Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tell my about your Graduate Program.
Smile 
Hello everyone! It's been a long time, I've recently completed my BSCSIA at WGU (Western Governors University) I am now looking for a good Masters program, I've been researching in person and online schools. 

I think my dream school would be CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) with their masters in Security based Policy. One of my close family members attended and completed their program. While it is expensive and semi difficult to get into, I still might try to get into the program. I've been exploring HES (Harvard Extension School) options along with UPENN's (University of Pennsylvania) MCIT program. GA (Georgia Tech) also has great online offerings. As you can see, I haven't decided on anything.

I want to know about graduate degree's you have completed or attended, and what the experience was like. 
  • What school did you attend?  
  • Was the degree online or in person?
  • What was your Major?
  • Did you enjoy the degree? If so, what did you enjoy about it? If not, why was it bad? 
  • What was your total cost when the program was completed?
  • How long did it take you to complete the degree?
  • What was the style of the classes being taught? Competency based? Traditional? Hybrid? 
  • Did this degree give you a promotion or some type of social mobility?
  • Any information you want to include. 

If you all shared your experiences with me, I would greatly appreciate it, I'm hoping this form post can possibly act as a guide for those looking at graduate schools.  

WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Life_One's post:
  • schlocker
(07-15-2022, 02:16 PM)Life_One Wrote:
  • What school did you attend?  
  • Was the degree online or in person?
  • What was your Major?
  • Did you enjoy the degree? If so, what did you enjoy about it? If not, why was it bad? 
  • What was your total cost when the program was completed?
  • How long did it take you to complete the degree?
  • What was the style of the classes being taught? Competency based? Traditional? Hybrid? 
  • Did this degree give you a promotion or some type of social mobility?
  • Any information you want to include. 

I'm currently attending Amberton University in the MBA in Strategic Leadership program. It's available online and in person. I love the program. I'm glad I gave them a shot. I was very hesitant because the school does have Christian principles and that was an issue for me at another university as I'm not a religious person. But nothing has been about religion at Amberton. All courses are 3 credits and tuition is $285 per credit plus there some session fees that are about $35. I'll be done in 3 sessions because I transferred credits and I took extra courses to finish quicker. This is a session/semester based program at 10 weeks long with weekly deadlines that vary for each class. There are very few exams. My exams have no been proctored but have been open book. Don't think open book means easy. It doesn't. You can't copy the question and google it or search in a digital book for the answer. They write the questions so that doesn't work. Each class has a number of discussions, papers, and projects. I've only had 1 class with exams so far. I think there's 1 more class with an exam in my course plan. I'll graduate in November but I'm sticking around to complete a second master's degree. They only offer bachelor's and master's in business programs. Nothing in IT/CS except Agile Project Management and Enterprise Analytics. They have certificates which are free to complete. If you plan wisely you can complete 1 or more certificate alongside your master's degree.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Ideas, Life_One, origamishuttle
My grad degree was 100% classroom-based from a nice little school in Boston.  Two clinical internships were thrown in for good measure.  I worked part-time as well and so once in a while I got to sleep.  That degree has formed the core of my career and while I've gone through other training programs, academic and otherwise, I never really ever needed anything more than that degree.  The cost was moderate by today's standards but at the time it was pretty expensive.  I was able to pay off those loans with a few well-flipped houses.  It was worth every penny.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Life_One
I am just starting my first two classes at the Jack Welch Management Institute. The program is amazing so far. It’s online. 12 week terms. The workload manageable. I already feel supported by the school and recognized by my professors. There’s a fantastic mix of materials…. Video, audio, online articles, business-related books (not “textbooks”). There are optional zoom sessions with the professors, deans, writing coaches. Anything that is pertinent to the class is recorded and posted for people to view later.

Written assignments aren’t bogged down by APA7. You do need to learn to cite references properly, but you have a few different options you can use. We have a free subscription to Grammarly, the Wall Street Journal and LinkedIn learning.

There’s JWMI connect which is basically a social networking site for students and alumni.

I have tried a few other classes here and there and i tend to get put off by the mostly hands off approach I had experienced. It is clear that my professors are highly experienced not only in business but in teaching at the graduate level.

The total program cost is a bit over $40,000. BUT…. after employer reimbursements, my final cost will be significantly less. I estimate somewhere around $5,000 - $8,000. It will just depend on how I space it out.

Between the cost, workload, and the materials & support they provide, I am am very happy.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 4 users Like Vle045's post:
  • Ideas, Life_One, origamishuttle, suzycupcake
What school did you attend? Duke University
Was the degree online or in person? Online
What was your Major? Quantitative Management
Did you enjoy the degree? If so, what did you enjoy about it? If not, why was it bad? I am loving the degree. It is the perfect mix between data science and business.
What was your total cost when the program was completed? Just under $70,000 when I finish.
How long did it take you to complete the degree? 19 months
What was the style of the classes being taught? Competency based? Traditional? Hybrid? Pre-Recorded lectures with live lectures every Saturday morning.
Did this degree give you a promotion or some type of social mobility? In discussions with my company on heading up the data analytics department. So we shall see.
Any information you want to include.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 3 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Life_One, origamishuttle
(07-17-2022, 09:48 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: What school did you attend? Duke University
Was the degree online or in person? Online
What was your Major? Quantitative Management
Did you enjoy the degree? If so, what did you enjoy about it? If not, why was it bad? I am loving the degree. It is the perfect mix between data science and business.
What was your total cost when the program was completed? Just under $70,000 when I finish.
How long did it take you to complete the degree? 19 months
What was the style of the classes being taught? Competency based? Traditional? Hybrid? Pre-Recorded lectures with live lectures every Saturday morning.
Did this degree give you a promotion or some type of social mobility? In discussions with my company on heading up the data analytics department. So we shall see.
Any information you want to include.

I haven't thought about Duke University in a long time! My stepbrother had a tour of Duke his senior year of high school, he took me with him. What an awesome place!
That sounds like a unique program, especially with the schedule and course structure. Glad it's going well for you!
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 13 337 04-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Is there any way to enrol into the WGU MBA program as an international student? FM1 9 329 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 31 25,763 04-25-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 16,193 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  NYU SPS Guaranteed Admission Program smartdegree 6 570 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 660 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,163 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,076 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,804 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,873 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden