Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible exceptions to NA BS transfer to TESU?
I am doing a combination of Schmoop, Penn Foster, ALEKS towards an AS & BS in Electrical Engineering Technology from Grantham University.

https://www.grantham.edu/online-degrees/...echnology/

It is NOT regionally accreddited, but is accredited by an the ABET that certifies engineering programs. If itn's not ABET it isn't engineering. Grantham's BS would still allow me to sit for a professionally engineering exam in many states. Talking with bjcheung77 I learned that I can transfer it to Excelsior fairly easy and turn it into a proper BSEET, but this route could take 140-150 or more credits to get.

Mostly I just hate hate hate the name Excelsior and having it on my resume. I remember reading a little ways back on TESU they can make some kind of exception and there was a form you could fill out to petition (there was like 7 criteria and you basically had to write an essay and get references). CarpeDiem8 mentioned in passing that TESU took Devry credits towards a BS Technical Studies for her husband. Anyone have any experience with this?

If any program as a change, BSEET to BSEET from another ABET school should be justifiable.  TESU probably wouldn't allow EE transfer credit from APU's RA Electrical Engineering program most likely, because it isn't ABET.

Anyone have any thoughts/feedback/criticism with this idea? Thomas Edison State University sounds so much better to hide that it's an online program.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Your plan may work, I don't think going the TESU ABET option would cost that amount, you can drop it a bit doing something like the following: This is what I would do if I have a lot of experience that I can "write up" about, I can do a PLA for the Area of Study at TESU.

Take the 90 FREE credits by doing all the Sophia.org courses and the FREE courses and cheap/easy/fast ones on the WIKI webpage. You'll have enough for all the lower level requirements and general education or free electives.

For the Area of Study, you can do a PLA at TESU, just follow the instructions on the PLA100-PLA200 for TESU, spend the fees for up to 24 credits. It will take time to document everything you know/learned, I would highly recommend this option.

A better option maybe - If you have a community college with online offerings near you, you can take the LL requirements for the Area of Study. If not, ECPI has an online BSET that has LL/UL transferable to TESU. Even though it may not be ABET, it won't matter, TESU will take it as they are RA credits.

I think 8-9 grand or whatever ECPI charges for those 30 credits is all that you need, plus the FREE credits going on at Sophia.org right now, just snatch up all those free credits first and wait for more info in regards to ECPI.

Further to this, you can use all the free credits to get yourself that ASNSM Computer Science and AAS Applied Electronic Studies OR the AAS Electrical-Mechanical Systems & Maintenance FREE enroute to the BSET at TESU that has ABET accreditation.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-19-2020, 10:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Your plan may work, I don't think going the TESU ABET option would cost that amount, you can drop it a bit doing something like the following: This is what I would do if I have a lot of experience that I can "write up" about, I can do a PLA for the Area of Study at TESU.

Take the 90 FREE credits by doing all the Sophia.org courses and the FREE courses and cheap/easy/fast ones on the WIKI webpage. You'll have enough for all the lower level requirements and general education or free electives.

For the Area of Study, you can do a PLA at TESU, just follow the instructions on the PLA100-PLA200 for TESU, spend the fees for up to 24 credits. It will take time to document everything you know/learned, I would highly recommend this option.

A better option maybe - If you have a community college with online offerings near you, you can take the LL requirements for the Area of Study. If not, ECPI has an online BSET that has LL/UL transferable to TESU. Even though it may not be ABET, it won't matter, TESU will take it as they are RA credits.

I think 8-9 grand or whatever ECPI charges for those 30 credits is all that you need, plus the FREE credits going on at Sophia.org right now, just snatch up all those free credits first and wait for more info in regards to ECPI.

Further to this, you can use all the free credits to get yourself that ASNSM Computer Science and AAS Applied Electronic Studies OR the AAS Electrical-Mechanical Systems & Maintenance FREE enroute to the BSET at TESU that has ABET accreditation.

I like the way you think. Instead of going COSC and adding Electronics electives onto it, AAS Applied Electronic/Electro-Mech is a much better option. The BS part is going to take a while so I'd get the AAS straight away, and I feel like it may be easier to coordinate getting the BSEET if I'm already at TESU. Community College & ECPI are out unfortunately but I think this puts a good plan together. Does TESU do minors?

No each school has their different ways of naming minors, TESU doesn't use the term "minor". Basically, the Associates and Bachelors don't have minors, each Associates degree has 18 credits for the area of study, it's either called Area of Study for the BSBA 18 credits or for the BALS degrees, a Concentration also 18 credits, and if it's a BA, a Major (over 30 credits). Lastly, the BS degrees are called Area of study, and they mainly have over 30 credits as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-20-2020, 12:39 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: No each school has their different ways of naming minors, TESU doesn't use the term "minor".  Basically, the Associates and Bachelors don't have minors, each Associates degree has 18 credits for the area of study, it's either called Area of Study for the BSBA 18 credits or for the BALS degrees, a Concentration also 18 credits, and if it's a BA, a Major (over 30 credits).  Lastly, the BS degrees are called Area of study, and they mainly have over 30 credits as well.

I did that math anyways and there isn't any room in the BSEET to put a minor even if they did them without spending a lot more credit hours and $$$. Most of my research the time of have been here has been towards COSC & EXC so I don't know the TESU way of doing things as much. To summarize:

AS Electornics Engineering or Electrical Technoloy:
Generals Core + Penn Foster Electronics Diploma
Any things to know for the TESU general core? Schmoop, SL, study.com? I've seen discussion on this I just don't know the latest

BS Electronics Engineering Technology:
Complete BSEET at Grantham and transfer in to TESU

Aside from minor fees, its a few thousand or more for the out of state fee right?

(03-20-2020, 02:10 AM)xicovu Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 12:39 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: No each school has their different ways of naming minors, TESU doesn't use the term "minor".  Basically, the Associates and Bachelors don't have minors, each Associates degree has 18 credits for the area of study, it's either called Area of Study for the BSBA 18 credits or for the BALS degrees, a Concentration also 18 credits, and if it's a BA, a Major (over 30 credits).  Lastly, the BS degrees are called Area of study, and they mainly have over 30 credits as well.

I did that math anyways and there isn't any room in the BSEET to put a minor even if they did them without spending a lot more credit hours and $$$. Most of my research the time of have been here has been towards COSC & EXC so I don't know the TESU way of doing things as much. To summarize:

AS Electornics Engineering or Electrical Technoloy:
Generals Core + Penn Foster Electronics Diploma
Any things to know for the TESU general core? Schmoop, SL, study.com? I've seen discussion on this I just don't know the latest

BS Electronics Engineering Technology:
Complete BSEET at Grantham and transfer in to TESU

Aside from minor fees, its a few thousand or more for the out of state fee right?

If you're looking to convert the Grantham BSEET to an RA & ABET degree, the BSEET at Excelsior College (EC) is a much better option than TESU as EC already accepts NA credits - so no struggle there.

As part of the "Big 3" mentioned on this forum, they have liberal credit transfer limits, similar to TESU (I think it's currently ~114-ish credits).

However, the options I provided in the grad school thread will both take the NA degree for admission.

Note: EC will require Differential Equations as a stand-alone course for their BSEET. Currently, the cheapest non-CC RA version of this course I can find is $700. HMU if you need it.

Also Note: EC's program is Electrical Engineering Technology not Electronics Engineering Technology (a plus in my book); however, Grantham's courses are almost a perfect overlay.
Working with the venerable BJ, I think I've got a good plan to do PLA portfolios for a brunt of the credit. I'll have Electronics Technician, Electrician, Automation Technician, Robotics technician by the sometime 2021 and can get the generals through the usual methods. I'd probably get the BS Electrical Technology and then spend as much time as I need on Calculus I,II and the upper level ABET courses to eventually get the proper Electronics Engineering Technology.

I agree big time that Electrical sounds better than Electronics, but they are literally the same program. Swapping "Electronic" and "Electrical" on resumes when applying for different types of roles is not really looked down on too hard. I'm pretty sure once I get this degree my work would allow me to move over and be an full-fledged Electrical Engineer even with the BSEET from having the deeper Control System background then most. That's the plan at least Smile

These are what I'm doing:
Electronics Technician: https://www.pennfoster.edu/programs-and-...er-diploma
Residential Electrician: https://www.pennfoster.edu/programs-and-...er-diploma
Automation Technician: https://www.automationprogram.com/curriculum
Robotics Technician: https://www.gbctechtraining.com/robotics-technician

I'll basically do everything for the portfolio while I'm doing the courses. I'm lining it up with https://www.ecpi.edu/online/programs/ese...lor-degree and the base BEET program and I should hit every requirement. Saving coursework, writing the essay, saving the labs and projects, and a resume with multiple work references should get me to the BS Electrical Technology. After that, depending on the exact way courses transfer over, it'll be 2 math courses, physics II, and the 3-5 UL level EE courses that require calculus and I can do them at a comfortable pace.

No tests pressure, no deadlines, I can learn how I learn doing the portfolio. I'll be able to have a way to get an engineering degree that I never could have without degreeforum.net Smile
Terry & BJ, I wouldn't been able to do it without you guys.

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 608 8 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 139 10 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,568 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 615 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 537 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 275 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 252 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 404 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 223 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX