Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - Study.com Tuition Discount
(11-27-2017, 02:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Unfortunately, the residency waiver fee is applied after you apply for graduation, you would need to pay for the capstone course in June to reap the discounts.  The only fee you can pay later would be the 1 course you can't find cheaply, I think it's the non-western literature course.  You may want to wait until Early to Mid May before deciding... as they may have updated pricing that is cheaper than now (which I highly doubt)...

You have two options: Borrow a loan at the best or lowest interest rate, (this is the best option, as it will get your discounts on those courses vs paying for everything later at a higher price), and it helps your credit score if you pay it down without missing payments! (or borrow from family)

The other option someone mentioned was to get a credit card with 0% interest for 12 months.  If you can get one using your credit score, find one that will provide you a minimum of $5000.  Just pay the minimum required each month to keep it rolling.  Pay the final balance for everything on the 12th month.

That helps, thanks! It sounds like I could at least work toward saving for the Capstone this Spring and register for it. I could at least get the discount on that part? Then perhaps later in the fall finish up with the one course I need, plus the residency waiver and the grad fee. I will pay more by then but if I can at lease get the savings on the capstone that's something.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
In a message I got from advising: "As long as you complete the second degree within a year of paying the first fee, you will pay one time. If it takes more than a year to complete the degree you will pay the residency fee twice."

So, paying for the residency fee for your associate's should cover you for your bachelor's, assuming you finish that same year. I'm planning to pay mine before June of next year (for my ASNSM in Biology) and finish up with my BALS before the year is up.

Now, if I could only figure out how to make that Capstone work. (I wasn't planning to do it until January, 2019.)
(11-27-2017, 09:22 AM)originalamyj Wrote: TIMELINE QUESTION FOR THE DISCOUNT:

Big fees in 2018: 1 course fee that can't be found cheaply ($500), capstone ($1098), residency waiver ($1800), graduation fee ($332) = $3730. 

I assumed I would miss out on the study.com discount because I doubt I can have all of this by June. In fact I know I can't. Are you saying so long as I am registered for the capstone by June, I can lock in the lower price? This will lock in the residency waiver discount too? Can you help me with a timeline for the coming year to spread these costs out? If I can have until the end of the year that would be amazing and I can likely make it all happen without borrowing any money!  Big Grin

You only lock them in to the extent that you pay them before the end of June. For the Capstone that means registering for the July term (you pay in June) or earlier. For the residency waiver, it means paying it for your associate's, then being absolutely sure the bachelor's is awarded within a year of paying it.

Edit: If you're getting the associate's in March graduation, I think you better plan on graduating the bachelor's no later than Dec graduation.

(11-27-2017, 09:28 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: One other question @dfrecore I though you were supposed to finish everything before you enroll in the capstone? You can enroll in the capstone by June and take the rest of the year to finish fhe other stuff?

It's only a suggestion. So far, nobody's been told they can't take it earlier.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-26-2017, 09:04 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 09:03 PM)icampy Wrote: Anyone know when the $1800 waiver expires? I thought SDC said next July, but I don't remember.

6/30/18

One more question. Can I just pay that 1800 before June 30th, or do I actually need to be completely finished with everything AND have paid for it by June 30th? Could I pay that fee any time before then, then finish my degree however fast I want, or will I need to apply for graduation before that date?

If I can get it in gear, I should have everything done by then, but you know how life gets in the way sometimes.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

(12-08-2017, 01:20 PM)icampy Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 09:04 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 09:03 PM)icampy Wrote: Anyone know when the $1800 waiver expires? I thought SDC said next July, but I don't remember.

6/30/18

One more question. Can I just pay that 1800 before June 30th, or do I actually need to be completely finished with everything AND have paid for it by June 30th? Could I pay that fee any time before then, then finish my degree however fast I want, or will I need to apply for graduation before that date?

If I can get it in gear, I should have everything done by then, but you know how life gets in the way sometimes.

I'd like a clearer understanding of how this works, too.  For instance, I'll be finishing up two courses at the end of May that are both needed for my associate's in biology.  I'm wondering how I'll get transcripts to TESU in time to "graduate" by the summer & still get in on that 1800 residency waiver.  

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated!
(12-08-2017, 01:31 PM)Silly_Me Wrote: I'd like a clearer understanding of how this works, too.  For instance, I'll be finishing up two courses at the end of May that are both needed for my associate's in biology.  I'm wondering how I'll get transcripts to TESU in time to "graduate" by the summer & still get in on that 1800 residency waiver.  

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated!

OK. To graduate in June you'll be applying for graduation by April 1, and that's when you'll pay the residency waiver. Getting transcripts in from a course that doesn't finish until the end of May is pushing it pretty severely. There's no guaranty that you will make it, but it's not impossible. If you don't, you roll over to Sept graduation, and since the fees are all paid, you already have the discounted residency waiver.

Conversely, you could plan on Sept graduation, but go ahead and apply for graduation and pay the residency waiver before the 6/30 expiration of the current Study.com discount, and be OK.

TESU Graduation Info: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/Gr...mation.cfm
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Is the Lumerit discount the same as the study.com discount? I registered for the capstone and received a charge of upwards of $1600. I know I need to factor in the late fee. Fast forward, after asking multiple times for the study.com discount, I received an email stating they added the Lumerit discount and now the amount owed is $1400 (give or take). I was expecting $1098 for the capstone plus a $150 for the late fee. Am I missing something?
(02-26-2018, 08:26 AM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: Is the Lumerit discount the same as the study.com discount? I registered for the capstone and received a charge of upwards of $1600. I know I need to factor in the late fee. Fast forward, after asking multiple times for the study.com discount, I received an email stating they added the Lumerit discount and now the amount owed is $1400 (give or take). I was expecting $1098 for the capstone plus a $150 for the late fee. Am I missing something?

Not the same thing at all (didn't even know there was a Lumerit Discount).

Call back and ask again until they get it right.  Haven't heard of this problem.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 12,375 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,013 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,679 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,138 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,671 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,366 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic