Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for accelerating Study.com courses?
Are there any tips or tricks to accelerating SDC courses? I don't know the structure of its courses (quizzes, exams, assignments, etc.) but would love to know about how much time they could be feasibly completed in.
It greatly depends on the course and whether it has assignments or not. All courses have a pool of 300 points available. For the ones without assignments, 100 points goes to the quizzes and 200 points to the final exam. For ones with assignments, quizzes are again worth 100 points, but now the final is worth 100 points and the assignments are worth 100 points. In order to pass a given class, you need 210 points or more out of 300.

For courses WITHOUT an assignment:
  • Take a practice exam before even starting the course. This will give you an idea of how much you actually need to pay attention during the course. Depending on the material, you may already know enough to pass the final exam. But you can't unlock the final exam until you complete all of the quizzes. 
  • Some courses also have a separate exam to automatically mark quizzes as complete, based on what you already know. If that's an option for your chosen course, take that exam, too. 
  • Now, when doing the lessons, check out the quiz page first. This will let you know which key concepts you should be watching for when reading/watching the lessons.
  • If you read quickly, that's almost always going to be faster than the videos. But the videos may make it easier to absorb the information. You might want to set the videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed if you watch them.
  • To make life easier for yourself, you need to get 100% on each quiz within the first 3 attempts. As each quiz is 3-8 questions (usually 5 questions), this is easier than it sounds. 
  • Assuming you got 100 percent of quizzes correct in the first 3 attempts, you only need to score 56% or better for the 210 points to pass. Take the practice exam twice after completing the quizzes. This will give you a good idea of how well you'll do on the actual final. Final exam scores are usually around +/- 10% of the practice exam. So, if you get 58% on the practice final, you're going to want to spend more time studying the concepts that you missed (because if you score 48% on the final, you will not pass). If you get 70% or more on the practice final both times you take the practice final, go ahead and take the real final exam immediately.
For courses WITH an assignment: 
  • Follow the steps outlined above, but now (for acceleration purposes), you're aiming to score at least 70% on the final exam. Ever extra point on the final will save you time later!
  • SDC will tell you that you need to submit assignments before the course can be completed. You can safely ignore this and take the exam before submitting any assignments.
  • How well you do on the exam dictates how long you will need to spend on the assignment(s). If you get 80% on the exam and 100% on the quizzes, you only need 30 more more points from the assignments. Look at the rubric(s) and see what will net you the most points. For courses that have multiple assignments, you may only need to submit one to get a passing grade.
  • For science courses with labs, you follow a different path. You want to complete the lab before taking the final. If you get 100% on the quizzes and 95% on the lab, you only need 16% or better on the final exam. Since the lab is the easiest part for many people, this takes a lot of pressure off of the final exam. 
Depending on how much time you have to devote to your studies, you can fully complete most SDC courses (not counting assignments) in 2-3 days. Once you've taken all of the exams you can for the month, you can then cancel or pause your membership while you complete any assignments. If you won't be needing any further SDC courses, cancel. There is a link where you can submit assignments even after you've cancelled your membership. If you plan to take more SDC courses, especially ones that have assignments, pause your membership. Reactivate it once you've completed your assignments and submit those assignments first thing, before doing anything else. Make sure you print out or otherwise save the pages with the assignment instructions (and any other relevant pages) before cancelling or pausing your membership.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • bruh, CarpeDiem8
I have a slightly different method, which is to try to set aside a block of time where I can quickly go through all the quizzes and the final exam in one sitting so it's fresh in my mind. To save time I skip the material and instead learn by taking the quizzes. I also do this with Sophia, although Sophia can be even faster if you only complete the minimum of one correct question in challenges. It usually takes less than 5 hours for the whole course, but sometimes it takes a whole day for more difficult courses. Warning - while it has worked well for me, this method is not for everyone!
(02-25-2022, 06:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It greatly depends on the course and whether it has assignments or not. All courses have a pool of 300 points available. For the ones without assignments, 100 points goes to the quizzes and 200 points to the final exam. For ones with assignments, quizzes are again worth 100 points, but now the final is worth 100 points and the assignments are worth 100 points. In order to pass a given class, you need 210 points or more out of 300.

For courses WITHOUT an assignment:
  • Take a practice exam before even starting the course. This will give you an idea of how much you actually need to pay attention during the course. Depending on the material, you may already know enough to pass the final exam. But you can't unlock the final exam until you complete all of the quizzes. 
  • Some courses also have a separate exam to automatically mark quizzes as complete, based on what you already know. If that's an option for your chosen course, take that exam, too. 
  • Now, when doing the lessons, check out the quiz page first. This will let you know which key concepts you should be watching for when reading/watching the lessons.
  • If you read quickly, that's almost always going to be faster than the videos. But the videos may make it easier to absorb the information. You might want to set the videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed if you watch them.
  • To make life easier for yourself, you need to get 100% on each quiz within the first 3 attempts. As each quiz is 3-8 questions (usually 5 questions), this is easier than it sounds. 
  • Assuming you got 100 percent of quizzes correct in the first 3 attempts, you only need to score 56% or better for the 210 points to pass. Take the practice exam twice after completing the quizzes. This will give you a good idea of how well you'll do on the actual final. Final exam scores are usually around +/- 10% of the practice exam. So, if you get 58% on the practice final, you're going to want to spend more time studying the concepts that you missed (because if you score 48% on the final, you will not pass). If you get 70% or more on the practice final both times you take the practice final, go ahead and take the real final exam immediately.
For courses WITH an assignment: 
  • Follow the steps outlined above, but now (for acceleration purposes), you're aiming to score at least 70% on the final exam. Ever extra point on the final will save you time later!
  • SDC will tell you that you need to submit assignments before the course can be completed. You can safely ignore this and take the exam before submitting any assignments.
  • How well you do on the exam dictates how long you will need to spend on the assignment(s). If you get 80% on the exam and 100% on the quizzes, you only need 30 more more points from the assignments. Look at the rubric(s) and see what will net you the most points. For courses that have multiple assignments, you may only need to submit one to get a passing grade.
  • For science courses with labs, you follow a different path. You want to complete the lab before taking the final. If you get 100% on the quizzes and 95% on the lab, you only need 16% or better on the final exam. Since the lab is the easiest part for many people, this takes a lot of pressure off of the final exam. 
Depending on how much time you have to devote to your studies, you can fully complete most SDC courses (not counting assignments) in 2-3 days. Once you've taken all of the exams you can for the month, you can then cancel or pause your membership while you complete any assignments. If you won't be needing any further SDC courses, cancel. There is a link where you can submit assignments even after you've cancelled your membership. If you plan to take more SDC courses, especially ones that have assignments, pause your membership. Reactivate it once you've completed your assignments and submit those assignments first thing, before doing anything else. Make sure you print out or otherwise save the pages with the assignment instructions (and any other relevant pages) before cancelling or pausing your membership.

So is there a textbook, and video lessons? Do they pretty well cover the same material, and do the videos narrow it down to the important topics only?
(02-27-2022, 07:43 PM)AW84 Wrote: So is there a textbook, and video lessons? Do they pretty well cover the same material, and do the videos narrow it down to the important topics only?

No textbook. The videos sometimes reference charts/images in the written articles.

Lessons are often shared across courses; you only need to pass the lesson's quiz once.

You can preview lessons without registering: https://study.com/academy/course/index.html
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
There is not a textbook. You can either watch the videos or read the lesson text below the videos. For some topics, you don't get a video. The videos and/or text lessons cover everything you need to pass the SDC course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
For resubmitted assignments, how many times can you do that?

I just submitted the assignment for Data Structures & Algorithms. It's working, but I've never written anything in Java before, so it was spaghetti code and I'm sure looks embarrassing to anyone who knows what they're doing. I'm assuming some revisions are in order. I still have a week before another exam opens up for me, so if I get this back soon enough hopefully I can bump my score up high enough to really breeze through the final.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Under "Assignments" in the syllabus: https://study.com/academy/course/compute...nformation

Quote:
  • If you are unsatisfied with your score, you will be able to revise and resubmit your assignment(s) twice. You are free to resubmit an assignment within two weeks of your most recent exam attempt or at any point if you have an active college accelerator membership.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • jsd
Thanks. Hopefully it doesn't need too much work.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

lol, 100/100 on the assignment. i guess it won't need much revision. So I guess I only need 10 points on the final?? (I have 100 on the quizzes, of course)

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 4 108 9 hours ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,421 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 979 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 705 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,450 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,621 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,165 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 760 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,888 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 369 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM