Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU computer science courses?
I am considering enrolling in the TESU artificial intelligence course and I am also considering enrolling in the assembly language course
What prerequisite knowledge should I have before enrolling in the courses? It says that the artificial intelligence course will not require programming, so what else should I know if I take the course?
https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=COS-451&sem=

https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=COS-231&sem=
I wouldn't bother with the assembly language one unless you already had knowledge of assembly. It's easier to get LL Comp Sci credits at Study.com. If this is for a 16-credit term, pick the easiest courses, not necessarily in Comp Sci. For UL, we know that Software Engineering can be completed pretty quickly and easily.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Would it be good to still take the assembly course without prior knowledge of assembly? I want to take it, but I just don't know if I should take it now. I want to take both of these courses.
Hey, it's your call... You get to decide! Yes, No, Maybe? My recommendations are as follows...
1) Yes - If you have years of experience with computer programming in other languages or have some computer science courses under your belt, including some programming languages. If these are the only remaining courses you have left for your degree, then yeah, take the courses and be done with it.

2) No - If you have no/very little experience with computer programming, or if you have no/very less college credits in the computer science. I would only take the course if you have more experience/courses under your belt. If you're starting off just to get RA credit or starting the AOS, then no... work on the bulk of your degree before taking anything at TESU.

3) Maybe - Depending on the number of courses that are computers or computer programming related, I would recommend getting the bulk of your requirements completed first before taking any courses at TESU, so if you're already 90+ credits in, got the bulk of your courses but the Area of Study, then no... not yet, you want to make sure you have over that 90 credits and the 100+200 lower level computer courses finished (as a couple would be programming courses). I would even venture to say, maybe hold off until it's the last few courses you need to do to finish the degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-16-2021, 05:02 PM)sciencemathematics1 Wrote: Would it be good to still take the assembly course without prior knowledge of assembly? I want to take it, but I just don't know if I should take it now. I want to take both of these courses.

Why are you wanting to take the assembly course? TESU classes are too expensive if you just have a passing interest in a specific subject. 

I would instead suggest that if you have a burning passion for learning Assembly that you either study it yourself with a couple of books or you find a community college to take the classes at. For instance, College of DuPage has two 4-credit Assembly language courses: https://catalog.cod.edu/courses-a-z/cis/ Assuming you can take these courses online, each 4-credit course would be $610 or less ($138/credit + maybe a fee), which is only slightly more than the cost of a single credit at TESU. 

Oakton has "Computer Architecture and Organization" that includes Assembly programming. Oakton's 3-credit course would be about $450 after fees. 

If you were expecting to roll the cost into a 16-credit term, I know just enough about Assembly to think that this is NOT a viable option for most students who do not have prior knowledge of Assembly. 

For TESU, get your credit as quickly and as cheaply as you can. Get your degree. Then you can fill in the missing gaps in your education, as most Comp Sci graduates from most schools have to do, with self-study elsewhere.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda
My own personal take on computer science courses is that they should be fun and interactive. Unfortunately, TESU courses are primarily set up to read books and do assignments.  This works excellent for biz courses and such, not so well for CS courses. 

Did you finish WGU's CS degree?  I thought you were doing that program?

I wouldn't do TESU courses unless you need them for your degree.  If I were curious about their classes, I would look at the syllabus for the class and pick up their textbook used on Amazon for cheap.

Udemy had some fun assembly classes.  One where you make games for the Atari 2600, another where you do a bunch of projects.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jch, rachel83az
Idk if its good advice or not but I would do the Artifical Intelligence course cause if you end up in any AI field the book used in that course is like a staple. So better to read it now.

I found myself reading "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" for fun when I started with building and training neural networks, along with "Deep Learning" by Ian Goodfellow those two are books you should be reading if you want to get into any AI based stuff in the future.

If I could redo my Comp Sci degree, some courses I would have done are Calc II, Linear Algebra and that Artificial Intelligence Course, cause I still ended up learning them on my own after I graduated...unless you plan on working in embedded I wont bother with assembly, Python rules right about now...
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

There's also CS50's Introduction to Artificial Intelligence with Python.

The course lectures are also available as a YouTube playlist.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
For those out there that may have some experience with any of these, I would appreciate some input. What do you think would be the best option for an upper level cS course from tesu? I understand the tecep is the cheapest. But is it necessarily the easiest, and quickest ?

Options

Cos 451 artificial intelligence
CMP 354. Network technology
Cis 351. Software engineering
CMP 354. Network technology Tecep.
Software Engineering is currently offered every term, while Artificial Intelligence is not.

I'm currently taking Software Engineering. It's not much work and does not require writing code.

Make sure to read the wiki page describing Network Technology.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 580 3 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 127 4 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,566 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 615 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 536 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 342 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 274 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,328 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 251 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM