Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Graduation and OOS Waiver Fees
I sent an email to academic advising and asked "Can I use student loans to pay for the graduation Fee and the In State/Out of State Waiver?"

To which they replied "unfortunately your student loans cannot be used to cover these expenses. They are fees that the students' must cover "out of pocket" or by private loan, etc."

Is this true?  You really have to a couple of thousands of dollars out of pocket? (That was my intention anyway, lol.)

Is this because I'm on the Per Credit Plan? (For testing out using other sources of credit)

Thanks for your help!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Sort of. If you were taking actual courses at TESU, then you would not have to pay the residency waiver as you could fulfill residency through taking 16 units. Anyone on the comprehensive plan would do so as a matter of course, but it's possible on the per credit plan as well.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
TESU doesn't have an in-state/out-of-state waiver. TESU doesn't have a real residency requirement in reference to how many credits you have to take with them; this has nothing to do with where you live. They have to make money somehow when you're transferring in almost all your credits, so they charge you a residency waiver fee when you do so.

I'm not even sure if paying a large graduation fee is the norm. I didn't pay one at Angelo State University. The Big 3 charge all these fees because they accept so many transfer credits. Financial aid only covers tuition and fees related to taking courses. There's no system for them to give additional financial aid for a residency waiver, annual enrollment fee, or graduation fee. Financial aid is based on how many credits you take. If you get an overage check, then you can use that money to pay for those fees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
How do you know that you can use your overage check to pay the residency waiver fee? Did you hear that from TESU?
I never really considered that before.

I, just guessing, guess that the .gov says no, to keep colleges from pumping up those fees, because the grants & loans would blindly cover it.

That is something that probably should be made aware to prospective students on here. It would suck to get a loan, just to have to pay 2k or better out of pocket. Like paying to EXIT a restroom... LOL

On the other side of the coin, how would either side know what the loan money is going towards? You're cutting a check for outstanding balance, of which those things are line items.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(01-23-2018, 10:25 PM)Bananalu Wrote: How do you know that you can use your overage check to pay the residency waiver fee? Did you hear that from TESU?

Overage checks can be used for anything.

(09-19-2017, 05:23 PM)Toastmaster Wrote: Is this true?  You really have to a couple of thousands of dollars out of pocket? (That was my intention anyway, lol.)

Yeah, it's a downside to "testing out". There are so many reasons why testing out saves time though, so we can work a little more Smile And testing out gets the degree faster, so you can earn more faster, and saves money overall.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Toastmaster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,637 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,587 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,373 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore