Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU / Study.com
(10-02-2018, 02:22 PM)ISKBizz15 Wrote: A little more than a week ago, glad to hear they updated it. I'll take another look at it then.

As far as I know it hasn't been updated within the past week... What courses is Study.com showing as 300/400 on that equivalency guide that got rejected as UL?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-02-2018, 02:24 PM)jsd Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 02:22 PM)ISKBizz15 Wrote: A little more than a week ago, glad to hear they updated it. I'll take another look at it then.

As far as I know it hasn't been updated within the past week... What courses is Study.com showing as 300/400 on that equivalency guide that got rejected as UL?

Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation
Psychology 302: Cognitive Psychology

Sorry, I took another look at the degree plan that I put together and just realized that I got the course codes mixed up between TESU and Study.com, my mistake. Those are definitely LL courses and not UL.
GOAL 
University: UMPI
Degree: BLS Project Management
COMPLETED CREDITS 56/120
Rowan College @ BC | English Comp. I (3 cr.)
The Institutes | 312N-H Ethics  (2cr.)
Study.com | Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace (3 cr.)
ALEKS | College Algebra (3 cr.)
NFA | Q0118 - Community Safety Educators  (1 cr.)
TEEX | Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301 (6cr.)
Sophia | Principles of Finance, Art History II, U.S. History I, Intro. to Nutrition, Art History 1, Environmental Science, Intro to Web Development, Approaches to Studying Religion, Visual Communications, Intro. To Information Technologies, Intro. to Business, Ancient Greek Philosophy, Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict  (38 cr.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes ISKBizz15's post:
  • jsd
That explains it Smile

Thanks.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Anyone taken the CJ course before? I wonder how hard it is. Shows 2 assignments.
Criminal Justice 305: The Juvenile Justice System

Blah, really wish there were easier course options for UL.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Yes. The course number on study.com is not the sole indicator of whether it is UL or LL. For example, Physiological Psychology is graded as a 300 Level course on study.com, but only fulfills the LL requirements at TESU.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(10-03-2018, 12:05 AM)Supermind Wrote: Yes. The course number on study.com is not the sole indicator of whether it is UL or LL. For example, Physiological Psychology is graded as a 300 Level course on study.com, but only fulfills the LL requirements at TESU.

The course number on Study.com is their own assessment of the course difficulty and equivalency. If it is 300 series, then Study.com intended it to be an upper-level course, but ACE and/or NCCRS didn't agree and gave it a lower-division recommendation. Thus TESU did as well.

It is possible that Study.com may revise a course and resubmit it to ACE/NCCRS but I assume there is a cost associated with that so it doesn't happen often, if at all. They are working on new UL courses but I'm sure they're taking their time to ensure they can meet the ACE UL requirements the first time.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(10-03-2018, 12:52 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 12:05 AM)Supermind Wrote: Yes. The course number on study.com is not the sole indicator of whether it is UL or LL. For example, Physiological Psychology is graded as a 300 Level course on study.com, but only fulfills the LL requirements at TESU.

The course number on Study.com is their own assessment of the course difficulty and equivalency. If it is 300 series, then Study.com intended it to be an upper-level course, but ACE and/or NCCRS didn't agree and gave it a lower-division recommendation. Thus TESU did as well.

It is possible that Study.com may revise a course and resubmit it to ACE/NCCRS but I assume there is a cost associated with that so it doesn't happen often, if at all. They are working on new UL courses but I'm sure they're taking their time to ensure they can meet the ACE UL requirements the first time.

It's actually been done multiple times at Study.com - a course has been resubmitted and upgraded to UL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-02-2018, 09:04 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 12:38 AM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote: On TESU's website in a chart showing how you can transfer 90 credits from Study.com for a BA in Liberal Studies, it lists in the 300-400 level section these Study.com courses with their corresponding TESU equivalents. Note that only one of these has a 300 level code name at either place. Yet they are all listed as fulfilling the 300-400 level requirement:

STUDY.COM ------------------------------------------  TESU
Business 113: Business Communication  -----------------   COM-202: Intro to Business Communication
History 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War  ----- HIS-351: A History of the Vietnam War
Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology ------ PSY-229: Intro to Research Methods
Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology  ------------------- PSY-235: Intro to Abnormal Psychology
Psychology 104: Social Psychology  ----------------------- PSY-237: Intro to Social Psychology

This is what it reads at TESU https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/ba-degree-...al-studies
This chart is informational in nature and designed to help prospective students see how up to 90 credits from Study.com courses may be applied to the BA degree with an area of study in Liberal Studies at Thomas Edison State University. It is not an official academic evaluation. Credits earned via Study.com courses must be submitted to the University via an official Study.com transcript for credit to be awarded.

I understand the need for an evaluation regarding courses coming in, but it seems to me that it should be clear cut whether a TESU course is upper level or not. This chart https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/ba-degree-...al-studies makes it seem as if these 200 named courses at TESU would fit the upper level credit slots -- meaning I could take them at TESU and meet this requirement.

Any one know anything about this?

The way to know if something comes in as UL is by looking at the "TESU Equivalency."  If the TESU equivalency is a 300-level or 400-level course, then it's UL.  There are quite a few Study.com courses that are 300-level or 400-level per their own course numbering system, but were not ACE/NCCRS approved as UL.  So you cannot use those to figure out if they will work or not.  You can only use TESU's numbering.

The other way to know is to look the course up on ACE/NCCRS.  If it says it will come in as UL, then it would normally come in as UL at any school.  TESU follows ACE recommendations pretty closely.

Yeah that's what I thought too, but then why does TESU have these listed at the TESU website in a degree requirement table under Area of Study 300-400 level courses? Maybe, I'm misreading it.... I tried to paste a screenshot but it doesn't work.   https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/ba-degree-...al-studies.  

I'll assume it's out of date as someone mentioned and check with ACE as many have said. That's the safest route.

Thanks for the help!
(10-13-2018, 02:24 PM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 09:04 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 12:38 AM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote: On TESU's website in a chart showing how you can transfer 90 credits from Study.com for a BA in Liberal Studies, it lists in the 300-400 level section these Study.com courses with their corresponding TESU equivalents. Note that only one of these has a 300 level code name at either place. Yet they are all listed as fulfilling the 300-400 level requirement:

STUDY.COM ------------------------------------------  TESU
Business 113: Business Communication  -----------------   COM-202: Intro to Business Communication
History 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War  ----- HIS-351: A History of the Vietnam War
Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology ------ PSY-229: Intro to Research Methods
Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology  ------------------- PSY-235: Intro to Abnormal Psychology
Psychology 104: Social Psychology  ----------------------- PSY-237: Intro to Social Psychology

This is what it reads at TESU https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/ba-degree-...al-studies
This chart is informational in nature and designed to help prospective students see how up to 90 credits from Study.com courses may be applied to the BA degree with an area of study in Liberal Studies at Thomas Edison State University. It is not an official academic evaluation. Credits earned via Study.com courses must be submitted to the University via an official Study.com transcript for credit to be awarded.

I understand the need for an evaluation regarding courses coming in, but it seems to me that it should be clear cut whether a TESU course is upper level or not. This chart https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/ba-degree-...al-studies makes it seem as if these 200 named courses at TESU would fit the upper level credit slots -- meaning I could take them at TESU and meet this requirement.

Any one know anything about this?

The way to know if something comes in as UL is by looking at the "TESU Equivalency."  If the TESU equivalency is a 300-level or 400-level course, then it's UL.  There are quite a few Study.com courses that are 300-level or 400-level per their own course numbering system, but were not ACE/NCCRS approved as UL.  So you cannot use those to figure out if they will work or not.  You can only use TESU's numbering.

The other way to know is to look the course up on ACE/NCCRS.  If it says it will come in as UL, then it would normally come in as UL at any school.  TESU follows ACE recommendations pretty closely.

Yeah that's what I thought too, but then why does TESU have these listed at the TESU website in a degree requirement table under Area of Study 300-400 level courses? Maybe, I'm misreading it.... I tried to paste a screenshot but it doesn't work.   https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/ba-degree-...al-studies.  

I'll assume it's out of date as someone mentioned and check with ACE as many have said. That's the safest route.

Thanks for the help!

Apparently TESU didn't update that page when they changed their course equivalencies.  I wouldn't use it at all, it's outdated and there are tons more courses now then when this page was done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • MrsBulletPoints
More courses yes. but those courses were clearly easier in the 100 level. Wish I started this last year!
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,306 1 hour ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 522 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 320 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 232 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az