Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU PLA query
So... is it worth it in cost and time to do one of these? I have completed formal COA training at a local college about a decade ago and worked in medical with that for the last 8 or so years until coming to take care of my mom. How many credits do they give for those? Does it vary?
Someone here had mentioned long back if maybe I had something to use for it (I haven't had time yet to ask about it) and I do actually have enough classes and actual working skills for one. COA was all medical classes, some lab intern type stuff, and somewhat challenging!
If it's just for 3 credits, I won't do it. Not worth it. But maybe if it's for more I would attempt it.
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
ACE recommends 12 lower level credits for the COA. I don't think you can get anything for the certification if your COA expired, but this can give you an idea, because it shows others with a current COA are often getting 12 credits.

For PLA, you have to prove that your knowledge meets what each course teaches. You would choose how many courses you're trying to challenge. Most people do not find it worthwhile, but if you're going for a degree that needs many healthcare courses, it could be.

TESU charges the same fee for the first 1-12 credits you challenge, so if you did it, you may want to try the full 12. But people are writing many pages per course they challenge. It can be a lot of time.

Here's TESU's PLA course database: Thomas Edison State University | Prior Learning Assessment Course Description

It's a good place to look for possible courses you could challenge using PLA. It is not exhaustive, you can also choose courses from other schools. If you think you can successfully challenge enough of them, you can get more credits. In general, if there's already a test or online course available, that will be easier than PLA. I went that route because there were too many courses for my degree that I could only get through PLA or through expensive courses. See the links at the bottom of my signature for more info.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
This is what they charge:
Portfolio Assessment Review
Up to 12 credits $389
Each additional 6 credits $221

However, you probably are required to take the PLA-100 and PLA-200 courses which take time and money. Those courses help you learn how to submit your portfolio in a successful way.

I took few course at Saylor and I was able to achieve certificates without doing Proctored Final Exam.
I was wondering if that works for Portfolio.
oldtown77 Wrote:I took few course at Saylor and I was able to achieve certificates without doing Proctored Final Exam.
I was wondering if that works for Portfolio.

You can try it, I would only recommend it for "hard to find" courses that aren't readily available for transfer.
What are the courses you want to get equivalent credit for? It's hard to tell if they will PLA them or not....
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Actually more than one class including
1. COS-241 data structure
2. Software engineering
3. Strategic Information Technology
4. CS402: Computer Communications and Networks.
5. POLSC221: Introduction to Comparative Politics.

Total 15 Hours.

I was able to get certificates for some course without doing the neither
1. Saylor Direct Credit Final Exam
nor
2. Proctored Final Exam

all what I did is the final exam and the certificate was achieved.
oldtown77 Wrote:Actually more than one class including
2. Software engineering

Total 15 Hours.

nor
2. Proctored Final Exam

You can earn credits for through ACE if you take the proctored exams for Intro to Comparative Politics, Software Engineering, and Computer Communications and Networks.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
oldtown77 Wrote:Actually more than one class including
2. Software engineering

Total 15 Hours.

nor
2. Proctored Final Exam

I just finished TESU PLA-200.

There was a guy in my class who is portfolioing those types of courses. But he has a lot of depth in that field. I think you may be conflating trying to get credit for those courses with the portfolio process.

I AM NO EXPERT HERE

..but, let me give you my thought process and see if this is right.

If you want credit for those courses, and don't have the background, you have to challenge the courses by sending in the syllabus and reasoning for why they should be equivalent.

If you want credit for a course taught or recognized at TESU similar to those courses, AND you have demonstrable college-level learning on the topics, then you can send in your intent to the PLA department, see if they will accept it, then take PLA200, set up your website, and use those classes as part of your bona fides.

People say there are backdoor ways to the PLA process; I haven't seen one successful example yet far. Doesn't mean you can't try though.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,022 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,685 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,172 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,691 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,753 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,375 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,621 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,344 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,405 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,883 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore