Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU vs CMU vs FHSU for Computer Science ?
I'm not sure I would call TESU a B&M school since every college has administrative offices. WGU has offices in my city. TESU teaches some nursing classes on campus, but even the nursing program is mostly online. But, since TESU is largely unknown and has "state" in its name, people are likely to think it's B&M.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-20-2019, 09:41 AM)sanantone Wrote: I'm not sure I would call TESU a B&M school since every college has administrative offices. WGU has offices in my city. TESU teaches some nursing classes on campus, but even the nursing program is mostly online. But, since TESU is largely unknown and has "state" in its name, people are likely to think it's B&M.

Personally, I consider TESU an online university, though given their nursing school requires B&M courses I guess it would be more appropriately considered a hybrid, at least for that aspect of the college. Though like you said, I would think that many people assume TESU is a B&M school with online classes, so that probably helps it's reputation a bit when compared to more visible online schools.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
so after spending last 3 days looking through.

The best I could find for a BS in CS online from a 'tier 1 ' school would be Auburn U, or U of Florida, and ASU (Software E). U of Az has a Bs in Comp Engineering. I doubt I can find the pre-req online though.

The other option was UVA's BIS with a concentration in IT

I can't find anything else, I'm still looking. But if anyone know's of any tier 1 schools offering a BS in CS or something close, i'm open !

Else I'll prob go with TESU's BA in CS, following by a MS in CS or SE. I see Boston U has a MS in SE program.

Oh, I've also found Tulane University. They offer a hybrid ? Bs in Applied Computing.

Not sure how many on-campus that requires.
(02-19-2019, 06:30 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 05:27 AM)nyvrem Wrote: Just wondering, cost and duration of program aside, if you were going to pick a CS program base on it's curriculum and school's reputation -

Which Computer Science program would you pick?

Links below for each program.

TESU - BA in CS (is less math heavy, 39 hours of CS major)

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/computer-science

FHSU - BS in CS (Seems to have more major hours in CS (65 hours)

https://www.fhsu.edu/cs/Academic-Program...er-science

CMU - BA or BS in CS (difference between BA and BS is 8 hours of language vs 8 hours of analytics, only 40 major hours, with no Calculus requirements) 

https://www.centralmethodist.edu/academi...degree.php

I see all those as pretty much equivalent in that none of those schools, nor CS programs, particularly stand out. They are all run of the mill RA colleges. As far as I know, none of them have gained ABET accreditation for their CS program. Not that ABET accreditation is required, it is a nice to have though.

Out of curiosity, did you intend to exclude the WGU CS program? I'd put that in the same academic ballpark as these. You could probably complete the degree quicker with a lower price point to boot. I have heard that WGU will be seeking ABET accreditation for their CS program once they have graduated enough students through their existing program to meet the criteria for assessment.

How many credits can I transfer from alternative source to FHSU - BS in CS to being accepted and what are the fees or tuition to finish this degree? thanks..

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(03-24-2019, 09:09 PM)gams007 Wrote: How many credits can I transfer from alternative source to FHSU - BS in CS to being accepted and what are the fees or tuition to finish this degree? thanks..

did you look at their website ?
(03-24-2019, 09:09 PM)gams007 Wrote: How many credits can I transfer from alternative source to FHSU - BS in CS to being accepted and what are the fees or tuition to finish this degree? thanks..

I don't know if they take general ACE-recommended alt credit like Straighterline et al, but they do at least take CLEP, DSST, and offer some other options, up to 60 for a bachelors it appears: https://www.fhsu.edu/cpl/documents/Credi...licy-final
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 250 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 209 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,260 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 559 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 567 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 414 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,034 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 387 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,200 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,032 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM