Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU UL Psych courses
So I am picking courses to take at the CC in order to get Financial Aid.

Originally I was going to take my Science courses but my post bacc pre med/natural sciences at Pitt says I can't take more than 2 of those classes prior to entry.

So looking at the psychology classes I see that my CC has many classes numbered as LL credits that the psych BA shows required courses as Upper Level.
Examples:
Psychology (TESU)(CCAC)
Research in Experimental Psychology (PSY-322)(PSY-290)
Abnormal Psychology (PSY-350)(PSY-208)
Organizational Theory (PSY-360)(PSY-116)
Social Psychology (PSY-379)(PSY-202)

So.... what do some of the TESU experienced folks think TESU would think of these classes?
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
TESU only gives LL credit when it comes from a community college. For courses that are more advanced and UL too Sad

TESU never gives UL for Community College courses.
Goal: BA/BS in Psychology

Credit Sources
Straighterline
Aleks
Study.com
Kaplan
Would you want to take them at a cheap online school? Maybe you could still get financial aid for that?

Hi Ancapman - Your best bet for Psychology courses are from Study.com - You pretty much have all the requirements done from them.
Get the majority of your General Education Requirements and LL from Straighterline since you're with them and you're so speedy.
Follow through with the wiki, it's got a BA Psychology plan from JSD, you can supplement the missing course with a LL one.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ancapman Wrote:So I am picking courses to take at the CC in order to get Financial Aid.

Originally I was going to take my Science courses but my post bacc pre med/natural sciences at Pitt says I can't take more than 2 of those classes prior to entry.

So looking at the psychology classes I see that my CC has many classes numbered as LL credits that the psych BA shows required courses as Upper Level.
Examples:
Psychology (TESU)(CCAC)

So.... what do some of the TESU experienced folks think TESU would think of these classes?

Ok, I'm a little confused by this, and need some clarification. What exactly is your goal (besides a BA in Psych from TESU)? It sounds like you want a degree of some kind at Pitt? So why are you getting a degree at TESU? Just curious, it's hard to give you advice without knowing your end goal.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I second study.com - you can apply for the study.com guardian scholarship (free six courses over 3 month time frame), including the required personal finance. The following study.com courses transfer to TESU as UL. Reminder, in the concentration you only need 15 UL credits.

PSY-105 Research in Experimental Psychology (PSY-322)
PSY-106 Abnormal Psychology (PSY-350)
PSY-104 Social Psychology (PSY-370)
BUS-307 Leadership & Org Behavior (PSY-361/MAN-311)

Study.com also offers quite a few LL PSY courses that you could choose from for the final free course. (ex Human Growth & Dev, Adulthood and Aging)

Search the forum, Org Theory is available by exam. I don't remember if it's UL or LL.
Also, if needed, the DSST Substance Abuse (SOS-305) exam fits into the AOS.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
dfrecore Wrote:Ok, I'm a little confused by this, and need some clarification. What exactly is your goal (besides a BA in Psych from TESU)? It sounds like you want a degree of some kind at Pitt? So why are you getting a degree at TESU? Just curious, it's hard to give you advice without knowing your end goal.

This is an EXCELLENT question.

Ok so Pitt is 1 VERY expensive and so for my first BA I am trying to do it cheaply and quickly so that I graduate end of fall semester. I will be applying in the end of summer semester to Pitt's Post Bacc Program in Pre-Med/Natural Sciences which will give me a BS from Pitt along with linkage and access to patient care experience via externship and volunteer experience. It also aids in study for the MCAT. Basically its the best way for a non traditional like me to gain acceptance into UPSOM which depending on rankings is either a top 10 or top 20 Med School.

I was originally going to go to a MS program to be a PA, but my practice MCAT was in the 99th percentile and I was told to go to Med School. With that said getting in to any med school let alone pitt is difficult. So the best way is to get a Degree, get accepted into the aforementioned program for post bacc and then get all the recommendations and letters from that program to enter into Pitt SOM. My backup would be LECOM Greensburg which I am pretty sure I could get into without going thru the Post Bacc but, Greensburg is about 1.5 hours each way from my home and Pitt is 30 minutes. Additionally LECOM is Osteopathic Medicine so you leave with a DO vs an MD. While the Allo and Osteo are becoming closer and closer the DO is still looked at as a lesser Doctor when applying for Residency. And because I own my home in Pittsburgh, I want to have my IM Residency at one of the 3 good IM Residency Programs In Pittsburgh; UPMC Presby, UPMC Shadyside, Allegheny General Hospital.

Now the Post-bacc program at Pitt stipulates that you cannot have more than 2 Pre-req for med school courses completed. So I could take PHY-101 and BIO 101 and be ok, but I figured I would take the rest of my general eds via straighterline, CLEP and my AOS via DSST, CooperSmith and Study.com.

BUT I cannot afford to pay for SL, CLEP, STUDY, COOPERSMITH, STUDY, TESU CAPSTONE, and SOS-450 without a student loan. In order to obtain the loan I need to take 12 credits at the least expensive place possible.. Near me that is CCAC.

Also while Pitt is willing to give a second BA degree and overlook SL, Study.com, Coopersith etc. They are unwilling to overlook them for a FIRST BA.... Its a mess, and I am not even sure why I am still Majoring in Psych other than, ADCOMS love Psych Majors (they see Bio majors all day), and I have taken all the practice DSSTs and found them to be quite easy so far.

Ok I am rambling because this is such a big ball of a mess right now.. I live, breathe college right now.. I just finished Intro to Comm (SL) and am scheduled to take the CLEP for Composition this Friday. I will also be finishing 15 more General Credits this week for a total of 65 credits less than 1 month... so apoligies I am frazzled... lol
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Ancapman Wrote:So I am picking courses to take at the CC in order to get Financial Aid.

Examples:
Psychology (TESU)(CCAC)

TESU does not say that these courses HAVE to be UL, they are just offered as UL courses at TESU.

You can take them at your CC and be fine, you just need to make sure that you have 15cr of UL (+ capstone) in the major. I would plan out which courses you're going to take at your CC, and which ones you're going to take via testing, to make sure that you get the 15cr of UL you need ahead of time.

Also, Org Theory is not listed as an elective at TESU, you would probably want to get it pre approved before you take it.

Also, since you don't want to take a bunch of science courses ahead of time, take Computers instead. They will count in the Understanding the Physical & Natural World, without getting you into trouble. (Nutrition will already go there, so you need 1 more). I suggest Intro to Computers via DSST or Study.com. If you have time, I would also do Intermediate Algebra at ALEKS if you don't already have that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:TESU does not say that these courses HAVE to be UL, they are just offered as UL courses at TESU.

You can take them at your CC and be fine, you just need to make sure that you have 15cr of UL (+ capstone) in the major. I would plan out which courses you're going to take at your CC, and which ones you're going to take via testing, to make sure that you get the 15cr of UL you need ahead of time.

Also, Org Theory is not listed as an elective at TESU, you would probably want to get it pre approved before you take it.

Also, since you don't want to take a bunch of science courses ahead of time, take Computers instead. They will count in the Understanding the Physical & Natural World, without getting you into trouble. (Nutrition will already go there, so you need 1 more). I suggest Intro to Computers via DSST or Study.com. If you have time, I would also do Intermediate Algebra at ALEKS if you don't already have that.

Thanks! Sometimes you need another "voice" to guide you during this madness. I didnt bite off more than I can chew, however I did bite off quite a bit and will likely be taking just 6 credits in the fall to complete my degree (SOS-450 since its offered nowhere else but super expensive TESU and of course the dreaded CAPSTONE). It appears other than the need for Financial Aid, that completing a degree in say 5 months is relatively easy via all the tools available, but because I dont want to apply and pay TESU (money) I am holding off until June 30th. By which time I should have 90 or so credits ready to transfer with another 24 coming in July to early august. Then once those 114 credits are good to go, I can apply to Pitt's Post Bacc program starting in the spring.

You take 1 - 1.5 years completing the postbacc and apply in the middle spring for Entry into Pitt SOM Fall of 2019, Graduating June 2023, then 3 years IM residency (Board Certified in IM), 2 Years Fellowship in Nephrology and if all goes according to plan graduate fellowship in 2028 as a Board Certified Nephrologist. Just before I turn 50.......... So this is a 12 year plan... I am just on the leading edges of this journey. But I think I can prove I am capable of drinking from the fire hose if I complete 114 credits in just 4 months. Which helps prove I am academically capable for the Med School Entry.

Essentially TLDR:
Trying to graduate Med School 6 years from now so I can practice Nephrology 5 years after that for 20 years
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ancapman's post:
  • nashpond

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,280 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore