Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcript GPA
I searched and saw many threads about how GPA is calculated from TESU but I didn't see this specific verbiage so I wasn't quite sure what the answer it.  

Most of my credits have been via test out so I understand those wont have any GPA associated with them.  The only two classes I will have from TESU are the SOS-110 and Capstone.  I have roughly 20 credits that transferred in from my local CC that are at a 2.0 ( Undecided).  Assuming I do well on the SOS and Capstone I understand the GPA on the transcript will still only reflect those two classes.  To be admitted for the program to get an alternative teaching certificate in Texas the programs require the statement below.  Am I right in thinking that the two classes from TESU will be the "undergrad GPA" or does it likely mean a cumulative GPA?

Minimum 2.5 GPA or At Least a 2.5 in The Last 60 Semester Credit Hours

Minimum 2.50 GPA (your undergraduate GPA as posted on conferred degree transcript), or.
Minimum 2.50 GPA in last 60 hours.
Your graduating GPA must be calculated and posted by the university on your official transcripts.
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
Your TESU GPA is based solely on grades from courses taken directly with them. That is the GPA that appears on your TESU official transcript.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-20-2019, 08:59 AM)allvia Wrote: Your TESU GPA is based solely on grades from courses taken directly with them.  That is the GPA that appears on your TESU official transcript.

Right, so would this be considered your "undergrad GPA" or is the undergrad GPA all colleges with a letter grade?  I am thinking it is what you said but just want to make sure all the ducks are in a row.
The language is a bit ambiguous. It is worded to give a chance to use the GPA on the whole transcript from your degree granting school, or to limit it to just the last 60 credits. It doesn't say what happens if you don't HAVE 60 credits on your transcript. It sounds like they may want your CC transcript as well so they can check your last "60" credits (my guess), or they may be happy with the GPA from your TESU transcript.

Probably best to just to ask admissions how the policy would be applied in your situation. If you need more graded credits or need to replace sub "C" grades at the CC, better to know now.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • darthweezy
(08-20-2019, 09:44 AM)davewill Wrote: The language is a bit ambiguous. It is worded to give a chance to use the GPA on the whole transcript from your degree granting school, or to limit it to just the last 60 credits. It doesn't say what happens if you don't HAVE 60 credits on your transcript. It sounds like they may want your CC transcript as well so they can check your last "60" credits (my guess), or they may be happy with the GPA from your TESU transcript.

Probably best to just to ask admissions how the policy would be applied in your situation. If you need more graded credits or need to replace sub "C" grades at the CC, better to know now.

After a few days of trying to get people on the phone I was finally able to get someone.  They want a cumulative GPA for all graded courses.  I can have less than 60 graded courses but it will be based on all of the schools I've been to not just TESU.  Looks like I'll need to sign up for some graded courses at the local CC to boost those grades back up!
(08-20-2019, 09:27 AM)darthweezy Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 08:59 AM)allvia Wrote: Your TESU GPA is based solely on grades from courses taken directly with them.  That is the GPA that appears on your TESU official transcript.

Right, so would this be considered your "undergrad GPA" or is the undergrad GPA all colleges with a letter grade?  I am thinking it is what you said but just want to make sure all the ducks are in a row.

Based on this statement you posted "Minimum 2.50 GPA (your undergraduate GPA as posted on conferred degree transcript)" it is the GPA as posted on your official TESU transcript; as they will be the provider of your official conferred degree transcript
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-20-2019, 10:10 AM)darthweezy Wrote: After a few days of trying to get people on the phone I was finally able to get someone.  They want a cumulative GPA for all graded courses.  I can have less than 60 graded courses but it will be based on all of the schools I've been to not just TESU.  Looks like I'll need to sign up for some graded courses at the local CC to boost those grades back up!

If it's the same CC you went to before, look into their grade replacement policy. Replacing a "D" or "F" with a higher grade will raise your GPA a lot faster than adding new courses. Of course, make sure the program will honor the grade replacement. It's not unheard of for grad schools to insist on counting both the old bad grade and the replacement grade, but they will probably be fine about it.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(08-20-2019, 10:10 AM)darthweezy Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 09:44 AM)davewill Wrote: The language is a bit ambiguous. It is worded to give a chance to use the GPA on the whole transcript from your degree granting school, or to limit it to just the last 60 credits. It doesn't say what happens if you don't HAVE 60 credits on your transcript. It sounds like they may want your CC transcript as well so they can check your last "60" credits (my guess), or they may be happy with the GPA from your TESU transcript.

After a few days of trying to get people on the phone I was finally able to get someone.  They want a cumulative GPA for all graded courses.  I can have less than 60 graded courses but it will be based on all of the schools I've been to not just TESU.  Looks like I'll need to sign up for some graded courses at the local CC to boost those grades back up!

You have to get a lot of A's to bring a GPA up.  How many credits do you have at that CC?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-21-2019, 12:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You have to get a lot of A's to bring a GPA up.  How many credits do you have at that CC?

It doesn't look too bad, actually. He's got 20 credits at CC with a GPA of 2.0.

By my calculations, if he gets an A on both the cornerstone and capstone, that brings it the total GPA up to 2.46:
20 credits @ 2.0 = 40 grade points
6 credits @ 4.0 = 24 grade points
40+24 = 64 grade points, divided by 26 credits = 2.46 GPA

If he gets even one more "A" credit, he gets to 2.51:
68 grade points, divided by 27 credits = 2.51 GPA

If his CC GPA is actually a little above 2.0, he makes the cut without adding credits:
20 credits @ 2.1 = 42 grade points
6 credits @ 4.0 = 24 grade points
42+24 = 66 grade points, divided by 26 credits = 2.53 GPA

@darthweezy, you can plug your actual number of credits and GPA from CC into the attached spreadsheet to calculate a more accurate GPA.

Attached Files
.xls   darthweezy GPA.xls (Size: 6.5 KB / Downloads: 4)

(08-20-2019, 07:52 AM)darthweezy Wrote: Minimum 2.5 GPA or At Least a 2.5 in The Last 60 Semester Credit Hours

Minimum 2.50 GPA (your undergraduate GPA as posted on conferred degree transcript), or.
Minimum 2.50 GPA in last 60 hours.
Your graduating GPA must be calculated and posted by the university on your official transcripts.

If the "or" is theirs and not your addition to the copy/paste, you're good b/c your conferred degree transcript will exceed 2.5 as clearly stated.

If the "or" was added by you, then assume it to mean "and" which is an entirely different calculation.

BUT, it is my opinion that the second option (last 60) is an "or" option that was placed there to help people who had a rough first attempt at college but returned and have an upward trajectory, thus demonstrating their ability to do college-level work. In either instance, your transcript demonstrates that. Congratulations!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Application and Transcript Transfer? Jwheels27 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How often Study.com transcript to TESU? Carnation 3 439 12-09-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 414 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Transcript Key? Insert Name 1 392 07-06-2023, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  How do alt credits display on TESU transcript? CanICode 12 1,592 03-09-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What my final transcript will look like (2nd degree)? frankc 2 463 02-27-2023, 03:10 PM
Last Post: frankc
  TESU transcript before graduation spohara 2 692 10-16-2022, 08:45 AM
Last Post: spohara
  Does TESU confirm receipt of Credly transcript? skw512e 11 1,564 06-22-2022, 01:05 PM
Last Post: skw512e
  Theoretical question: Adding ACE credits to a TESU transcript after graduation? studyingfortests 12 1,583 06-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  TESU Transcript to get into Credential Program Issue HELP! tls7291 8 1,904 05-11-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: davewill