Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks for the help! BBA done in one session
Everyone has different courses for transfer credit, I highly suggest to shoot for one term finish at UMPI, but looking at all circumstances, settle for two semesters. I mean, you're just paying $2800 for a Bachelors degree! BTW, for those doing a BLS with a minor or two, even those doing a BABA with concentration, you should be able to get an AALS FREE! Did you guys check that out? It would be awesome for those who don't have one already... I mean, a free sheet of paper giving you that simple ego boost, especially for those who like doing things in "baby steps" and want recognition before they finish the Bachelors!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-12-2021, 11:09 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 10:46 AM)dfrecore Wrote: There are plenty of people who would not be disciplined enough, or have the time in their schedule, to do a competency-based degree.

(05-12-2021, 03:40 PM)ashkir Wrote: competency degrees are definately for the self-motivated people. If you need someone to hold your hand or force you to attend classes it isn't for you. BUt, if you have a family member, etc, that can hold yo unaccountable it might work. They target busy adults who need this and are motivated to finish ASAP

Your right that some may not have the discipline to go through with it.

I believe that people are a lot stronger than they think they are, and the human mind is very powerful.

If someone that was reading this post was thinking about starting college, I would tell them to stop thinking/planning and just go to Sophia.org RIGHT NOW and take the free 1st lessons for courses.

After you complete the first challenge, you now have hard data to use to estimate how long it would take you to complete the course. 

Take the time it took you to complete
Challenge #1 X the Total Challenges
+ add 1hr for each milestone exam = Total est time to complete the course.

You can go faster by watching videos at 2x speed or just reading the text.  The Pdfs are free to download so you are free to read them which most courses you can read through in under 3 hours.

It's hard to describe, but you can feel it in your bones that you are going to succeed in your college journey at some point after you complete several courses.

Whether you do UMPI in 1, 2, or 3 terms, at the slowest pace you would still be going 4 times faster than most people at a traditional brick and mortar college.  That all can be done while working a full-time job, with family obligations, or even while traveling.

I was taking classes at CSU Global when I found this forum. Sophia was in the middle of the free promotion last year. I needed a few LL courses to complete my degree at CSU and they accepted certain Sophia classes. Hey it was free so why not give it a try? I wasn't sure I had the discipline to complete the courses, but I found myself making a schedule to complete each course. I was pretty good at sticking to the schedule I had made so I took a shot on UMPI. No one here had completed a degree there. If they did, they weren't talking about it. I figured I had nothing to lose. If I hated it, I would go back to CSU after my 8 weeks was up. It was sooooo much easier to me being on my own schedule. I hated the weekly deadlines and required discussions. Who has papers due on Thanksgiving and the 4th of July? CSU Global does. It was soooo annoying and difficult. I never went back to CSU. I completed my degree at UMPI in 3 terms. If I only completed 1 minor, then I would have been done in 2 terms. It saved me a ton of time and money. 1 class at CSU is $1,050. So $1400 for unlimited classes sounded like a dream. There were no fees or books either. That saved me a FORTUNE. I'm starting a class in a week at LSU and my text book is $207. Yeah. It's RIDICULOUS. 

By taking Sophia courses, I built up my confidence that I could learn on my own. On my own schedule. 

CSU's terms are 8 weeks and you take 1 or 2 classes. You write a ton of papers. At UMPI, in the same 8 weeks, I completed 4 courses, 8 courses, and 4 courses. That was my 3 terms. I still paid the same $1400 no matter how many classes I finished. Turns out this learning style really worked for me. I graduated with a 4.0 and Summa cum Laude Latin honors. I had NO idea that I could do this! I'm now soooo glad I did it. I also graduated sooner from UMPI than I would have at CSU because I could only take 2 classes a term. I wrote waaaay fewer papers at UMPI too. Nothing was due on any holiday either.

So even if you don't attend UMPI, I say give Sophia a try. You have nothing to lose really. You may actually learn something about yourself. And you'll get college credit out of it. UMPI isn't the only CBE learning program out there. There are others. If this learning format works for you, then find a CBE program that works for you. It's amazing to FINALLY be a college graduate in my 40's. I've been to numerous schools - in person and online. Nothing ever stuck with me like this did. Now if I could find this unicorn in a grad program in construction management, I'd probably pass out from the shock. I don't expect to find a program like this for years, but hopefully more CBE programs are coming from many colleges and they start to see that we can learn on our own. We don't need some overpaid professor to read a textbook to us in a monotone voice for 45 minutes 3 times a week to learn something. Honestly, no one learns from that. Sadly, I've had more than 1 professor do this at a b&m college.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP, Pikachu
(05-13-2021, 03:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Everyone has different courses for transfer credit, I highly suggest to shoot for one term finish at UMPI, but looking at all circumstances, settle for two semesters.  I mean, you're just paying $2800 for a Bachelors degree!  BTW, for those doing a BLS with a minor or two, even those doing a BABA with concentration, you should be able to get an AALS FREE!  Did you guys check that out?  It would be awesome for those who don't have one already... I mean, a free sheet of paper giving you that simple ego boost, especially for those who like doing things in "baby steps" and want recognition before they finish the Bachelors!

What is an AALS?
(05-13-2021, 03:15 PM)ss20ts Wrote: We don't need some overpaid professor to read a textbook to us in a monotone voice for 45 minutes 3 times a week to learn something. Honestly, no one learns from that. Sadly, I've had more than 1 professor do this at a b&m college.

Yep, I hate that. My web design classes are like that. I suspect that the professor is either a volunteer or is an underpaid adjunct but it's still super frustrating at times. I feel bad for the other students with 0 tech background who are struggling with this stuff. It's not difficult but the way that it's being taught does make it difficult.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
AALS is an Associates of Arts in Liberal Studies: https://www.umpi.edu/academics/liberal-studies/ For everyone attending UMPI and don't have an Associates yet, this would be the best bet to get that Associates and ladder it into a Bachelors. Here's the list of all degrees they offer, the BAS and BLS should allow someone to get the AALS in addition to the Bachelors! https://www.umpi.edu/academics/majors/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-13-2021, 05:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: AALS is an Associates of Arts in Liberal Studies: https://www.umpi.edu/academics/liberal-studies/  For everyone attending UMPI and don't have an Associates yet, this would be the best bet to get that Associates and ladder it into a Bachelors.  Here's the list of all degrees they offer, the BAS and BLS should allow someone to get the AALS in addition to the Bachelors!  https://www.umpi.edu/academics/majors/

It's an interesting idea. YourPace doesn't have any associate degrees currently. Some of the requirements for the AA would be difficult to complete as ACE  (the science especially) and transfer in. They're not offered in YourPace. You'd probably still have to complete 30 credits at UMPI for the AA and then 30 credits at UMPI for the BLS. The BLS also has the UL requirement. It's probably not worth all of that.
(05-13-2021, 05:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: AALS is an Associates of Arts in Liberal Studies: https://www.umpi.edu/academics/liberal-studies/  For everyone attending UMPI and don't have an Associates yet, this would be the best bet to get that Associates and ladder it into a Bachelors.  Here's the list of all degrees they offer, the BAS and BLS should allow someone to get the AALS in addition to the Bachelors!  https://www.umpi.edu/academics/majors/

I'm guessing that if you planned it right, you might be able to get that AA with 15cr at UMPI.  However, I'm not sure I'd spend much time thinking about this, as you'll be so dang close to the bachelor's degree - why waste a minute worrying about this AA? Doesn't make much sense to me.  Get that bachelor's and move on to more important things.

I STILL do not get this lust for an AA from people.  I'm guessing that it provides practically zero value for the vast majority of people.  Especially when you're close to a bachelor's degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
That throws me off, because the links are for the non-YourPace programs. I think the BAS was normal because it was listed as a University Wide major. For UMPI I personally wouldn't trust any information unless it comes from Jessica herself, or from the online.umpi.edu website.
(05-14-2021, 12:49 PM)ashkir Wrote: That throws me off, because the links are for the non-YourPace programs. I think the BAS was normal because it was listed as a University Wide major. For UMPI I personally wouldn't trust any information unless it comes from Jessica herself, or from the online.umpi.edu website.

I agree. The on campus programs are different than the YourPace programs. Everything is definitely not available to YourPace students. The BAS is one thing. They don't have a different degree plan really and all of the courses are offered. I wouldn't waste my time on an associate degree just for kicks.
(05-11-2021, 11:18 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 12:22 AM)student4life80 Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 05:48 PM)cmilstead9 Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 03:46 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: Congrats. Which BBA  did u do? Did u take all 15 classes at UMPI?

Yes, I did all 15 at UMPI, I just did general management and leadership. I was going to minor but honestly wouldn't be beneficial for my career. I could have finished weeks ago with my BLS but I thought I have time why not go for the additional courses and get the BBA.

I just started the summer session 1 at UMPI and I feel overwhelmed. I've been an on again off again student for the past 20 years. I have AA Degree and pursuing a BLS-Minor in Bus Management at UMPI (yourpace).  How in the world did you complete 15 classes in 8 weeks? what is your secret? what was your study method?

Please don't judge yourself by how many classes someone else completed in a term. I've graduated from UMPI and have no idea how anyone could have done 15 classes in 1 term. The most I did was 8 and even that was quite a bit I felt. It meant I worked nonstop through the long Thanksgiving weekend. Some classes have longer papers/projects than others.
ss20ts 
Congrats and much continued success...

>Can you share the 15 courses  to complete your BBA did at UMPI.
Am also considering UMPI BSBA- General management and leadership.  

University of Maine at Presque Isle

- - - - Degrees Awarded - - - - -

Graduate: Masters Organizational Leadership (MAOL)
Degree Honors| Summa Cum Laude| Deans List
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Plan| Business Administration Major
Plan| Project Management
Degree Honors: Cum Laude
[Image: AlumniLogo600-300x300.jpg]

[-] The following 1 user Likes tpowell's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,641 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI! FM1 10 911 01-28-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Will all the courses be offered every session? sdw1243 2 437 08-29-2023, 11:58 AM
  Can't start this session, super bummed.. lllunchbox 13 1,039 08-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Upcoming Session wj123 3 482 08-17-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: wj123
  Fall 2021 Session 2 -- What is YOURPace? ashkir 140 14,657 08-03-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: thestudyguy
  Dean's List for Summer Session? klone 2 434 07-18-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Course Offerings Per Session Infinite-Telephone52 4 691 06-11-2023, 02:29 PM
  New Session today...When should we expect courses to become available? LakeMomNY 13 1,039 05-08-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Samus477
  Degree Audit and Upcoming Session Info Avidbus 5 768 03-15-2023, 11:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts