business process from there.  What do you plan to get from the BSBA?  Perhaps there's something on the marketing or client relations side of the house where those skills are of primary importance and the BSBA is going to be more valuable.  And those things might involve enough tech that you need to demonstrate that you have those kind of skills.  If you need the flexibility of both, or just aren't worried about the extra capstone or $1200, go for both.
(09-27-2022, 12:20 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, yes to everything, and you have 1 cornerstone for both degrees, 2 capstones... Just follow the WIKI. 
Just in case you missed it, here's a post of mine: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid376723 
I responded back to your inquiry into TECEPs too... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid378356

And the kicker is... anyone who does the edx micro master can get the SOS 110 transferred in...
Thus, only two capstones required at TESU will net anyone a BSBA CIS and BACS double degree.
Both the BSBA CIS and BACS will require 18 upper level credits in the Area of Study...

Out of State - Residency Waiver - TESU Fees
App: $50
Grad: $298
Edx SOS-110 $498
Capstone: $1,605
Residency: $3,288
Sub Total: $5,739
Add second Capstone: $1,605
Total: $7,344

You may want to read the entire thread... Costs Reference: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid376838

I am about complete with my BA CS, what classes would I need to take to get the BSBA CIS?  I agree with the OP, the wiki is way too confusing.

It says: 
Quote:Once you meet the requirements for a BA Computer Science degree, you would only need 4 more courses + the business capstone to have a degree in BSBA CIS.

I dont see that as the case?

Also I see that TESU no longer has BSBA CIS and its renamed to BS CIS?

ACC-101 Principles of Financial Accounting
ACC-102 Principles of Managerial Accounting
LAW-201 Business Law
FIN-301 Principles of Finance
MAN-210 Principles of Management 
MAN-372 International Management 
ECO-111 Macroeconomics 
ECO-112 Microeconomics
Capstone

That would be 9 additional classes on top of the full BA CS?  

https://www.tesu.edu/business/undergraduate/bsba
TESU - BA CS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 786 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch