Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU questions/Gen Ed's
Hey,

This is my first post on this forum. I've recently decided to go back to college (TESU) after a couple years in the work force. I completed a Paramedic program at a university which was worth 30 credits. I have also completed A&P (3) and english composition 1 (3) along with 9 credits from the University through college ROTC courses. I recently applied to TESU for the BSBA program and signed up for a month of Shmoop.com. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for courses to take at Shmoop or straighetline?

Thanks
I just did Religion and Anthropology at SL and they were great. I'm done with Psych and Env Science but waiting for final exam --not worried at all since I scored well enough on the quizzes that I can do pretty crappy on the final and still 'pass' ---so i suggest any of those as being good starters....
i'm two quizzes into Business Stats (I am HORRIBLE AT MATH!) and, aside from the massive anxiety I feel as I take a quiz, I'm liking the course --it's WAY WAY WAY better than Aleks stats. I also just started Inro to Criminal Justice and I'm really liking that one too.

I havent taken a Shmoop course yet so I cant comment.
Paramedic12 Wrote:Hey,

This is my first post on this forum. I've recently decided to go back to college (TESU) after a couple years in the work force. I completed a Paramedic program at a university which was worth 30 credits. I have also completed A&P (3) and english composition 1 (3) along with 9 credits from the University through college ROTC courses. I recently applied to TESU for the BSBA program and signed up for a month of Shmoop.com. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for courses to take at Shmoop or straighetline?

Thanks

I can recommend Intro to Criminal Justice on Straighterline. I only started a few days ago and I'm halfway done. FYI, the 'homework' and the practice tests have NOTHING to do with the actual quizzes... It's all open book, so I have just been using the e-book to search the text for answers rather than watching the presentations or reading the whole book. It's allowed.

Also before you purchase any Straighterline courses, look in the forum for coupon codes (this thread has some http://www.degreeforum.net/showthread.php?t=28021 ). There is one in particular (CONGRATS50) that someone said could be used for multiple classes in your cart. I wish I had known this because I used it on only one class and was very upset when I found out.

If you're going for a BALS, Shmoop has more utility, if you're going for a BSBA, then it's not that helpful...
Anyways, read through my signature. I have two templates created for the BALS/BSBA, it'll help you a bit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Paramedic12 Wrote:Hey,

Thanks

Shmoop is almost all LIT with a little ENG and HIS sprinkled in. This is GREAT for the BALS in Social Sciences and good for Gen Ed Electives + 9cr in Human Cultures (29cr total).

Run through at least 3 of their courses and you've knocked out the "Knowledge of Human Cultures" section. Knock out another 7 courses and you have fulfilled all of your Gen Ed electives.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
I just completed ALEKS college algebra with a 70% on the initial exam. Does anyone know how long it takes ACE to approve the credits after sending course info to them? I also just completed shmoop American History since 1877. This week, I plan on finishing ALEKS intermediate algebra and Intro to stats along with a straigherline course or two. I was thinking about sighing up for Pysch, Soc, Intro to criminal justice. Any suggestions from you guys?
See if you can apply for the Guardian Scholarship at study.com as it gives you six free courses and because of their partnership pricing you will get discounts with TESU on tuition and the residency waiver. Even if you don't get the scholarship make sure you take at least one month with them (2 courses). For the $199 one month subscription you will be saving over $1000. The residency waiver alone costs $2500 but is reduced to $1800 for study.com affiliate members.

ACE usually takes a couple of days to a week to post. I've had a few post in a 24 hour time period and one post after a full week. I think the average was somewhere between 3-5 days.

BTW, congrats on your first post and I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful advice and encouragement here. I couldn't have completed my degree without this forum.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I hear so many good things about Shmoop but they don't offer any of the classes that I require for completion since Im doing the BSBA - from what I've seen, the layout is pretty functional.
TESU Commencement - Saturday, September 23, 2017!

Goal: TESU, BSBA General Management by September 2017
68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month
Prin of Mgmt, Org Behavior, Bus Law, Prin of Fin (DSST)

November 2016
TESU Info Session (waived app fee + free breakfast)
Previous B&M - 45 cr. transferred
March 2017
Aleks - Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Intro to Stats
Institutes - Ethics
Guardian Scholarship Awarded 3/23/17
April 2017
Study.com - Personal Finance, Digital Marketing & Advertising
May 2017
World Religions, Pr. of Marketing
rlw74 Wrote:See if you can apply for the Guardian Scholarship at study.com as it gives you six free courses and because of their partnership pricing you will get discounts with TESU on tuition and the residency waiver. Even if you don't get the scholarship make sure you take at least one month with them (2 courses). For the $199 one month subscription you will be saving over $1000. The residency waiver alone costs $2500 but is reduced to $1800 for study.com affiliate members.

ACE usually takes a couple of days to a week to post. I've had a few post in a 24 hour time period and one post after a full week. I think the average was somewhere between 3-5 days.

BTW, congrats on your first post and I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful advice and encouragement here. I couldn't have completed my degree without this forum.

Hi, the scholarship page says 3 months free, not 6 courses free.... so I am assuming if you can't do 2 courses per month, you would lose out?

Mab81 Wrote:Hi, the scholarship page says 3 months free, not 6 courses free.... so I am assuming if you can't do 2 courses per month, you would lose out?
That's a theme with a lot of the distance learning programs. If you aren't committed to powering through quickly, you can waste a lot of money on recurring membership or per term fees. WGU is highly thought of here, but if you actually take 4 years to do a bachelor's with them, it is no longer inexpensive at all.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,022 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,687 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,175 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,693 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,754 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,375 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,622 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,347 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,406 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,886 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore