Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State College
Can someone clarify this thread for me? My son is not enrolled with any school, but he is taking his first CLEP May 6. My understanding is that CLEP will bank credits for twenty years. Is there a scenario where he would have trouble transferring these credits? Would we be better off to use a credit bank like Excelsiors $255.00?
beckysharp Wrote:Can someone clarify this thread for me? My son is not enrolled with any school, but he is taking his first CLEP May 6. My understanding is that CLEP will bank credits for twenty years. Is there a scenario where he would have trouble transferring these credits? Would we be better off to use a credit bank like Excelsiors $255.00?

No, he shouldn't need that. He should have no trouble whatsoever having his credits sent to ANY college in the future. The only question was whether or not he would have to pay the $20 transcript request fee. I had to pay that $20 to have my transcript sent to Thomas Edison State College. To me, that's a nominal fee, but of course, I'd rather not pay it if I don't have to. But I did and I got my credits sent there.

Again, no, he should not have any trouble and no, he probably does not need credit banking.
sirjake Wrote:No, he shouldn't need that. He should have no trouble whatsoever having his credits sent to ANY college in the future. The only question was whether or not he would have to pay the $20 transcript request fee. I had to pay that $20 to have my transcript sent to Thomas Edison State College. To me, that's a nominal fee, but of course, I'd rather not pay it if I don't have to. But I did and I got my credits sent there.

Again, no, he should not have any trouble and no, he probably does not need credit banking.

[SIZE="3"]The credit bank is not required. Tell your son - GOOD LUCK!![/SIZE]
beckysharp Wrote:Can someone clarify this thread for me? My son is not enrolled with any school, but he is taking his first CLEP May 6. My understanding is that CLEP will bank credits for twenty years. Is there a scenario where he would have trouble transferring these credits? Would we be better off to use a credit bank like Excelsiors $255.00?
I enrolled in Excelsior in January of this year, and I took my first CLEP in June-05 and went on to take a total of 6 exams prior to enrolling. For each exam I had my results sent to Excelsior at the time I took the exam. When I enrolled, they posted to my transcript all my previous exams I had sent to them within 2 weeks.

I don't know if this is the case for other schools, so perhaps check with each school. Scores can be sent free of charge at the time of the exam to one school, so maybe sending them to a school you're sure will hold them until enrollment free of charge wouldn't hurt. Another thing, Excelsior has a limit of accepting exams taken within 6 months of enrollment.
Please , can someone explain what they mean when they say that Excelsior has a limit of accepting exams taken within six months of enrollment?
I don't understand what is meant by that.
I want to start testing , but have not decided between Excelsior or Thomas Edison. I will probably go with Excelsior.This may sound simple,but When I take an exam, and I am unenrolled, should I have the results sent to Excelsior(Is the number @ the test site?).
What happens if someone fails a test? Does the score go to EC and if the test is retaken with a passing grade it is just added to all the scores, or deleated?
Also, must you be enrolled with Excelsior in order to take a practice test?
The application looks to be a $1025.00--For ASN to BSN. Is each subsequent year another grand or a lesser amount? I didn't see costs defined in the catalogue.
Thanks everyone for your help!
AML
AML,

You asked a lot of questions, so I'll break them down one by one to answer them. Keep in mind, however, that I am not an expert or an academic advisor from either school, so it is always best to speak to the advisors at the school you choose. Wink
Quote:Please , can someone explain what they mean when they say that Excelsior has a limit of accepting exams taken within six months of enrollment? I don't understand what is meant by that.
To answer your first question: no, Excelsior does NOT have a limit of accepting exams taken within six months of enrollment. However, the exam transcripts must be no older than six months from the enrollment date.

Quote:I want to start testing , but have not decided between Excelsior or Thomas Edison. I will probably go with Excelsior.This may sound simple,but When I take an exam, and I am unenrolled, should I have the results sent to Excelsior(Is the number @ the test site?).
If you want to, you can have the exam results sent to Excelsior before you are enrolled (the institution code you would enter for a CLEP exam is 2899, and the code for DSST exams is 9370). OR you can choose not to have them sent and wait until you are ready to enroll, at which time you can order a transcript from each testing institution showing ALL of the exam scores you have accumulated by that date. Personally, I would go with the second option (just my two cents'. :p )

Quote:What happens if someone fails a test? Does the score go to EC and if the test is retaken with a passing grade it is just added to all the scores, or deleated?
IF you have entered Excelsior's institution code WHEN you take the exam, then the score will be reported to EC. If you failed the exam and re-take it six months later and pass it, then the latest score will replace the earlier score. If you didn't enter the code, then the score will not be reported to EC.
Quote:Also, must you be enrolled with Excelsior in order to take a practice test?
You have to be already signed up for the exam in order to take the practice exams, but you do not have to be enrolled with Excelsior to take the exams.
Quote:The application looks to be a $1025.00--For ASN to BSN. Is each subsequent year another grand or a lesser amount? I didn't see costs defined in the catalogue.
I was very surprised to see that Excelsior has changed the enrollment fees as of July 1st (see below). It looks like it now costs $895 to enroll for a Bachelors degree, along with $440 for the "annual student service fee". So if you have not completed your degree within one year of your enrollment date, it looks like you would have to pay an additional $440. The graduation fee has stayed at the same price of $495.

Fees and Tuition
July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008

Undergraduate Tuition And Fees

Tuition (per credit hour):

Civilian $290
Military $250

Application Fee: $75

Enrollment Fees:
Associate and Baccalaureate Degree (Civilian) $895
Associate and Baccalaureate Degree (Military) $765
Associate in Applied Science (AAS) $495
Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) $495

Student Service Annual Fee:
All Undergraduate Degree Programs $440
Graduation Fee:

Associate and Baccalaureate Degree $495
Associate in Applied Science (AAS) $245
Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) $245

Examination Fees:

3 Academic Credit Examinations $205
4 Academic Credit Examinations $235
6 Academic Credit Examinations $295

I hope all of this helps!

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
I'm an EC student who changed directions. I was intending on going through TESC. I just talked to Linda Battle in TESC's Registrar's Office about my FEMA Credits. I was absolutely shocked...I could not believe how disinterested she sounded in my questions or anything. She was very soft-spoken, very monotone as if I was simply wasting her time. It was a bit unnerving for me. Anyway..I just had to rant a bit. Thanks!
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
94W Wrote:I noticed several people in the posts say that they were students at TESC. I have been with them for almost a year and they are O.K. I am currently working towards my Bachelors in History. I have seven more Cleps & DSSTs to get my degree.
When I decided to stop taking classes and test out I experienced some frustration with the advising department. I had to call and say OK, how will this one fit in. Then I found what I was looking for.

http://www.tesc.edu/catalog/pdf/catalog.pdf

It lists on page 120 and 121 each test and how they award credit. Why the advisor didn't advise me to look there I will never know. I hope this is useful!Cool
>>

I found that, also by accident, when I started planning my degree!
I printed it out and used it to plan my exams. The copy I printed back around Christmas was from the 07 catalog. I just checked the new 08 catalog. There are 2 changes, so be sure if you have an old TESC catalog that you use the new 08 one. The 2 changes pertain to the CLEP accounting exam and the CLEP computer exam. The computer exam is now listing as a "COS" not "CIS" alpha. This may impact your degree (it did mine). COS will fall under the Mathematics and Natural Sciences, while CIS falls under Business. My adviser told me today that they only made the change 3 months ago. So, now the DSST and CLEP will both be COS.
Matymus Wrote:I'm an EC student who changed directions. I was intending on going through TESC. I just talked to Linda Battle in TESC's Registrar's Office about my FEMA Credits. I was absolutely shocked...I could not believe how disinterested she sounded in my questions or anything. She was very soft-spoken, very monotone as if I was simply wasting her time. It was a bit unnerving for me. Anyway..I just had to rant a bit. Thanks!

You know, I had a similar experience when talking to TESC. They really seemed like I was bothering them by calling and asking questions about MS Certs and their credit bank. They may have pushed me to EC with their attitude.

Brian
bsjohnson Wrote:You know, I had a similar experience when talking to TESC. They really seemed like I was bothering them by calling and asking questions about MS Certs and their credit bank. They may have pushed me to EC with their attitude.

Brian
>>

I find customer service can depend on who answers your call! I have been frustrated a number of times. When someone doesn't know the answer to my question, I really like it when they know who CAN answer my question. This hasn't always been the case. I have been lost in transfer, told conflicting information, given the run around, and I won't even go into how inept the financial aid worker - who will remain nameless- is.

BUT....

There is no way under the sun that a few clerks are going to get in the way of my goals and education. I encourage you not to let it impeded your process either. If we can't deal with a few clerks and admissions reps, what does that say about our ability to handle stress and rigor in the workplace?
Twice I caught myself loosing it, and twice my husband reminded me that dealing with people was as important a skill as the facts in my history book.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,712 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,835 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU My Edison log-in trouble JanuarySunshine 4 2,492 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: JanuarySunshine
  THOMAS EDISON ANALYZING AND INTERPRETING LIT Giantzebra 4 1,832 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: nashpond
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,907 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
  Help requested with Thomas Edison degree plan. BSOL kodiak61 8 2,212 06-21-2018, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,381 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  A question about shmoop and Excelsior College literalkev 8 3,055 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Last Post: literalkev
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,645 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM