Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts and Opinions on PhD in Bible Exposition from Liberty University
Why revive a thread that died 6+ months ago? Move on!
(06-21-2021, 05:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why revive a thread that died 6+ months ago? Move on!

I wasn't online 6+ months ago, and six months is not a long time. It wasn't like a thread that's years old was revived. But, if it bothers you that much, you can volunteer for a moderator position or propose a new rule for the forum. Unless it's a forum rule, I'm just going to disregard your complaint.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-21-2021, 05:57 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 05:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why revive a thread that died 6+ months ago? Move on!

I wasn't online 6+ months ago, and six months is not a long time. It wasn't like a thread that's years old was revived. But, if it bothers you that much, you can volunteer for a moderator position or propose a new rule for the forum. Unless it's a forum rule, I'm just going to disregard your complaint.

I asked because you specifically quoted someone you're currently having an argument with on here. You don't need to be snarky with everyone on here.
(06-21-2021, 06:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 05:57 PM)sanantone Wrote:

I asked because you specifically quoted someone you're currently having an argument with on here. You don't need to be snarky with everyone on here.

Misleading information in a thread should be corrected in the thread. Someone could search for information on Fuller or Moody and find misinformation on these schools in a fairly recent thread.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-22-2020, 03:41 AM)openair Wrote: I have the opposite advice from bjcheung: Avoid it unless you can realistically see future work options, even part-time options.

Residential seminaries overseas actually post job offers from time to time.  In the United States, you may have a hard time with finding any real offer in the field. The competition for those rare openings is fierce, and many PhD applicants come from top universities. I wouldn't count on online seminary options. It's extremely difficult to join residential Bible college and seminary faculties in the United States. The options for online seminary gigs are infinitesimally small. Keep in mind that many seminaries (Fuller Theological Seminary, Moody Bible Institute, etc.) are known as affirmative action employers.   Your employment also depends on your ethnicity, so that factor must realistically be taken into consideration. Are you non-white? If not, you have an even smaller chance of getting that long-term faculty position after your PhD. Unless you receive a full scholarship or find a much cheaper program, I don't believe that it makes sense to go into possible debt over a fictional online seminary teaching gig. These online seminaries are often struggling financially, so this may not even provide a part-time salary. Personally, I would wait for a cheaper online doctorate option, or try finding a teaching position with a Master's degree. If you can't get a part-time position with a Master's, I wouldn't bank on a future career with an added doctorate.

Go for a PhD if you can get a full scholarship, or want to explore global teaching positions after financing the program on your own. Otherwise, I would avoid it.

Here's how the situation really looks ("Liberty University cuts divinity faculty"):

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019...ty-faculty

I absolutely agree with you. 100%. I grew up and was raised by my mom from an affluent religious family, who has worked in divinity schools across the Untied States and Canada. The circles, at least, for my religion--- Were very close knit. People stayed in their small circles. Outsiders never got preference and it is hard to break in, without being born into it.

I don't know how other sects of religions can be. But for mine, it was cutthroat, and it's actually partially why I left my religion because I couldn't stand how they treat people not born into it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • openair
Reviving a year old thread to spam a link, well done!
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

(07-13-2022, 06:01 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Reviving a year old thread to spam a link, well done!

You're right.  It's a classic move for a spammer.
both of you just quoted his spam link, thus making his SEO effort a success even after his own post is gone Big Grin 

you two/a mod should probably edit that part out of the replies.

(Edit: Thanks for jumping on it, LevelUP)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • LevelUP, ss20ts
Earning degrees, even graduate degrees, by distance learning has become routine. But it wasn't always so. Liberty University was a true pioneer in distance learning, long before we had the internet and the World Wide Web as a delivery channel. For example Liberty had one of the first MBA programs by distance learning in the US.

The usual caveats about earning a doctorate by distance learning apply, of course (as they relate to starting a career in academia). But with Liberty's long history of delivering distance learning programs successfully, and putting Fallwell Jr's antics behind them, if you think this kind of degree meets your needs, Liberty seems to be a reasonable place to do it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 235 Today, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,058 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,454 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,311 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,297 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy