Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traditional students rebelling against online education
(05-07-2020, 08:03 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:50 AM)bluebooger Wrote: > Yes, find me 5 successful politicians who got their bachelors online though?

I can do better than that

I can show you 5 students who dropped out of in-person classes at Harvard University, University of Chicago, University of Texas, Reed College and yet became billionaires

Mark Zuckerberg
Bill Gates
Lawrence Ellison
Michael Dell
Steve Jobs

see ? in-person classes and connections and the ability to exchange ideas with professors and other students in person is highly overrated

moral of story: if our goal is to get rich and be successful we should all drop out
No, in this case they dropped out because they all got into tech and had to focus on their work.  They also got into tech at breakthrough points.

Bill Gates for example was already a bright mind who was hand picked to attend that selective college he dropped out from. Bill Gates wasn't out there trying to get Straighterline credits to eventually drop out of University of Phoenix and then go into a coding bootcamp, he was and still is a genius and his mind works at a very high level.

All of these people were. They would've been successful with or without college. We can't say the same for 99% of the population that lacks structure and the proper habits.

(05-07-2020, 01:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Stoic is confusing success vs education. 

I spend $5,000-$10,000 per week doing Executive Education because I can. Big Grin   My peers in these EE programs are very successful. Some with no college at all.  I have only met one who was an Ivy grad.  They come from all walks of life.  

I'm not confusing anything. Maybe you are?

Also, wildly successful people don't take executive certificates or whatever that it is. That's for workers,  as a matter fact super rich people don't even have LinkedIN or care for it. 

It's Executive Education. 

OK, the Army and USCG Generals/Admirals and the U.S. Congressmen in my class are not wildly successful people.   The lady whose signature is on her Nations money in my small group either. 

It does NOT sound like you know anything about EE.  Have you been to any?

I will put my Net Worth against “the average” Ivy type any day. How about YOU?

Tyra Banks Harvard Business School alumni (EE Program) has more money than you and I combined.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cel..._blog.html

Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • rachel83az
(05-07-2020, 08:37 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:50 AM)bluebooger Wrote: > Yes, find me 5 successful politicians who got their bachelors online though?

I can show you 5 students who dropped out of in-person classes at Harvard University, University of Chicago, University of Texas, Reed College and yet became billionaires

Mark Zuckerberg
Bill Gates
Lawrence Ellison
Michael Dell
Steve Jobs

see ? in-person classes and connections and the ability to exchange ideas with professors and other students in person is highly overrated

moral of story: if our goal is to get rich and be successful we should all drop out
No, in this case they dropped out because they all got into tech and had to focus on their work.  They also got into tech at breakthrough points.

Bill Gates for example was already a bright mind who was hand picked to attend that selective college he dropped out from. Bill Gates wasn't out there trying to get Straighterline credits to eventually drop out of University of Phoenix and then go into a coding bootcamp, he was and still is a genius and his mind works at a very high level.

All of these people were. They would've been successful with or without college. We can't say the same for 99% of the population that lacks structure and the proper habits.

(05-07-2020, 01:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Stoic is confusing success vs education. 

I spend $5,000-$10,000 per week doing Executive Education because I can. Big Grin   My peers in these EE programs are very successful. Some with no college at all.  I have only met one who was an Ivy grad.  They come from all walks of life.  

Also, wildly successful people don't take executive certificates or whatever that it is. That's for workers,  as a matter fact super rich people don't even have LinkedIN or care for it. 

OK, the Army and USCG Generals/Admirals and the U.S. Congressmen in my class are not wildly successful people.   The lady whose signature is on her Nations money in my small group either. 

Tyra Banks Harvard Business School alumni (EE Program) has more money than you and I combined.

Executive Education is just another word for just pay and get some certificate. I bet your current Executive Education program has no barrier to entry.

It's the barrier to entry that matters. I bet I can whip out my credit card and join your executive education program by just paying. Which fundamentally makes it worthless unless your organization is paying for it and you need it to maintain your position or rank, etc.

The Army and USCG Generals enroll into this because they don't pay for it and it moves them up the rank pyramid structure in those organizations. Now has Richard Branson recently enrolled into an executive education certificate program? Probably not.

"Tyra Banks Harvard Business School Alumni." Yes she paid for an EE certificate, she did it in her 40's or whatever at a point that's of low impact career wise even if she was a "worker" within the traditional labor system. She's also attacked online because she puts the Harvard brand on her profile which is how you will be seen as well the moment you try to pass an EE certificate as a legit bonafied source of education relevant to that school's highly competitive traditional program. As a fake, and everyone knows it: https://jezebel.com/tyra-banks-needs-to-...b-30776051 - We all know that once again is the barrier to entry that matters.

