Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technical Writing will not replace Comp II at TESU
I was looking to take the DSST Technical Writing exam as it does come into TESU as ENG-201 (vs i.e. the Shmoop version coming in as an UL Tech Writing) a perfect match to what TESU has on their website for the Written Communications requirement.  I figured I couldn't go wrong! but just to be sure I should confirm it with TESU as not one person has posted here that they have been able to get a Technical Writing course to fill the requirement...so I emailed and asked, here is there response I just received.

'Thank you for the inquiry. Well, the DSST exam "Technical Writing" does transfer into TESU as ENG-201. However, the TESU webpage that lists ENG-201 as going towards "Written Communication" is incorrect. Instead, ENG-201 could be counted as either as general education elective or a free elective. The DSST exam "Principles of Advanced English Composition" would transfer in as ENC-102. Apologies for any confusion as we get the site updated'.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-24-2018, 05:06 PM)allvia Wrote: I was looking to take the DSST Technical Writing exam as it does come into TESU as ENG-201 (vs i.e. the Shmoop version coming in as an UL Tech Writing) a perfect match to what TESU has on their website for the Written Communications requirement.  I figured I couldn't go wrong! but just to be sure I should confirm it with TESU as not one person has posted here that they have been able to get a Technical Writing course to fill the requirement...so I emailed and asked, here is there response I just received.

'Thank you for the inquiry. Well, the DSST exam "Technical Writing" does transfer into TESU as ENG-201. However, the TESU webpage that lists ENG-201 as going towards "Written Communication" is incorrect. Instead, ENG-201 could be counted as either as general education elective or a free elective. The DSST exam "Principles of Advanced English Composition" would transfer in as ENC-102. Apologies for any confusion as we get the site updated'.

I can confirm this. Shmoop's Professional Writing came in as ENG-306 Inter. Tech. Wrtg. & Prof. Wt. and fell within my Liberal Studies - Humanities section of the BALS.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • sarg123
There have been mixed messages about this. A number of people have recently been able to use versions of technical writing in place of ENC-102. It seemed like the deciding factor was whether they were on the 2018 catalog or not. People in the 2018 catalog were able to ask for this course to be used in place of ENC-102 but those in 2017 and earlier could not. That may be the case here as well, or it may be that they are changing their minds again. It's hard to tell with TESU since they are so inconsistent... particularly when you ask advising since they're often wrong. Ultimately it comes down to the evaluation team and what they decide anyway, which is a different group.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
It doesn't seem to be the catalog, as the change isn't listed in the catalog area - it's on the 2016 Gen Ed page. It distinctly says that there are 3 options to fulfill the 6cr of Written Communications - English 1, English 2, and Technical Writing. On that page, they also changed the Info Lit Requirements, and while Technical Writing used to be an option there, it isn't any longer. This change happened at the same time.

Usually, catalog changes happen on July 1 of each year, so this isn't a catalog issue.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-24-2018, 10:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It doesn't seem to be the catalog, as the change isn't listed in the catalog area - it's on the 2016 Gen Ed page.  It distinctly says that there are 3 options to fulfill the 6cr of Written Communications - English 1, English 2, and Technical Writing.  On that page, they also changed the Info Lit Requirements, and while Technical Writing used to be an option there, it isn't any longer.  This change happened at the same time.

Usually, catalog changes happen on July 1 of each year, so this isn't a catalog issue.

Those changes on the website went up in January of 2018, and you're right they aren't in the catalog. However, this theory came up when we were trying to figure out why some people were able to use tech writing in info lit and some people could use it as eng 2. Folks who were on an older catalog appeared to be seeing the course apply to info lit and not eng 2, while people who just recently applied/enrolled were seeing the opposite. Obviously, it is all conjecture based on observation but seemed to hold true over a few examples.

At this point, it feels like a waste of time to consult TESU advising on stuff like this since every other response appears contradictory some days. It seems like the only way to know for sure is to have a course evaluated and see where it lands, and then ask for it to be moved (or challenge) where you think it should go if it doesn't end up there automatically. It would be nice if they could get on the same page, or leave the advising on external course evaluation be redirected to that team instead.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(04-24-2018, 06:52 PM)Merlin Wrote: There have been mixed messages about this. A number of people have recently been able to use versions of technical writing in place of ENC-102. It seemed like the deciding factor was whether they were on the 2018 catalog or not. People in the 2018 catalog were able to ask for this course to be used in place of ENC-102 but those in 2017 and earlier could not. That may be the case here as well, or it may be that they are changing their minds again. It's hard to tell with TESU since they are so inconsistent... particularly when you ask advising since they're often wrong. Ultimately it comes down to the evaluation team and what they decide anyway, which is a different group.

I've read every post on this forum daily for the past year+ and as I stated above I have not seen one person post that they ended up getting the Technical Writing to be accepted to meet the Written Communications (even if it was the ENG-201).  All the Shmoop ENG-306 requests to have TESU accept it as such were denied, but the course would still fit into the General Education area (so credits not wasted).

If I have somehow missed a post where this is not the case and someone did get TESU to accept the Technical Writing to meet the Written Communications requirement in place of the Comp II I would love it if you could share that link; as I would be glad to go back to TESU with some sort of argument that it has been accepted in place of Comp II.  I would much prefer to take the Tech Writing than Comp II.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • sarg123
I got denied too and I am on the 2018 catalog. They said that Technical Writing fulfilling the Written Communication Eng Comp II requirement was an error on their site.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(04-25-2018, 09:10 AM)allvia Wrote: I've read every post on this forum daily for the past year+ and as I stated above I have not seen one person post that they ended up getting the Technical Writing to be accepted to meet the Written Communications (even if it was the ENG-201).  All the Shmoop ENG-306 requests to have TESU accept it as such were denied, but the course would still fit into the General Education area (so credits not wasted).

If I have somehow missed a post where this is not the case and someone did get TESU to accept the Technical Writing to meet the Written Communications requirement in place of the Comp II I would love it if you could share that link; as I would be glad to go back to TESU with some sort of argument that it has been accepted in place of Comp II.  I would much prefer to take the Tech Writing than Comp II.

I know I read it at one point, and put a note in my spreadsheet about it.

The change to their website is fairly new, so there might not be a ton of people that have even tried.

(04-25-2018, 10:39 AM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: I got denied too and I am on the 2018 catalog. They said that Technical Writing fulfilling the Written Communication Eng Comp II requirement was an error on their site.

AND, just checked, it's STILL there on the website as an option.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I also got denied. I tried after seeing people on here that were "pretty sure that it works". Shot down 100%. Not sure why it's still there.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Have you tried appealing pointing out that it's been on the site for quite some time now and still hasn't been corrected?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,638 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,730 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,342 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,590 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore