Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Clep Tests on Active Duty?
I will be active duty infantry after getting out of Army OSUT this september. I will be enrolled with Excelsior College and am going to be taking alot of cleps since they are free the first time around, and I would like to complete my degree quickly.

How exactly will I be able to clep test while in the army? Do I do these test on the weekend at the testing center? Are they only open during the week? Do i then have to get permission from my platoon sergeant?

Thank you for your answers. They are appreciated. I'm just trying to prepare the best I can.

-Alex
Excelmywayup Wrote:I will be active duty infantry after getting out of Army OSUT this september. I will be enrolled with Excelsior College and am going to be taking alot of cleps since they are free the first time around, and I would like to complete my degree quickly.

How exactly will I be able to clep test while in the army? Do I do these test on the weekend at the testing center? Are they only open during the week? Do i then have to get permission from my platoon sergeant?

Thank you for your answers. They are appreciated. I'm just trying to prepare the best I can.

-Alex

When you get to your duty station, you'll will inprocess your base and one of those places will be the Education Center. Testing is usually done during the week and during duty hours. So yes, you will have to get permission, make an appointment in most places and take your exam. Normally you will get time to take courses and exams, unless you are out for training in the field or something like that. Even when you are deployed overseas, there are testing centers over here as well.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Thanks sarge. It's nice to have an E-8 on this forum. What MOS are you? I'll be leaving OSUT as an E-3. Are the platoon sergeants lenient in letting soldiers take tests that they have made appointments for, assuming it just a regular training day, and not in the field like you had mentioned?

Also I see you went to excelsior. Did you take any classes there? How were they?

This is my degree plan: The tests that have taken class next to them mean I have taken the class and received credit.
Bachelor of Science in Business, Concentration: General Business from Excelsior College
Arts and Science – 60 Needed
CLEP History of the United States I 3 Instant Cert
CLEP History of the United States II 3 Instant Cert
CLEP College Composition 3 Taken Class
CLEP Humanities 6 Instant Cert
CLEP Biology 6 Instant Cert
CLEP College Mathematics 6 Instant Cert
CLEP Introductory Psychology 3 SpeedyPrep
CLEP American Government 3 Instant Cert
CLEP Social Sciences and History 6 Book
CLEP Microeconomics 3 Instant Cert
CLEP Macroeconomics 3 Taken Class
CLEP Introductory Sociology 3 Instant Cert
CLEP American Literature 6 SpeedyPrep
CLEP College Algebra 3 Taken Class
DSST Principles of Statistics 3 Instant Cert or MAT-201 Statistics 3 Excelsior College

Career Component – 45 Needed (12 Upper)
CLEP Financial Accounting 3 Taken Class
CLEP Intro to Business Law 3 Taken Class
CLEP Information Systems 3 Instant Cert
CLEP Principles of Management 3 Instant Cert
CLEP Principles of Marketing 3 Instant Cert
DSST Principles of Finance 3 Instant Cert or BUS-350 Principles of Finance 3 Excelsior College
DSST Business Ethics Instant Cert or 3 BUS-323 Business Ethics 3 Excelsior College
BUS-553 Organizational Behavior 3 Excelsior College
ACC-212 Managerial Accounting 3 Excelsior College
BUS-520 Operations Management 3 Excelsior College
BUS-495 Business Strategy 3 Excelsior College
BUS-300 Introduction to Entrepreneurship 3 Excelsior College
BUS-312 Managing Human Resources 3 Excelsior College
BUS-310 Entrepreneurial Marketing 3 Excelsior College
DSST Management Information Systems 3 Instant Cert or BUS-452 Business Leadership 3 Excelsior College

Electives – 15 Needed ( Electives will most likely be covered by AARTS )
Information Literacy 1
CLEP Precalculus 3 Book
CLEP Natural Sciences 6 SpeedyPrep
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature 6 SpeedyPrep

Thank you very much sarge.
-Alex
Excelmywayup Wrote:Thank you very much sarge.

Alex,
If you want a rude awakening when you go to infantry training and OSUT, go ahead and call your drill instructor "Sarge", and see what happens. No one in their right mind (in the military) would call me Sarge, unless they outrank me, even then it's still a form of disrespect.
But anyways, you'll learn all about it when you call your Drill "Sergeant" Sarge.
I'll shoot you a PM a little later with other info and answer your questions.
clep101

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Is the correct address Sergeant or Master Sergeant?

Sorry
When you get to your unit after basic talk to your TEAM LEADER and see what day you can go to the ed center. Im sure they will let you go at least once a week, you are going to have to do alot of training when you get to your real unit.
TESC BSBA: CIS graduate Sept. 2011
Excelmywayup Wrote:Is the correct address Sergeant or Master Sergeant?

Sorry

Everyone calls me Master Sergeant, but technically you can still call me Sergeant according to military courtesies and customs for the Army. Unless I wear a diamond in the middle of my chevrons, then the proper address would be First Sergeant.

CLEPs Passed
DSSTs Passed

Excelmywayup Wrote:Electives – 15 Needed ( Electives will most likely be covered by AARTS )

I can tell you right now that you better not depend on your AARTS to cover your 15 electives. You will not come out of OSUT with that many credits. You'll get 2 maybe 3 credits tops for infantry training. You wont start filling up the AARTS until you start going to the leadership schools, combat lifesaver courses, etc. So have another plan for the electives. I tell you from my experience of my old Airborne Infantry days.

CLEPs Passed
DSSTs Passed

thanks master sergeant.
apologies again.
Excelmywayup Wrote:thanks master sergeant.
apologies again.

no need to apologize, I was just messing with you, in a serious kinda way.Big Grin

CLEPs Passed
DSSTs Passed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Louisville - Masters (Active Duty) bjcheung77 0 668 06-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,887 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,802 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Free CLEP Score Send Question TheMaskedMutant 4 2,337 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  Principle of Marketing CLEP Lyle912 1 1,974 04-08-2018, 12:33 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  CLEP/DSST Exams jchef15 1 3,300 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dcan
  How many Classes is it safe to take a year while on active duty? EazyE 14 7,992 06-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study resources for clep preppyboy 4 2,794 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Taking a break between Associates and Bachelors mps2015 8 3,291 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  Veterans - Tests Approved for Reimbursement jmeitrem 7 2,244 03-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning