Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
(09-08-2019, 06:40 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: Provider: Coopersmith
Course: Foundations of Stress Management (UL at TESU, Comes in as SOS-320)
Course content: There are 2 variations of materials - a 770+ page document and a "crash course" powerpoint deck. As with other Coopersmith courses I've taken, you do not need to purchase any addtl materials.
Final exam format: 50 questions, all multiple choice
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Everything single question was answered in the powerpoint deck. 
Time taken on course: Couple days casually looking over powerpoint but spent about 3 hours today hard core on it 
Familiarity with subject before course: Medium familiarity with materials.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: I finished all 50 questions in 4 minutes because I studied the slides. 
1-10 Difficulty level: Based on what I noted above about having all info in slides, I'd say a 1 because it's being handed to you.

Is there a narrated version of the PowerPoint slide? I know they have this for some courses, but curious if that's the case for all of them.
Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-08-2019, 06:43 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 06:40 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: Provider: Coopersmith
Course: Foundations of Stress Management (UL at TESU, Comes in as SOS-320)
Course content: There are 2 variations of materials - a 770+ page document and a "crash course" powerpoint deck. As with other Coopersmith courses I've taken, you do not need to purchase any addtl materials.
Final exam format: 50 questions, all multiple choice
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Everything single question was answered in the powerpoint deck. 
Time taken on course: Couple days casually looking over powerpoint but spent about 3 hours today hard core on it 
Familiarity with subject before course: Medium familiarity with materials.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: I finished all 50 questions in 4 minutes because I studied the slides. 
1-10 Difficulty level: Based on what I noted above about having all info in slides, I'd say a 1 because it's being handed to you.

Is there a narrated version of the PowerPoint slide? I know they have this for some courses, but curious if that's the case for all of them.
I did not see that option on the PPT.
If you like Coopersmith, you would most likely like Davar as they use to be the same company and split into two or more. Further to that, they use the same type of teaching medium - Powerpoint presentations and an exam for the course... The price is different, it's $70/course + exam proctor fee, for the Business courses, you can get 2 for $99 + exam proctor fee.
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • alab21
(09-08-2019, 07:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you like Coopersmith, you would most likely like Davar as they use to be the same company and split into two or more.  Further to that, they use the same type of teaching medium - Powerpoint presentations and an exam for the course...  The price is different, it's $70/course + exam proctor fee, for the Business courses, you can get 2 for $99 + exam proctor fee.

WHAT?!?!  That's a steal! I've never even looked into Davar. Thank you BJ!
Provider: Saylor.org
Course: ECON102: Principles of Macroeconomics
Course content: 7 units, 158 total elements, texts, book chapters, videos and other resourses; plus some quizes that have no influence in grade but help to practice
Final exam format: Proctored final exam is 50 multiple choice questions, also include "similar" practice final exam.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Similarity = 60%-70%. Not as friendly as the microeconomics saylor course that i rate before...
Time taken on course: 16 days, studing between 3-6 hours per day.
Familiarity with subject before course: I just do the Saylor ECON101-Microeconomics course before.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: Not as friendly as the Microeconomics course, large, unfriendly, and boring... Some content are out of context slides pretty difficult to understand.
1-10 Difficulty level: 7-8 (unnecessarily high difficulty due to the way the course content was created).

Aditional Information: I think Saylor is not a good option for Macroeconomics course, i just do the Priniciples of Microeconomics course with them before i like it so much, so i give them the chance with the macroeconomics but i think it was a mistake, i have no other reference but maybe it is better to pay for Study.com or SL and get the course in a friendly way. Part of the added difficulty is the boring way the content is carried and sometime you have the feeling that the chapters are messy because they first handle the concepts and then (in future chapters) explain them.

Enough Saylor for me...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dog Troubles - Study.com jamshid666 2 161 09-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Last Post: amaquiling
  computer science 115 intro to java study.com Zachcleigh 2 133 09-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  onlinedegree.com Courses natshar 41 3,470 09-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Study.com Computer Science 310 and 307 TESU Zachcleigh 7 356 09-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Study.com New CS Courses etirflita 172 11,081 09-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  InstantCert Now Offers ACE Reviewed Courses sgloer 29 2,069 09-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jsd
  UL Math courses Giantzebra 14 811 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Salamander
  Other New Shmoop courses: Macroeconomics,Microeconomics,Cost Accounting nosey561 4 243 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  study.com tips for passing quickly? Tekky 20 2,061 09-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Saylor Vs Study.com Vs SL, etc cecilgambe7 25 1,002 08-30-2019, 07:14 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL