Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan
Interesting, are you in Arkansas, New Mexico, or Texas?  It's great you've got some credits under your belt including the registered dental assistant license... The ENMU CDIS program looks interesting as well.  Did you go through the following websites to get more details?  Are you going for a BA Psych and then a BS CDIS?

ASHA Assistants Link: https://www.ashaassistants.org/pathways-...assistant/
Texas SLPA Link: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/slpa/slp-assistant-apply.htm
ENMU CDIS Link 1: https://www.enmu.edu/academics/degrees-p...ses-online
ENMU CDIS Link 2: https://www.enmu.edu/academics/degrees-p...-disorders
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm on the Arkansas Texas border. Living on Arkansas.Going to school in Texas currently and getting my SLPA license in Texas. The school I'm transferring to online for 24 CDIS credits is in New Mexico. Texas has 2 pathways to becoming an SLPA, so no I don't plan on getting my BS in CDIS unless something knows of a competency based or Test out option.

(12-15-2023, 02:05 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Interesting, are you in Arkansas, New Mexico, or Texas?  It's great you've got some credits under your belt including the registered dental assistant license... The ENMU CDIS program looks interesting as well.  Did you go through the following websites to get more details?  Are you going for a BA Psych and then a BS CDIS?

ASHA Assistants Link: https://www.ashaassistants.org/pathways-...assistant/
Texas SLPA Link: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/slpa/slp-assistant-apply.htm
ENMU CDIS Link 1: https://www.enmu.edu/academics/degrees-p...ses-online
ENMU CDIS Link 2: https://www.enmu.edu/academics/degrees-p...-disorders

I'm on the Arkansas Texas border. Living on Arkansas.Going to school in Texas currently and getting my SLPA license in Texas. The school I'm transferring to online for 24 CDIS credits is in New Mexico. Texas has 2 pathways to becoming an SLPA, so no I don't plan on getting my BS in CDIS unless something knows of a competency based or Test out option. Also, ASHA is a national certification and not required for most states. ENMU allows you to take whatever classes you need in this degree, and there are only two pre-req classes for observation and clinicals. I've had conversations with the CDIS department at ENMU as well as the TDLR to make sure this was a viable option.
That's great, you've done more research than many others who join the board. Since you mentioned a couple states, I thought you would have wanted the extra ASHA info. Anyways, it seems you know what pathway you wanted - BA Psych & 24 extra credits. I would work on the TESU BA Psychology link that I have in an earlier post, complete all the credits using Sophia.org first, then Study.com to get the bulk of the major, you can then finish with the 15 credit flat rate at TESU. I would suggest creating that spreadsheet and placing the credits you have in it, save the file to one/google drive, link us to it, make the link viewable not editable, we can then inform you of changes if any is needed.

(12-15-2023, 11:15 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's great, you've done more research than many others who join the board.  Since you mentioned a couple states, I thought you would have wanted the extra ASHA info.  Anyways, it seems you know what pathway you wanted - BA Psych & 24 extra credits.  I would work on the TESU BA Psychology link that I have in an earlier post, complete all the credits using Sophia.org first, then Study.com to get the bulk of the major, you can then finish with the 15 credit flat rate at TESU.  I would suggest creating that spreadsheet and placing the credits you have in it, save the file to one/google drive, link us to it, make the link viewable not editable, we can then inform you of changes if any is needed.
I don't know what spreadsheet you're talking about. I'm not interested in making one at the moment, if that's what you mean. I'm not doing the BA in psych at TESU after seeing research methods (basically another stats class) is required.

I looked at the Liberal studies w/psych concentration, however that wouldn't give me a good foundation to get a good job if there's ever a shortage in SLPA jobs. So really it looks like the only good fit would be Childhood Studies or Child Development - those degrees typically only require one math, just not the one from COSC. The ones from UAGC or Walden University would work great, but they are both for profit and seem to have a bad reputation (especially UAGC).
UMPI seems like the better choice for a BA Psychology degree due to cost and it's at your own pace. Also, you need at least a masters in psychology to do much. With a bachelor's, you can work as a teacher or a caseworker. With a masters you can get clinical licensure and have many more options. PhD opens up even more.
(12-16-2023, 03:05 PM)zadaea Wrote: UMPI seems like the better choice for a BA Psychology degree due to cost and it's at your own pace. Also, you need at least a masters in psychology to do much. With a bachelor's, you can work as a teacher or a caseworker. With a masters you can get clinical licensure and have many more options. PhD opens up even more.

I've written psychology off completely because every psych degree I've looked at requires a research methods course and i had a horrible experience with statistics. I don't want to go into the psych field, I just need any degree that would be helpful when working with children. My career goal is to get my SLPA license. I'm now looking into childhood studies or child development because they USUALLY don't have a research methods requirement. Walden University BA in childhood studies looks like the only program that MIGHT be a viable option, and only IF I could knock out a substantial amount of credits via ACE/NCCRS courses.
(12-16-2023, 02:43 PM)amleigh Wrote: I'm not doing the BA in psych at TESU after seeing research methods (basically another stats class) is required.

You can shop around for a transfer course to meet this requirement that's light on statistics, emphasizing more qualitative issues of study design and how to understand published research. Study.com Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology looks friendly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • rachel83az
Basically, for each degree/institution or educational journey - It really depends on personal preference in getting to that 'goal', there are so many ways to play things out as the pathways mentioned in the links show multiple ways of getting there. Even individuals who have just an associates degree can get the SLPA, you just need to make sure the requirements are met...

I would follow post #17, Jonathan Whatley has mentioned working on Study.com Research Methods in Psychology, there are other options but this is probably the 'easiest/fastest' option for you and at an affordable cost. If you're not going towards the TESU/UMPI BA Psychology degree, you can always go for their BALS/BLS with a minor in Psych. You're just need a degree plus the 24 credits from ENMU...

Lastly, a spreadsheet is used for reference and tracking purposes, I usually recommend that once you have decided on your degree/institution and you use it to 'see' where everything goes, make changes, keep a record of how you are doing, and if you link us, we'll provide options or recommendations that may be different than what's already within the WIKI plans.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,404 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 418 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,329 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,276 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 15,598 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accelerate Newlane degree with unaccredited degree? Pinko64 5 698 10-31-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,617 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,359 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Is it possible to get a bachelor's degree in anything with mostly Sophia, etc? whiverem 19 2,457 06-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone have a backup plan for me? learningthehardway 16 1,536 06-19-2023, 07:14 AM
Last Post: learningthehardway