Also how did she make her money? Was it a result of her certificate program? Or was it a result of genius and talent in another field? So in her highly competitive field do you think online acting classes would've gotten her to the point that she got to? As it stands, I read somewhere that only about 400 actors in Hollywood make real money in the industry. Tyra probably being one of them or whatever (im not too much into this whole hollywood stuff), and her success is likely due to the fact that A) She took in person acting classes when she was young and B) Look at her, she's a model and beautiful people go far in live.

We are not exactly talking about someone who's short, fat and ugly here or are we? I mean you brought someone who achieved "supermodel" status or whatever that means as an example of how Executive Education can work for the average person. And even then that same person gets attacked online for deceiving people, because it's all about barrier to entry. 

So what a great example.  Tongue

Anyway when it comes to education at the higher end is the barrier to entry that matters. Sorry but Executive Education doesn't matter. No one cares about that stuff because it has no barrier to entry.

So for the 15th time.... barrier to entry

Otherwise we are just checking in the box and that's OK. I accepted that and will work with it.

Have you?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stoic's post:
  • jsd
(05-07-2020, 10:35 PM)Stoic Wrote:

Mark Zuckerberg
Bill Gates
Lawrence Ellison
Michael Dell
Steve Jobs

Executive Education is just another word for just pay and get some certificate. I bet your current Executive Education program has no barrier to entry.

It's the barrier to entry that matters. I bet I can whip out my credit card and join your executive education program by just paying. Which fundamentally makes it worthless unless your organization is paying for it and you need it to maintain your position or rank, etc.

The Army and USCG Generals enroll into this because they don't pay for it and it moves them up the rank pyramid structure in those organizations. Now has Richard Branson recently enrolled into an executive education certificate program? Probably not.

"Tyra Banks Harvard Business School Alumni." Yes she paid for an EE certificate, she did it in her 40's or whatever at a point that's of low impact career wise even if she was a "worker" within the traditional labor system. She's also attacked online because she puts the Harvard brand on her profile which is how you will be seen as well the moment you try to pass an EE certificate as a legit bonafied source of education relevant to that school's highly competitive traditional program. As a fake, and everyone knows it: https://jezebel.com/tyra-banks-needs-to-...b-30776051 - We all know that once again is the barrier to entry that matters.

Also how did she make her money? Was it a result of her certificate program? Or was it a result of genius and talent in another field? So in her highly competitive field do you think online acting classes would've gotten her to the point that she got to? As it stands, I read somewhere that only about 400 actors in Hollywood make real money in the industry. Tyra probably being one of them or whatever (im not too much into this whole hollywood stuff), and her success is likely due to the fact that A) She took in person acting classes when she was young and B) Look at her, she's a model and beautiful people go far in live.

We are not exactly talking about someone who's short, fat and ugly here or are we? I mean you brought someone who achieved "supermodel" status or whatever that means as an example of how Executive Education can work for the average person. And even then that same person gets attacked online for deceiving people, because it's all about barrier to entry. 

Anyway when it comes to education at the higher end is the barrier to entry that matters. Sorry but Executive Education doesn't matter. No one cares about that stuff because it has no barrier to entry.

Otherwise we are just checking in the box and that's OK. I accepted that.

Have you?

Now an in house seat at a Masters program at a selective university with at Princeton or Julliard, that's a different story.

OK, I will never run into you taking Executive Education programs.  Are you even working?  Education is a racket and money buys your alumni status…..go figure! Big Grin  
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(05-07-2020, 10:41 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:35 PM)Stoic Wrote:

Mark Zuckerberg
Bill Gates
Lawrence Ellison
Michael Dell
Steve Jobs

Otherwise we are just checking in the box and that's OK. I accepted that.

Have you?

Now an in house seat at a Masters program at a selective university with at Princeton or Julliard, that's a different story.

OK, I will never run into you taking Executive Education programs.  Are you even working?  Education is a racket and money buys your alumni status…..go figure! Big Grin  

Yep I'm part of a startup and have equity in the company.  Last month we had our best month yet since we are in an industry that benefits from people working from home.

When we sell or merge I will be set for life if I manage my money well.

I appreciate that you're looking out for me and my well being, or do I sense a bit of an Ad hominem? You know that personal attacks aren't cool. They usually signal out weakness and anger by the way and when we get emotional, we lose at life.

So stick with the original idea behind this whole thing which is around the the traditional students rebelling against the change topic, or just call it a day and go to sleep.

Like I mentioned. They have a reason to do what they are doing. That's my final opinion. It is is what is. I would be mad too. There's a clear difference in quality at the higher levels between in person and online classes, specially at undergrad.
  • jsd
(05-07-2020, 05:29 AM)Stoic Wrote:  I bet there are no millionaires in this forum, I do bet there's a bunch of underemployed people or career workers. 

You are the one who picked the fight.  Two in this thread alone are Big 3 graduates who are what you said we are not.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • ss20ts
I think this whole forum needs to get an executive education certificate in when and when not to use quotes. I've never seen such quote-chain insanity on any other forum, ever. It would be unbelievable if not seen with ones own eyes. A user replying with a quote that takes up half a page paired with a single sentence of new material makes me question their intelligence and ability to prosper far more than where they went to school or any other variable.
[-] The following 4 users Like ARhead's post:
  • jsd, PrettyFlyforaChiGuy, ss20ts, Zed

PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
...So, even though I know it was partly tongue-in-cheek, when people point to the success of famous drop-outs, they often neglect to mention that these individuals were already gifted enough to be admitted to these top programs in the first place, or that they had a marketable business idea, or the contacts to pursue it. They were already some of the brightest we had to offer anyway.

...To add to your point, did you know that Will Smith was accepted to MIT on scholarship and turned it down? Amazing. Some people will always be successful no matter what field they pursue.

(05-07-2020, 07:48 AM)natshar Wrote: These aren't online courses. They are poorly planned online coruses there is a difference.

If you sign up for an online course you are getting a teacher who knows how to teach online and the tools to succeed. Students and professors who sign for online day 1 know what they are signing up for.

With this coivid you might get a teacher who doesn't know how to use the technology. Broken links or downloads. A schedule and deadlines that are in flux and not easy to follow or understand. I can say my online courses are not the same as they were in person. I've stories from my peers. Many college students right now are not getting a quality education.

Also I don't think the universities should refund the full amount full all those services. Students did use them some of the semester and this is unprecedented. So a partial refund pro rated seems fair but a refund whole semester seems a little much.

On the money.
[-] The following 2 users Like indigoshuffle's post:
  • natshar, PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
(05-07-2020, 11:25 PM)ARhead Wrote: "I think this whole forum needs to get an executive education certificate in when and when not to use quotes."

(ARhead, 2020)

I regret that I have but one like to give you.

Shanghai Intl. School Leadership Team Member, College Counselor, SAT-, PSAT-, & SSD-Coordinator. Reverts to PADI Divemaster when near a coast.

BS Anthropology (Minors: History, Brazilian Studies) | Tulane (3.90, summa cum laude)
BA History & Political Science (Minors: Pre-Law, Intl. Studies, Social Studies, Criminal Justice, & Business Admin) | UMPI 
MS Early Childhood Studies: Administration, Management, & Leadership | Walden (3.90)
Certificate Teachers College College Advising Program | Columbia
Certificate College Access Counseling | Rice
Certificate College Admissions Specialist | American School Counselors Association
Goals: A) EdD/MS in Higher Ed; B) 51/195 Countries; C) Find 3rd good hamburger in Shanghai (accomplished June '19, August '21, and...?)

[-] The following 3 users Like PrettyFlyforaChiGuy's post:
  • a4tunatemom, ARhead, jsd
(05-07-2020, 05:29 AM)Stoic Wrote: if what you want is to learn and shoot off to a competitive environment and great career. I bet there are no millionaires in this forum, I do bet there's a bunch of underemployed people or career workers. Now go check the amount of millionaire's coming out of Stanford.
Your characterization is inaccurate. A non-traditional education can most certainly open the same kind of doors as an on-campus education, for an ambitious individual.

And I can tell you with absolute certainty that millionaires exist on this forum.
In progress: TESU: BS CIS | Coursera: Google IT Support
Completed: TESU: BSAST Nuclear Engineering Technology (2004)
[-] The following 3 users Like TopHatWombat's post:
  • indigoshuffle, Life Long Learning, rachel83az
(05-07-2020, 11:00 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 05:29 AM)Stoic Wrote:  I bet there are no millionaires in this forum, I do bet there's a bunch of underemployed people or career workers. 

You are the one who picked the fight.  Two in this thread alone are Big 3 graduates who are what you said we are not.

True I let you reel me into it. Perhaps I didn't know how to put together my thoughts well. I'm also doing the online thing for my degrees, but like I said I have learned absolutely nothing from a perspective of teacher to student relationship in these programs. I'm into the humanities, so there's a need to have effective communication with me.

To me there's a big difference  when it comes to online and offline. But on the plus side we can take our Big 3 degrees and get into good Master programs and make up whatever it is that we think we missed.

I'm most definitely attending a hybrid type of program where is online and offline to experience that feeling and I thank that to all the ACE credit and cramming that I did.

If I do online only all the way and never sit into a class with a great professor, I'll be doing myself a disservice in my own mind. But that's just the way I think.
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 268 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,147 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 211 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 151 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,697 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,611 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 351 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045