Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Electrical Degrees?
Personally opinion I would go with the "BSAST Electronics Engineering Technology". The Electrical Degree is not accredited by ABET and it is mostly for Electricians who probably want a leg up on the competition. I worked in construction as a electrician when I was 22 with no degree. There is nothing that an Electrician can do that an Electrical Engineer can't do, and majority of the time the Engineer will make more money.
I am bringing in a lot of the credit in.
I was actually messing around. I'm the same distance away from the the Electronics Engineering Tech degree as I am the nuke degree. Weird.
Anyway, I'm kinda bummed that I was only given 2 credits for 2 different classes. But that is exactly what it says on my JTS. If there was a 1 credit option I would love to just knock it out.
I was actually surprised that I didn't have 3 credits for both DC Circuits and Digital Electronics & Lab. 7 "C" schools. You'd think think that would have been covered. I was also a tech rep while I was in the Navy, and worked as an electronics Tech for 2 years after I got out. You think TESU would look at my resume and top off the credit for both? Would Excelsior?

As for the faster/cheaper route.
I could stay with Mechanical Engineering Technology at ODU and graduate in right around 2 years. Switch to Electrical Engineering Tech and be 2 years out if I stay at ODU, or I could graduate by the end of the year from TESU.
(TESU is more liberal with their credit awarding, part of the reason why I switched to mechanical. Figured I might as well learn both sides if I want to get into automation/robotics)
The GI bill would be paying. I would lose out on GI BAH payments, so I'd do the hard stuff here at ODU and transfer everything in. If I read it correctly, I would have to take 8 classes with TESU though for residency?
I was also looking at Excelsior College for there technology stuff, either electrical tech, or technology management.

I haven't reapplied to any of the colleges just yet. Waiting until this semester is done and I lock down my summer schedule. Chem / Thermo 1 / Dynamics / and Calc 2 are set to be the next round. Not looking forward to it.
DSST - Technical Writing - 441
CLEP - College Composition - 69

Can only test out of 2 more classes for my degree:
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - TBD
Togas Wrote:I am bringing in a lot of the credit in.
I was actually messing around. I'm the same distance away from the the Electronics Engineering Tech degree as I am the nuke degree. Weird.
Anyway, I'm kinda bummed that I was only given 2 credits for 2 different classes. But that is exactly what it says on my JTS. If there was a 1 credit option I would love to just knock it out.
I was actually surprised that I didn't have 3 credits for both DC Circuits and Digital Electronics & Lab. 7 "C" schools. You'd think think that would have been covered. I was also a tech rep while I was in the Navy, and worked as an electronics Tech for 2 years after I got out. You think TESU would look at my resume and top off the credit for both? Would Excelsior?

As for the faster/cheaper route.
I could stay with Mechanical Engineering Technology at ODU and graduate in right around 2 years. Switch to Electrical Engineering Tech and be 2 years out if I stay at ODU, or I could graduate by the end of the year from TESU.
(TESU is more liberal with their credit awarding, part of the reason why I switched to mechanical. Figured I might as well learn both sides if I want to get into automation/robotics)
The GI bill would be paying. I would lose out on GI BAH payments, so I'd do the hard stuff here at ODU and transfer everything in. If I read it correctly, I would have to take 8 classes with TESU though for residency?
I was also looking at Excelsior College for there technology stuff, either electrical tech, or technology management.

I haven't reapplied to any of the colleges just yet. Waiting until this semester is done and I lock down my summer schedule. Chem / Thermo 1 / Dynamics / and Calc 2 are set to be the next round. Not looking forward to it.

TESU doesn't give credit for what's on a resume. No accredited school will do that. You can either do a portfolio assessment (PLA), ask TESU if they will waive the remaining credit, or retake a course that is worth three credits.

Under the MDCP or Per Credit Tuition Plan, there is a 24 credit residency requirement for bachelor's degrees. The residency requirement can be fulfilled by online and guided study classes, portfolio assessment, e-Pack, or TECEP (challenge exam).
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
To add one more comment to Sananton's, TESU will waive lower credits if you have higher- for example, if you bring in credit for Calc 2 but never took Calc 1, they'll waive (or award- I can't remember). I don't know your field, but perhaps those 1 credit deficiencies fall under this kind of scenario? I'm going to see if I can find the link- I don't remember what it's called.
cookderosa Wrote:To add one more comment to Sananton's, TESU will waive lower credits if you have higher- for example, if you bring in credit for Calc 2 but never took Calc 1, they'll waive (or award- I can't remember). I don't know your field, but perhaps those 1 credit deficiencies fall under this kind of scenario? I'm going to see if I can find the link- I don't remember what it's called.

Found it:
Degree Requirements, Sequential Course Work and Course Repeat Policy

Sequential Course Work
With the exception of English Composition I and II, if a student has successfully completed a second course of sequential courses, he/she does not have to complete the first course. Please note that the reference to “sequential courses” means that knowledge of the second course is reliant on knowledge of the first course such as Calculus I and II. Students do, however, have to complete the minimum number of credits in each area to fulfill graduation requirements.
sanantone Wrote:TESU doesn't give credit for what's on a resume. No accredited school will do that. You can either do a portfolio assessment (PLA), ask TESU if they will waive the remaining credit, or retake a course that is worth three credits.

Under the MDCP or Per Credit Tuition Plan, there is a 24 credit residency requirement for bachelor's degrees. The residency requirement can be fulfilled by online and guided study classes, portfolio assessment, e-Pack, or TECEP (challenge exam).

Thanks! I might end up having to test out of some management classes as I don't think I'd have enough classes to transfer in after I get done this summer at ODU with the tough stuff.

cookderosa Wrote:Found it:
Degree Requirements, Sequential Course Work and Course Repeat Policy

Sequential Course Work
With the exception of English Composition I and II, if a student has successfully completed a second course of sequential courses, he/she does not have to complete the first course. Please note that the reference to “sequential courses” means that knowledge of the second course is reliant on knowledge of the first course such as Calculus I and II. Students do, however, have to complete the minimum number of credits in each area to fulfill graduation requirements.

Thank you!

I went over my JTS, I saw that I have 2 credits for DC, and 2 credits for Digital Electronics, BUT I did see in a different section that I have 1 credit each extra for applied DC and applied digital electronics. I might be able to sway them, though they turned it down the first time I went through the process.

Thank you again everyone! Smile
DSST - Technical Writing - 441
CLEP - College Composition - 69

Can only test out of 2 more classes for my degree:
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - TBD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,290 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore