Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - GED College Ready Credit
I applied to TESU back in the middle of June.   I did not have a GED or HS diploma.  They of course informed me that one is required in order to be enrolled as a degree seeking student.  I inquired about the mention on their web site that a waiver for that requirement may be requested.  I was informed that the only situation where a waiver will be considered is for an applicant under the age of 18 that had not yet graduated high school.

I had planned to take it anyway so it wasn't really an issue.  I took the exams over a span of 8 days in the first week of July.  I scored 195, 200, 195, 173 for Math, Social Studies, Science and Language arts respectively.  This qualified for College Ready + Credit consideration for Math, Social Studies and Science.

I had searched extensively for first hand accounts of TESU awarding credit for GED College Ready + Credit and if so, how does it come in on the transcript but I never found any specifics or confirmation.

Today they finally updated my evaluation and I wanted to post the details in case it helps others wondering the same question.

I submitted the GED exams to TESU via ACE and TESU does in fact grant credit for GED College Ready + Credit.

I did not get a sufficient score for the Language arts, but for the other 3 tests here is how they came in on my transcript:

Science: NAS-131 - Physical Science I - 3 credits
Social Studies: SOC-372 - American Society I - 3 credits
Math: MAT-121 - College Algebra - 3 Credits

I'm also waiting for the FAA to provide a letter to TESU for credits from an airman certificate.  If anyone happens to know how long that process takes please let me know.  I was unable to find any accounts from people who gone through this process at TESU.

The other interesting thing that I noticed on the eval today, is that Striaghterline Introduction to C++ Programming came in to TESU (via ACE) as COS-213 and was given 4 credits.  Which really surprised me as TESU has COS-213 as 3 credits in the catalog. That was nice news!
[-] The following 3 users Like poneill's post:
  • cookderosa, eriehiker, n2yoga
Thanks for posting this! Great job on the perfect score on the GED Social Studies test! the LA test is only 1 hour credit of LL humanities anyway, so it is not a big loss.
(08-03-2017, 11:08 PM)poneill Wrote: I applied to TESU back in the middle of June.   I did not have a GED or HS diploma.  They of course informed me that one is required in order to be enrolled as a degree seeking student.  I inquired about the mention on their web site that a waiver for that requirement may be requested.  I was informed that the only situation where a waiver will be considered is for an applicant under the age of 18 that had not yet graduated high school.

I had planned to take it anyway so it wasn't really an issue.  I took the exams over a span of 8 days in the first week of July.  I scored 195, 200, 195, 173 for Math, Social Studies, Science and Language arts respectively.  This qualified for College Ready + Credit consideration for Math, Social Studies and Science.

I had searched extensively for first hand accounts of TESU awarding credit for GED College Ready + Credit and if so, how does it come in on the transcript but I never found any specifics or confirmation.

Today they finally updated my evaluation and I wanted to post the details in case it helps others wondering the same question.

I submitted the GED exams to TESU via ACE and TESU does in fact grant credit for GED College Ready + Credit.

I did not get a sufficient score for the Language arts, but for the other 3 tests here is how they came in on my transcript:

Science: NAS-131 - Physical Science I - 3 credits
Social Studies: SOC-372 - American Society I - 3 credits
Math: MAT-121 - College Algebra - 3 Credits

I'm also waiting for the FAA to provide a letter to TESU for credits from an airman certificate.  If anyone happens to know how long that process takes please let me know.  I was unable to find any accounts from people who gone through this process at TESU.

The other interesting thing that I noticed on the eval today, is that Striaghterline Introduction to C++ Programming came in to TESU (via ACE) as COS-213 and was given 4 credits.  Which really surprised me as TESU has COS-213 as 3 credits in the catalog. That was nice news!

Congratulations! This is one of the newish programs for people earning their GED. I read about this maybe last year, but so far hadn't talked to anyone who did it!! CONGRATULATIONS!

On a totally different note, would you be willing to share your experience on my blog? There are a few parents who are considering the GED and TESU for their teens and your story would be really encouraging!
Thanks!  It was actually a pretty interesting experience.  Many years ago when I would have considered taking the GED, it was a paper test that they scheduled once a month at a big testing session.  You then had to wait for the paper tests to be scored and results mailed.  

Now however, when you can take it whenever you want and get immediate scores, it's an entirely different thing.  I was surprised and pleased by how efficient and convenient the process is today.

I know what it was like trying to learn all I could about the test and how the credit part works before taking it, so I would be happy to talk about it if it helps others.  It took a little bit of time but overall, it was a pretty painless process.

Thanks n2yoga!  I knew the LA test was only 1 credit, that's why I saved it for last.  I wasn't sure if you could retest to get a higher score once you had actually attained the GED.  I also knew that once I had the GED, I would want to focus on the degree coursework so I probably would not want to retest on a GED test.  Just 1 credit in LA was not going to save me a class in that category anyway.  I did that one last so that regardless of outcome, only 1 credit was in question.
(08-05-2017, 03:56 PM)poneill Wrote: Thanks!  It was actually a pretty interesting experience.  Many years ago when I would have considered taking the GED, it was a paper test that they scheduled once a month at a big testing session.  You then had to wait for the paper tests to be scored and results mailed.  

Now however, when you can take it whenever you want and get immediate scores, it's an entirely different thing.  I was surprised and pleased by how efficient and convenient the process is today.

I know what it was like trying to learn all I could about the test and how the credit part works before taking it, so I would be happy to talk about it if it helps others.  It took a little bit of time but overall, it was a pretty painless process.

Thanks n2yoga!  I knew the LA test was only 1 credit, that's why I saved it for last.  I wasn't sure if you could retest to get a higher score once you had actually attained the GED.  I also knew that once I had the GED, I would want to focus on the degree coursework so I probably would not want to retest on a GED test.  Just 1 credit in LA was not going to save me a class in that category anyway.  I did that one last so that regardless of outcome, only 1 credit was in question.

Yeah! I'll private message you. Thanks!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,971 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,658 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,099 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,636 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,728 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,340 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,585 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,371 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore