Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time limit on cert credit for WGU?
I was wondering if I made a list of all the certs required for a degree at WGU, and then plugged away at them as I had time and money, how long could I go before I actually had to apply to WGU and still get credit for the certs? I know there is a limit to how many you can transfer in. If I took the A+, Network+, Security+, and maybe some classes at sophia/study.com/SL, I could get a lot of credits before joining WGU.  Are the certs good for 2-3 years? 5 or 10 years? I am mostly talking about the technical certs.
It depends on the cert. For most CompTIA certs (the ones you listed), it'll be 3 years. Even if you keep them active and renew them beyond that, WGU will not accept them for credit if they're older than 5 years, even if active.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Wait, why would you want to take the certs and transfer them in? WGU should provide you vouchers for taking their similar courses for exams, that's the only reason I recommend WGU is for their IT degrees (or now their Business degrees as they have ACBSP). You should only focus on the Sophia.org courses to get your General Education credits completed, and anything that's transferrable from StraighterLine/Study.com after your Sophia.org courses. SKIP THE TECHNICAL CERTS - WGU PAYS FOR YOU, if you get the certs first, yes you get the credit but it's like double paying for nothing!

Oh, and here are my answers to your questions on this thread, I was answering it and had another tab open for this for some reason, here goes: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ree?page=2

reylok - Anyone have any responses for three of my original questions?

1) Is APU respected? (it seems to be loved by its students)
When I applied to them (and a whole lot of other schools), they were on my list because they seem to be a good school, they had DEAC accreditation and decided to go for Regional Accreditation plus programmatic accreditation for their programs. If you compare them with other unranked schools, they are equally respected or recognized.

2) Are there any cons about APU I should know?
I applied to about 6 or 7 schools before ultimately deciding on TESU a few years ago. The only reason I didn't take them is because of the number of credits you can maximize with transfer credit (ACE). If you are military, they are all the same pricing for the Big 3, essentially $250/credit or APU/Brandman/WGU that uses the competency-based degree option at a set flat term fee.

3) Anyone here go to APU, or get this degree?
Not yet, but their Biology classes are the final courses I need for my BA Biology. I have planned a few as I just need the Upper-Level requirements to be done.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I can see studying for certs on your own time to not eat up your enrollment time at WGU - but why would you get the certs? WGU will let you get them for free! At least, the ones they list for each degree. If you are looking at other ones, then I guess you could do that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-08-2020, 11:47 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wait, why would you want to take the certs and transfer them in?  WGU should provide you vouchers for taking their similar courses for exams, that's the only reason I recommend WGU is for their IT degrees (or now their Business degrees as they have ACBSP).  You should only focus on the Sophia.org courses to get your General Education credits completed, and anything that's transferrable from StraighterLine/Study.com after your Sophia.org courses.  SKIP THE TECHNICAL CERTS - WGU PAYS FOR YOU, if you get the certs first, yes you get the credit but it's like double paying for nothing!

Oh, and here are my answers to your questions on this thread, I was answering it and had another tab open for this for some reason, here goes:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ree?page=2

reylok - Anyone have any responses for three of my original questions?

1) Is APU respected? (it seems to be loved by its students)
When I applied to them (and a whole lot of other schools), they were on my list because they seem to be a good school, they had DEAC accreditation and decided to go for Regional Accreditation plus programmatic accreditation for their programs.  If you compare them with other unranked schools, they are equally respected or recognized.

2) Are there any cons about APU I should know?
I applied to about 6 or 7 schools before ultimately deciding on TESU a few years ago.  The only reason I didn't take them is because of the number of credits you can maximize with transfer credit (ACE).  If you are military, they are all the same pricing for the Big 3, essentially $250/credit or APU/Brandman/WGU that uses the competency-based degree option at a set flat term fee.

3) Anyone here go to APU, or get this degree?
Not yet, but their Biology classes are the final courses I need for my BA Biology.  I have planned a few as I just need the Upper-Level requirements to be done.

I was thinking of taking the certs before enrolling, in case some life-problem interfered with my ability to study once enrolled. If I took them myself, I could work at my own pace, for better or worse.  Once I joined WGU, I wouldn't need to pay for the certs again, I would skip them and just take the remaining classes. It seems less risky to take one class at a time, rather than signup for 6 months at a time. I just got furloughed, and my salary is now my unemployment.  If I become homeless or have to move, that will be another life-problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 118 10 hours ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,075 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Will start in over a month, what can I do in the mean time? thepoetvd776 5 781 01-15-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Does any WGU program give credit for passing any FINRA exams? MaMichelle 1 668 10-25-2022, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  $500 tuition credit for new students only rachel83az 8 1,917 06-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: carebear_007
  Maximize WGU 90 credit transfer policy mdel210201 4 4,911 11-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Taking courses at WGU not part of my degree program? And credit by examination sciencemathematics1 19 7,336 08-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  WGU Changes to Residency Credit Requirements bjcheung77 5 2,585 06-23-2020, 01:56 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  average time to finish WGU - opinions wanted EducationSeeker 21 7,226 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  How long is your credit eval good for Tlm 4 1,552 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Tlm