Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree
It seems as though there was an error the first time my transcripts were reviewed and I will only have to complete 10 classes now! I am currently enrolled in 2 classes and they are both relatively easy. I hope to finish up data driven decision making by the end of the weekend.
[-] The following 4 users Like goldendoodle101's post:
  • nomaduser, rachel83az, ss20ts, Tedium
FYI I believe both accept Sophia credits and likely other ACE credits. I know TAMUCT does. The transfer person at the college told a student I chatted with, that anything that looks like it should line up with their classes would be considered. He had cleared 6 Sophia courses for transfer at that time. Then I talked to someone whose child did the TAMUC Org leadership and she said they accepted his ACE credits, but needed to stay on top of them to get them brought in properly.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • nomaduser
I was interested in that program but their tuition is not cheap! For non-residents, they charge $820 per credit.....
They accept max 90 ACE credits for transfer but you'll still be charged at least $24,000.
Wait guys,

I'm realizing that they charge $3500 per 15 credits for non-residents.
That is only $233 per credit!

Is this the actual tuition fee?
They accept max 85 transfer credits out of 120. So you can finish the program for $8,155 (35 x $233).

Do they accept Sophia.org ACE credits?? I think this could be a good deal but I'm not very sure about the actual tuition fee for non-residents. I may need to ask them.

Wow! actually, this program is amazing!

"Out-of-State Residents* pay a flat-rate tuition fee of $2500 per seven week term, regardless of how many courses/competencies the student enrolls in during the term.
Tuition for general education/core curriculum will also include e-textbooks that are incorporated in the online competency modules."

So, If I transfer all of 90 credits, I can finish the program for under $5k.
I need to check if they accept ACE credits.
[-] The following 2 users Like nomaduser's post:
  • alab21, rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com
At the risk of reviving a dead thread, I was poking around the TAMU Commerce website and saw their BAAS in Organizational Leadership CBE program is now: "Texas residents pay $750 per term and out-of-state residents pay $1,500 per term."
They also have a competency-based BS in Criminal Justice. It's unknown whether the same flat-rate pricing applies to that program as well. It lists no cost information.

Also, for 2022, their athletics have upgraded to a Division I school.

This program might become competitive with UMPI for some since the pricing is similar. Texas A&M Commerce may be the stronger brand with more potential for regional relevance and connections for those who may live or work in the Mid-South and Southwest regions. (Or those who want to. Lots of space to live in Texas.)

Personally, I'm applying to see what credits will transfer. If the gap to completion seems like a doable/affordable thing, I may pull the trigger. I'm driving distance from campus and could get more involved than I could most other schools frequently discussed on the forum.
Yeah, it's a good price for Texas residents. For almost everyone else, UMPI is the better choice. At least, financially speaking.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-06-2022, 03:02 PM)raycathode Wrote: At the risk of reviving a dead thread, I was poking around the TAMU Commerce website and saw their BAAS in Organizational Leadership CBE program is now: "Texas residents pay $750 per term and out-of-state residents pay $1,500 per term."
They also have a competency-based BS in Criminal Justice. It's unknown whether the same flat-rate pricing applies to that program as well. It lists no cost information.

TAMU-Commerce is $750/7-week term for in-state, and $1500/7-week term for out-of-state.  This breaks down to $107/wk (IS) and $214/wk (OOS).

To give you some other prices per week (which is the only way to compare apples-to-apples):
NAU is $115/wk
WGU is $130-$148/wk
UMPI is $175/wk
UofWisc is$188/wk
PUG is $250/wk

So if you're in-state, it's the cheapest option available; if you're out of state, it's on the high side, but not insanely so.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for taking ACE credit - they specifically state they take CLEP (no equivalencies listed), DSST (equivalencies listed), AP, and IB. It is hard to find info on other ACE credits, but here's something I found for the BAASOL degree:

Maximizing Your Transferable Credits and Using Your Experience

In addition to taking online courses, there are several opportunities for students to demonstrate prior learning and earn college credit. Students can receive credit for military service (ACE), work experience, professional training, licenses, certifications, and by exam through the College Level Exam Program (CLEP), for up to 48 semester credit hours toward their professional development electives, as well as possibly up to 42 semester credit hours of the general education/core curriculum.
• Students who have military training and/or coursework from professional training schools should consider contracting with Excelsior College’s OneTranscript service to have prior learning and courses transcripted into one consolidated transcript document. Please allow 4-6 weeks for Excelsior College to prepare a personal copy of your transcript after you submit the application and all your official documents.
• Students who have work experience, volunteer service, training, and/or opensource learning may want to consider creating their learning portfolios to earn college credit for what they already know and have learned. CAEL provides an informational video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWNNXgeG...e=youtu.be. More information on this opportunity can be found on CAEL’s website at:
http://www.learningcounts.org/.
• Students who have work experience/prior learning, professional training, and/or licenses may want to consider creating their prior-learning portfolios to earn college credit for what they already know and have learned. Charter Oak State College offers prior-learning portfolios assessments for college credit.
• Students may earn credit by exam in select subject areas. The College-Level Examination Program or CLEP provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. By receiving a satisfactory score, students can earn from 3 to 12 college credits toward a college degree for each CLEP exam taken, depending on the exam subject and the policy of the college or university. Students wanting to take advantage of the opportunity to earn credit by exam can do so through the Texas A&M University-Commerce testing center or through UExcel at a Pearson VUE location.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • kai1120, MrPanda, SophiaPrincess
(01-06-2022, 03:02 PM)raycathode Wrote: At the risk of reviving a dead thread, I was poking around the TAMU Commerce website and saw their BAAS in Organizational Leadership CBE program is now: "Texas residents pay $750 per term and out-of-state residents pay $1,500 per term."

Also, for 2022, their athletics have upgraded to a Division I school.

This program might become competitive with UMPI for some since the pricing is similar. Texas A&M Commerce may be the stronger brand with more potential for regional relevance and connections for those who may live or work in the Mid-South and Southwest regions. (Or those who want to. Lots of space to live in Texas.)

Personally, I'm applying to see what credits will transfer. If the gap to completion seems like a doable/affordable thing, I may pull the trigger. I'm driving distance from campus and could get more involved than I could most other schools frequently discussed on the forum.

If you're in Texas - You may want to review this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid342491
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If they do accept your non-CLEP ACE credits (or they don't accept them), let us know! More info for the wiki is always good.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-06-2022, 10:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

TAMU-Commerce is $750/7-week term for in-state, and $1500/7-week term for out-of-state.  This breaks down to $107/wk (IS) and $214/wk (OOS).

To give you some other prices per week (which is the only way to compare apples-to-apples):
NAU is $115/wk
WGU is $130-$148/wk
UMPI is $175/wk
UofWisc is$188/wk
PUG is $250/wk

So if you're in-state, it's the cheapest option available; if you're out of state, it's on the high side, but not insanely so.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's UMass Global's CBE porgrams come out to? $133.33 per week? Is that right?

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:pointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:pointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,176 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 12,853 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,442 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 322 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 392 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,298 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,223 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,954 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 504 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,617 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda