Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fall of the Ivory Tower
In the pandemic era, many students have shifted away from the philosophy "What's the best school I can get into?" and toward a philosophy of "What is the safest, easiest way to get my degree?"  Many schools are struggling and some will not survive.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/...story.html
[-] The following 3 users Like Alpha's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts
online degree is the best.
(01-20-2021, 09:51 AM)Alpha Wrote: In the pandemic era, many students have shifted away from the philosophy "What's the best school I can get into?" and toward a philosophy of "What is the safest, easiest way to get my degree?"  Many schools are struggling and some will not survive.

It was about time, maybe the schools will focus on more substance and better prices. 

Colleges in the US are TOO expensive and it is unreasonable, especially for the quality of content they offer. Maybe this pandemic will establish a balance between quality and cost and will be more in favor of the students than the colleges.
[-] The following 3 users Like Seagull's post:
  • DeanLewis, Leedeedee, Pikachu
(01-20-2021, 10:19 AM)Seagull Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:51 AM)Alpha Wrote: In the pandemic era, many students have shifted away from the philosophy "What's the best school I can get into?" and toward a philosophy of "What is the safest, easiest way to get my degree?"  Many schools are struggling and some will not survive.

It was about time, maybe the schools will focus on more substance and better prices. 

Colleges in the US are TOO expensive and it is unreasonable, especially for the quality of content they offer. Maybe this pandemic will establish a balance between quality and cost and will be more in favor of the students than the colleges.

Agreed.

i.e. Drexel University's out-of-state tuition fee is $70,000 USD per year.
That's price of UPenn's tuition!
How is that normal??? The private university administrators are too greedy. They're financially abusing students.
Students should do protest against university admins in US..... Angry

I believe it was slowly - very slowly - already starting to happen. Many colleges have been struggling financially for several years. This just pushed them over the edge and they finally had to get real. The college down the road from me was bragging that they froze tuition this year. As if they had a choice! Several of the colleges in my area did them same thing. Their enrollment has decreased significantly. Turns out the bulk of their income comes from dorms and meal plans. Not really a big surprise since you can get an apartment off campus for thousands less typically. 

I believe we will see far more online programs. High school students today may only want an online degree in 2-3 years. Remote learning/online learning is what many have done for the last 2 school years. Setting foot on a college campus would be something many no longer want. Affordability is a massive problem. We may see more programs like WGU which I think would be wonderful. I wish programs like this existed decades ago when I first went off to college. I do believe the entire higher education system is in for a massive overhaul. It needs to become affordable and attainable for everyone. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-20-2021, 10:24 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Students should do protest against university admins in US..... Angry

They can - they opt not to go to that school, and eventually the school may go under.  Or only draw a certain crowd and get a bad reputation.  Or whatever.  But you don't need to mount an official protest, you just don't go and you've made your point.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
One of my pet peeves is the cost of text books, especially for Gen. Ed. courses. When I started at a B&M decades ago, your only option was to buy from the school bookstore, or luck out and buy from someone who'd taken the course. Next came the Internet. Yay! With just the ISBN, you could buy a textbook from anywhere!

Now, colleges have businesses create digital books for them, and they cannot be used for other schools. And don't buy a used one 'cause it may not have the "vital" lab access. Or a new edition comes out every few years. All of this is NOT for cutting edge classes, I'm talking about courses like Microeconomics. It seems like many of the PowerPoint presentation, quizzes, etc. are devised by these companies. What ARE the professor's doing/creating to add value to the course?

Why aren't more colleges using sites like OpenStax?
[-] The following 4 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • jch, Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts
(01-20-2021, 08:20 PM)LongRoad Wrote: One of my pet peeves is the cost of text books, especially for Gen. Ed. courses. When I started at a B&M decades ago, your only option was to buy from the school bookstore, or luck out and buy from someone who'd taken the course. Next came the Internet. Yay! With just the ISBN, you could buy a textbook from anywhere!

Now, colleges have businesses create digital books for them, and they cannot be used for other schools. And don't buy a used one 'cause it may not have the "vital" lab access. Or a new edition comes out every few years. All of this is NOT for cutting edge classes, I'm talking about courses like Microeconomics. It seems like many of the PowerPoint presentation, quizzes, etc. are devised by these companies. What ARE the professor's doing/creating to add value to the course?

Why aren't more colleges using sites like OpenStax?

This textbook stuff is one of the reasons why I love ASU EA. There's no textbook or access code hurdles to deal with at all. Everything is included in the course registration and fee. They use open educational resources (OERs), including openstax, whenever they need a text. Their way of doing things definitely seems like the future. I love what they're doing with high school partnerships, and I wish I could have participated in something like that. Thanks to Covid, ASU EA has experienced huge growth. I think ASU is really on to something.

Meanwhile, my "free" term at Strayer still required me to pay several hundred dollars per class for ebook and online lab access codes. Nearly all of the assignments are activities within those tools. The professor just posts some pre-recorded videos and pre-typed announcements, and then grades discussion posts. In my opinion, the ASU EA courses are much better than Strayer online, despite the sticker cost of Strayer being several times higher. There is no way that I could justify the normal cost of Strayer. The value delivered by their product is minimal.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • rachel83az
I have to say that I agree with the assessment of Strayer. I do really like the iCampus/Blackboard integration, though. And these aren't exactly UL classes. But of the things that I didn't already know, I'm not sure how much I'm learning with Strayer. CIS-111 especially feels like it is 2 completely different courses that have been smushed together. The first is where the instructor is actually trying to teach people about the history of databases and why they are what they are and the other is a basic MS Access course. They don't feel like they have anything to do with one another.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
(01-20-2021, 06:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 10:24 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Students should do protest against university admins in US..... Angry

They can - they opt not to go to that school, and eventually the school may go under.  Or only draw a certain crowd and get a bad reputation.  Or whatever.  But you don't need to mount an official protest, you just don't go and you've made your point.

This is the reality. As long as people are willing to take out astronomically large loans and pay ridiculously inflated tuition, nothing will change. When a critical mass finally says, ‘enough’ and refuses to play the game then colleges will adapt. Hopefully the programs elucidated here will help people see alternative paths.

Curiously the author ignores the special status of student loans in bankruptcy in his theory of high costs.  He also intimates that college students are making choices based on perceived safety as opposed to economics. I’m not sure I can agree with that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • bluebooger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California - Fall Is Free! bjcheung77 3 575 08-18-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Enrollment Trends - Fall 2022 bjcheung77 2 628 11-06-2022, 05:23 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Amberton Fall 2022 ss20ts 2 525 07-23-2022, 09:33 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Amberton University - New Degrees Fall 2022 ss20ts 3 1,077 07-15-2022, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free Summer or Free Fall ideas? creationstory 13 1,803 06-02-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ylmir
  Northwestern University is offering online bachelor's degrees starting Fall 2022 nyvrem 1 1,146 12-25-2021, 06:40 AM
Last Post: Pikachu
  Aussie & Kiwi "Fall" = Britain, Canada, US "Rise" bjcheung77 0 751 10-18-2021, 03:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COVID Specials! Colleges with Free Fall Tuition sanantone 20 2,868 09-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Dine College: $55 credit hour: Fall Reg. Begins June 22 eriehiker 17 3,046 06-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  New CLEP coming Fall 2019 - Spanish w/Writing dfrecore 0 1,131 05-26-2019, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore