Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - need 1 more UL elective for BA Communication. What are my test-out options?
Hello,

I am almost done with a BA in Communication from Thomas Edison State University and need one more upper level communication elective to graduate. The Capstone drained me and I am only interested in testing-out. The adviser is saying that my only options are the following two TECEPs:
[URL="http://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=MAN-373"]
MAN-373-TE Managerial Communications[/URL] (which I am told is fairly new, and seems so due to the lack of information about this test on a general online search)
or
MAR-321-TE Marketing Communications

My preference is to take a DSST or CLEP, since I heard TECEPs are harder and also the availability of study material. Seems like TECEPs usually require a reading of the text book(s).

Am I missing any other test-out options?

There are a bunch of electives listed on the Communications degree page but doesn't quite specify the exact courses.

Much appreciate any input!

***Here's the back story:

I just finished my Capstone and thought I was all done and was about to apply for graduation in June. My academic evaluation stated all requirements were met. Even still, I asked academic advising one last time to verify that I have met all the requirements for graduation since I didn't want to waste the application fee in case there was some issue. Low and behold, they noticed that the evaluation was wrong and I needed one more UL course in Communication. So now I am looking for a fast way to meet this requirement and graduate already!

I'm wondering if I had just applied for graduation, if this issue would have even been found since the original evaluation said I met all the requirement. Or is there a final in-depth evaluation that would have caught it anyways...In any case, below are the screen grabs from the original eval versus the newly update:
Original:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1703[/ATTACH]

Updated:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1704[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">academic_eval_1.jpg (Size: 21.31 KB / Downloads: 3)
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">academic_eval_2.jpg (Size: 21.28 KB / Downloads: 1)
My suggestion would be to do a PLA Portfolio if you have any real-life experience you can document, but I haven't done one myself yet, so I am not speaking from personal experience. Thomas Edison State University | Prior Learning Assessment Course Description
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
No advice here. I just wanted to cheer you on as you reach the checkered flag.
You're almost done! :-) *early cheer!*
DSST - Technical Writing - 441
CLEP - College Composition - 69

Can only test out of 2 more classes for my degree:
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - TBD
I'm 99.99% sure it would have been caught anyway. You need 18 UL and were short 3 UL. That's pretty hard to hide. It's better you found out now than be disappointed and crushed later while thinking you are done.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
It would have been found when they audit your file for graduation.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,966 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,656 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,089 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,629 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,723 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,335 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,582 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,316 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,368 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,854 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore