Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Diversity Requirement
I often see Sociology or Anthropology suggested for the Diversity requirement, but would the SDC Religion 101: Intro to World Religions meet the Diversity requirement at TESU as well? It appears to come in as TESU REL-277 Intro to World Religions according to the SDC transfer agreement.
(02-27-2019, 11:42 AM)shadowgem Wrote: I often see Sociology or Anthropology suggested for the Diversity requirement, but would the SDC Religion 101: Intro to World Religions meet the Diversity requirement at TESU as well? It appears to come in as TESU REL-277 Intro to World Religions according to the SDC transfer agreement.

TESU's website lists their courses that meet the diversity requirement, and REL courses do appear on the list. I know that's not definitive, sorry.

Diversity Intercultural Literacy
ANT-101: Introduction to Anthropology
COM-335: Elements of Intercultural Communication
GLB-301: Global Issues in Society
GOG-230: World Geography
HEA-305: Women's Health
HEA-306: Men's Health
HIS-126: World History from 1600 to Present 2
HIS-210: American Civil Rights Movement
HIS-261: Introduction to Chinese History and Culture
HIS-301: African History and Culture
HIS-306: African American History
LDR-422: Leadership in a Global Environment
MAN-372: International Management
POS-282: Introduction to Comparative Politics 2
POS-315: International Relations I
POS-420: Conflict in International Relations
PSY-270: Psychology of Women 2
REL-275: An Introduction to Islam
REL-405: World Religions
REL-406: Eastern Religions
REL-407: Western Religions
SOC-101: Introduction to Sociology 1, 3
SOC-210: Marriage and the Family 1
SOC-322: Cultural Diversity in the United States
I have heard of people using World Religions courses to fill this requirement. I'm almost certain some of them have used SDC's version, but can't confirm for certain.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Thank you both.

I was actually curious because I noticed that UL World Religion was listed on their website as meeting this requirement, so thought it may work. However inspecting the DSST Equivalency list on the TESU website, I noticed the DSST world religions exam transfers in as the same course as SDC (REL-277), but is not listed there as a Diversity option. Maybe it needs to be an UL course to be considered for Diversity.
When I was considering TESU, I took the Introductory Sociology CLEP (which definitely isn't UL) and it came in fine for diversity.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-28-2019, 04:00 PM)quigongene Wrote: When I was considering TESU, I took the Introductory Sociology CLEP (which definitely isn't UL) and it came in fine for diversity.

I think what shadowgem is suggesting is not that the course used for this requirement must be UL, but rather that only the UL version of World Religions is accepted, rather than the LL version of that specific course. However, I am fairly certain that is not the case from what I have read on this forum.
Completed:

Up Next:

I guess it changed over the years, but I would have sworn that DSST World Religions took care of the diversity requirement. It's super weird to me that the UL version of the same class would take care of the requirement, but not the LL when SOC 101 does the same thing.

My advice is to knock out SOC 101, HIS 126, or ANT 101 if you haven't already, either through SDC or CLEP. Those are still in the the same ballpark as World Religions, if those topics interest you.

Don't worry about the religion course unless you can use it for something else, or want to take it for personal enrichment.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(02-28-2019, 04:40 PM)Tedium Wrote: I guess it changed over the years, but I would have sworn that DSST World Religions took care of the diversity requirement. It's super weird to me that the UL version of the same class would take care of the requirement, but not the LL when SOC 101 does the same thing.

My advice is to knock out SOC 101, HIS 126, or ANT 101 if you haven't already, either through SDC or CLEP. Those are still in the the same ballpark as World Religions, if those topics interest you.

Don't worry about the religion course unless you can use it for something else, or want to take it for personal enrichment.

I know there is at least one error in the online CLEP/DSST transfer guides, so perhaps this is another. But I would agree that it is best for the OP to take one of the "guaranteed" options.
Completed:

Up Next:

(02-28-2019, 04:24 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 04:00 PM)quigongene Wrote: When I was considering TESU, I took the Introductory Sociology CLEP (which definitely isn't UL) and it came in fine for diversity.

I think what shadowgem is suggesting is not that the course used for this requirement must be UL, but rather that only the UL version of World Religions is accepted, rather than the LL version of that specific course. However, I am fairly certain that is not the case from what I have read on this forum.

Yes, that is my concern exactly. 

SDC, SL, and DSST all appear to have the same transfer equivalency (REL-277) for World Religion. I could only find the DSST degree requirement breakdown though, so was hoping someone on here may have had success, or not in using a LL World Religions course to meet the requirement.

I realized SDC's World Religion course was evaluated as the same equivalency as the DSST (which does not appear to meet the Diversity requirement according to the TESU DSST transfer guide), so I am trying to figure out if I will still need to take something else to meet Diversity requirement..such as Sociology, or can I safely consider that box checked by having completed the SDC World Religion course.
(02-28-2019, 04:44 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 04:40 PM)Tedium Wrote: I guess it changed over the years, but I would have sworn that DSST World Religions took care of the diversity requirement. It's super weird to me that the UL version of the same class would take care of the requirement, but not the LL when SOC 101 does the same thing.

I know there is at least one error in the online CLEP/DSST transfer guides, so perhaps this is another. But I would agree that it is best for the OP to take one of the "guaranteed" options.

If that's true then, OP, I would suggest you contact the registrar by e-mail and get confirmation.

If you really want to take the SDC World Religion course, that is.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 574 2 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 125 3 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,566 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 613 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 535 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,328 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 251 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 308 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az