Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Gen Ed: Oral Communication when DEAF
Update:

This is going to federal court. DA of the US just confirmed. I sent a few people a copy of the record.
(04-21-2021, 12:56 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 12:41 PM)Jesus is Lord Wrote: Just email them and tell them about your situation. They have to be accommodating. Just an idea, you can always take that class at a local community college, they have to provide an interpreter for free, and transfer the class into TESU.

ashkir did. TESU did not. And, due to the situation at the time, taking an in-person class was wholly inappropriate for ashkir. UMPI did much better in this regard.
yeah Rachel is right. I reached out and filed the appropriate paperwork with TESU and they refused to budge and just offered worse options. Why should I have to do it at a local community school but let TESU get away with not providing that?

UMPI took Visual Communications from Sophia and fulfilled the requirement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Novo
(04-30-2021, 08:17 PM)ashkir Wrote: Update:

This is going to federal court. DA of the US just confirmed. I sent a few people a copy of the record.
(04-21-2021, 12:56 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 12:41 PM)Jesus is Lord Wrote: Just email them and tell them about your situation. They have to be accommodating. Just an idea, you can always take that class at a local community college, they have to provide an interpreter for free, and transfer the class into TESU.

ashkir did. TESU did not. And, due to the situation at the time, taking an in-person class was wholly inappropriate for ashkir. UMPI did much better in this regard.
yeah Rachel is right. I reached out and filed the appropriate paperwork with TESU and they refused to budge and just offered worse options. Why should I have to do it at a local community school but let TESU get away with not providing that?

UMPI took Visual Communications from Sophia and fulfilled the requirement.

Not disputing that TESU was not great with this issue - but they will take Study.com's Presentation Skills in the Workplace for this requirement, and that requires no actual speaking/listening either.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-01-2021, 08:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Not disputing that TESU was not great with this issue - but they will take Study.com's Presentation Skills in the Workplace for this requirement, and that requires no actual speaking/listening either.

Yep. But that is totally beside the point here. It should not be on the student to track down legally entitled accommodations.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 4 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ashkir, Novo, ss20ts, TINASAM
(05-01-2021, 08:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 08:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Not disputing that TESU was not great with this issue - but they will take Study.com's Presentation Skills in the Workplace for this requirement, and that requires no actual speaking/listening either.

Yep. But that is totally beside the point here. It should not be on the student to track down legally entitled accommodations.

This.

TESU violated Federal Law. A law that even got upheld by the Supreme Court. It violated the ADA and Civil Rights act according to the Department of Justice. The BIDEN ADMINISTRATION is pursuing this now.
(05-01-2021, 08:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Like I said, I was not disputing that.

But UMPI took a course that the student did, and they could have just said "this requirement is waived" so I'm not sure how this is different?  UMPI seems as if they still required SOMETHING, and the student was just lucky that they took a course he'd already done.  I'm not understanding why this is better somehow.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Well, we don't know what would have happened if ashkir hadn't had Visual Communications from Sophia. A few I can think of off the top of my head might be:

1. Allowing ashkir to do any presentations in ASL with an interpreter (I remember this was suggested by ashkir to both TESU and Sophia at one point and was deemed unacceptable).
2. Taking a third English/Communication class. UMPI has "PCJ 180: Intro to Professional Communication and Journalism" which looks like it has little, if any, actual oral communication requirement.
3. Using an ASL class from another institution. (I think this would be acceptable in the context of "you can do one of the above OR you can bring us proof of an ASL class.)
4. Waiving the requirement entirely and that credit goes to electives instead.

There are SO MANY paths that TESU could have taken.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts, TINASAM
and not in Ashkir's case, but for future students, there's the oral presentation in the Liberal Studies capstone that would need accommodation too. It's not just the gen ed class substitute or even the capstone issue (for those who would be BALS... which ashkir was not). There is also the issue that TESU has certain things it is supposed to do and did not. https://www.tesu.edu/about/ada/

I think the difference is: It is about the university assisting for accommodations vs a university sending mixed messages that they will waive and then they say waive but replace with another course that requires speaking....... and then went weird with lawyers involved.

Ashkir, the good thing is? You made a good decision to forget TESU and completed a Bachelors with UMPI quickly. That was amazingly fast once you started. well done
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 2 users Like P226mem's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
I think the business capstone also has an oral presentation? Whether it does or not, I forgot about that aspect.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
I just received word the DOJ has stepped forward to a lawsuit to protect future students. I am no longer involved in this case. but, I'm sure their asses are going to be handed to them by the Department of Justice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts
Interesting!
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch