Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU "Overflow" Credits
I'm going to be taking some courses at a local community college as I work toward my TESU BA in History. The CC is on the quarter system (whereas TESU is obviously on the semester system). So most of my classes from the CC will be 5 quarter credits, which should translate as 3.33 semester credits at TESU. I'm wondering what happens with the "overflow" from TESU requirement categories.

As an example, I will likely end up with 20 quarter credits (which translates to 13.33 semester credits) that will likely fit into TESU's "Knowlege of Human Cultures" requirement (which requires 12 semester credits). What happens to the 1.33 extra? Is it "wasted" or does it count towards electives?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-30-2018, 05:36 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm going to be taking some courses at a local community college as I work toward my TESU BA in History. The CC is on the quarter system (whereas TESU is obviously on the semester system). So most of my classes from the CC will be 5 quarter credits, which should translate as 3.33 semester credits at TESU. I'm wondering what happens with the "overflow" from TESU requirement categories.

As an example, I will likely end up with 20 quarter credits (which translates to 13.33 semester credits) that will likely fit into TESU's "Knowlege of Human Cultures" requirement (which requires 12 semester credits). What happens to the 1.33 extra? Is it "wasted" or does it count towards electives?

Any GenEd credits that exceed the requirements for each area will be absorbed by GenEd electives. That's pretty straightforward. The problem comes in when you have the opposite. I have some courses that come in as 2.67 credits which means I'm missing 0.33 credits. That requires taking extra GenEd courses to meet the balance, but the excess ends up in GenEd electives.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-30-2018, 05:52 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 05:36 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm going to be taking some courses at a local community college as I work toward my TESU BA in History. The CC is on the quarter system (whereas TESU is obviously on the semester system). So most of my classes from the CC will be 5 quarter credits, which should translate as 3.33 semester credits at TESU. I'm wondering what happens with the "overflow" from TESU requirement categories.

Any GenEd credits that exceed the requirements for each area will be absorbed by GenEd electives. That's pretty straightforward. The problem comes in when you have the opposite. I have some courses that come in as 2.67 credits which means I'm missing 0.33 credits. That requires taking extra GenEd courses to meet the balance, but the excess ends up in GenEd electives.

Thanks for the info! Does it work the same way with Free Electives when/if my GenEd electives are full?

Yikes, that sounds...beyond frustrating. If only some of the free 1 credit courses counted towards GenEd requirements.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-30-2018, 06:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 05:52 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Thanks for the info! Does it work the same way with Free Electives when/if my GenEd electives are full?

Yikes, that sounds...beyond frustrating. If only some of the free 1 credit courses counted towards GenEd requirements.

Yes if you exceed your GenEd electives the balance overflows to free electives. After that, they are unused.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • mysonx3
(08-30-2018, 05:52 PM)Merlin Wrote: Any GenEd credits that exceed the requirements for each area will be absorbed by GenEd electives. That's pretty straightforward. The problem comes in when you have the opposite. I have some courses that come in as 2.67 credits which means I'm missing 0.33 credits. That requires taking extra GenEd courses to meet the balance, but the excess ends up in GenEd electives.

Just an FYI, TESU does not round up, so the courses come in as 2.66cr.  It probably won't make a difference, but it might.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/transfer-credit

If your credits were earned on a quarter system, the following conversion applies:

• 2 quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours

• 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours

• 4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours

• 5 quarter hours = 3.33 semester hours
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-31-2018, 12:20 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 05:52 PM)Merlin Wrote: Any GenEd credits that exceed the requirements for each area will be absorbed by GenEd electives. That's pretty straightforward. The problem comes in when you have the opposite. I have some courses that come in as 2.67 credits which means I'm missing 0.33 credits. That requires taking extra GenEd courses to meet the balance, but the excess ends up in GenEd electives.

Just an FYI, TESU does not round up, so the courses come in as 2.66cr.  It probably won't make a difference, but it might.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/transfer-credit

If your credits were earned on a quarter system, the following conversion applies:
  • 2 quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours
  • 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
  • 4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours
  • 5 quarter hours = 3.33 semester hours

It won't make any difference in my case but might be helpful for others.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,290 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore