Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many Fs in transcript, how will that impact me?
Once I graduate from TESU, I will have a 4.0 GPA (only because one course was taken with TESU hilarious), but that doesn't matter because graduate schools will be checking ALL transcripts. The problem I have is I have 7 Fs in my first transcript, all of them from different years. The reason for these Fs is because I had to prioritize work over college during these times and didn't complete any of these courses (otherwise I would have gotten good grades in all of them! I regret taking these courses at the wrong times, wish I had discovered DegreeForum and TESU years ago!). How can I expect this to affect me while applying for graduate school?
It definitely could, but it depends on the grad school. Did you have one in mind?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Nixi Wrote:Once I graduate from TESU, I will have a 4.0 GPA (only because one course was taken with TESU hilarious), but that doesn't matter because graduate schools will be checking ALL transcripts. The problem I have is I have 7 Fs in my first transcript, all of them from different years. The reason for these Fs is because I had to prioritize work over college during these times and didn't complete any of these courses (otherwise I would have gotten good grades in all of them! I regret taking these courses at the wrong times, wish I had discovered DegreeForum and TESU years ago!). Will that have any negative impact while applying to a graduate school?

Yes, they'll look into those credits and GPA. However, I don't think that's the only thing they'll look at, there are other prerequisites for admission.
You should be fine as long as the other bases are covered and the prerequisites are completed. Furthermore, many grad schools only look at the last 60 credits and evaluate from there. You may want to go for a competency based masters, anyways, wish you luck on whichever program you decide to attend.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
jsd Wrote:It definitely could, but it depends on the grad school. Did you have one in mind?

I don't want to jump into graduate school right away, finding a better job after I'm done with my current degree is my first priority. Georgia Tech's Online Master of Science in Computer Science program is one of the programs I'm considering whenever I'm ready.

bjcheung77 Wrote:Yes, they'll look into those credits and GPA. However, I don't think that's the only thing they'll look at, there are other prerequisites for admission.
You should be fine as long as the other bases are covered and the prerequisites are completed. Furthermore, many grad schools only look at the last 60 credits and evaluate from there. You may want to go for a competency based masters, anyways, wish you luck on whichever program you decide to attend.

Thanks!
I had an F and a couple D's from way back. OMSCS took me anyway. If you think it will really be a problem, you can explain in your background statement, but it may be better not to draw extra attention to it. I didn't mention it, but my overall GPA was 3.4 even with them.

It's also possible to appeal a rejection, so you might wait until then to make an impassioned plea that you're a better student now.

One thing I've learned from this process is that there is almost always some way forward for someone with determination. If you can't fix it, then there's no sense worrying about it until it's proved to be an issue.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:I had an F and a couple D's from way back. OMSCS took me anyway. If you think it will really be a problem, you can explain in your background statement, but it may be better not to draw extra attention to it. I didn't mention it, but my overall GPA was 3.4 even with them.

It's also possible to appeal a rejection, so you might wait until then to make an impassioned plea that you're a better student now.

I just checked that program out, nice... OMSCS at Georgia Tech is about $7 grand for that program, and has several concentrations to choose from...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
davewill Wrote:I had an F and a couple D's from way back. OMSCS took me anyway. If you think it will really be a problem, you can explain in your background statement, but it may be better not to draw extra attention to it. I didn't mention it, but my overall GPA was 3.4 even with them.

One thing I've learned from this process is that there is almost always some way forward for someone with determination. If you can't fix it, then there's no sense worrying about it until it's proved to be an issue.

That's great to hear. Thanks for your advice, and best of luck with this program in fall!
You can always go back to the school(s) where you took those courses and retake them if the school(s) has a policy where they will accept the new grade. It could help. Replacing an F with a A or B is great option. Maybe not for all 7 courses, but for a few it might make a difference. Especially ones where you could get an easy A. Or ones where they have the course available in different ways - online, or in a short term, like an 8-week half term instead of a full 16-week semester.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Nixi Wrote:Once I graduate from TESU, I will have a 4.0 GPA (only because one course was taken with TESU hilarious), but that doesn't matter because graduate schools will be checking ALL transcripts. The problem I have is I have 7 Fs in my first transcript, all of them from different years. The reason for these Fs is because I had to prioritize work over college during these times and didn't complete any of these courses (otherwise I would have gotten good grades in all of them! I regret taking these courses at the wrong times, wish I had discovered DegreeForum and TESU years ago!). How can I expect this to affect me while applying for graduate school?

My math shows you'd need 60 additional credits at "A" to bring your overall GPA to a 3.0

(63 credits @ 4.0 + 21 credits at 0.00 = 3.0)

Dfrecore's suggestion of replacing those 7 courses AT THE COLLEGE YOU EARNED THE "F" is certainly a lot less work and cost.
It depends on the school you are applying to. I chose 3 schools (not including Kaplan) and they only requested a transcript from my degree granting institution. I listed all schools on the application; however not all transcripts were required... Just my experience
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcript requirements for grad school... what about ACE/NCCRS? studyingfortests 13 1,953 08-18-2021, 11:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Walden MBA transcript question Whitepines 9 1,505 07-30-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Whitepines
  LSAC asking for transcript from insurance ethics class withrown 4 962 03-15-2021, 12:48 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  WGU Transcript Requirements sanantone 7 2,033 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Grad school admissions ACE transcript consolidation? Decius73 5 1,491 01-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Last Post: cookderosa