Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Harvard Biologist Chefs Have on Call
For now! But our Jennifer could play an angle like this and become the next great celebrity scientist. Smile
For Gastronomists, a Go-To Microbiologist (profile of Rachel Dutton by Peter Andrey Smith, The New York Times, September 17, 2012)
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:For now! But our Jennifer could play an angle like this and become the next great celebrity scientist. Smile
For Gastronomists, a Go-To Microbiologist (profile of Rachel Dutton by Peter Andrey Smith, The New York Times, September 17, 2012)

Super interesting article! FWIW, these guys are so far over my head I can see up their trousers. McGee, is "the" food science guru for chefs. His books really are as sciency as any chef will go. In fact, the culinary science class we "used to" teach at the CC in the early 90's was NOTHING like what they do today. My food science class was, well, kinda like kindergarten against experts like McGee. So, if McGee is going to her for help, well, I can't even wrap my brain around that lol. I bought my husband the newest edition of On Food and Cooking last year for Christmas. This year, if he'd have been good (lol, j/k) I would have bought him Mondernist Cuisine..currently "the" food science for chefs bible. Of course, it's somewhere around $500-$600 if you can find someone selling theirs.
Hey, a new free HarvardX course – an EdX MOOC drawing on Harvard faculty – Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science. "Top chefs and Harvard researchers explore how everyday cooking and haute cuisine can illuminate basic principles in physics and engineering, and vice versa."

There's an NPR story where one of the professors explains that "food and cooking have made science cool, educators are taking note, and science classes all over the country are getting tastier." Aside from this the article has some problems and I won't link to it. ("You can go to Harvard" – yes, like any visitor, but following along with this free online course won't confer any standing with Harvard University.)
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:Hey, a new free HarvardX course – an EdX MOOC drawing on Harvard faculty – Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science. "Top chefs and Harvard researchers explore how everyday cooking and haute cuisine can illuminate basic principles in physics and engineering, and vice versa."

There's an NPR story where one of the professors explains that "food and cooking have made science cool, educators are taking note, and science classes all over the country are getting tastier." Aside from this the article has some problems and I won't link to it. ("You can go to Harvard" – yes, like any visitor, but following along with this free online course won't confer any standing with Harvard University.)

Oh my gosh! Love it, and just in time to register! The class starts Oct 8th, I'm in!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Karen” threatens to call cops on a braai in South Africa Personherebb9 3 1,110 12-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  University Biologist Resigns Alpha 5 836 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 599 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Harvard Medical School going online for fall DIGI-212 8 2,523 08-26-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Nilv
  17-year-old to graduate from Harvard days after graduating high school quigongene 0 1,138 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Harvard Lawsuit sanantone 12 2,476 01-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Call Center Opinions? videogamesrock 10 1,735 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Curse the Harvard Extension School.....(good actually) rebel100 20 4,066 08-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  15 Year old Harvard Extension Graduate Prloko 7 1,964 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Harvard Extension Bachelors Webinar rebel100 0 959 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Last Post: rebel100