Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcript Review - Help, which of the big 3?
mrs.b Wrote:Print out the list of TESC-approved courses in that pdf, then go here: https://training.fema.gov/IS/ceus.aspx
Match the IS number exactly to the course listed on FEMA's Emergency Management Institute. If looking at a BSBA, take a look at the Professional Development Series (on the FEMA EMI site, it's one of the links on the right in the header). Most, if not all of those courses are credit-worthy (or were when I did them about this time last year), and when you complete all of that series, you get a spiffy little certificate you can list seperately on your resume.

Once you pick the course(s) you want, click the specific course descrption, and off to the right is a "Take This Course" link that'll take you to either a pdf book, or an interactive website. Go through the material until you're cozy with it. Then click the "Take the Final Exam Online" link, and take the exam. You'll get your results within 24-hours (usually a few minutes later but seems to randomly take longer), but as soon as you finish one, move on to the next without waiting. On the off chance you fail one, go back through the material and take the final again; you can take it as often as you need. Once you've got 6+ credit-worthy FEMA courses that TESC's sheet acknowledges are at least a credit each, go back to the FEMA EMI main page and off to the right is a link to request a transcript. Do that, and have it sent to TESC, and your free electives will be done!

Thank you for your help. I followed your instructions. There are 7 courses on the FEMA site for the Professional Development Series. In comparing with the PDF from TESC I only see 4 of the 7 as transferable.

Where can I earn the other 2 credits for my max of 6? Can I simply take any of the FEMA courses which TESC accepts or do I need to be somehow finding what will specifically work for the BSBA-Management?

Here is the direct link the to Professional Development Series courses.
https://training.fema.gov/IS/searchIS.aspx?search=PDS

IS-120.a An Introduction to Exercises (TESC PDF says I must also have IS-130)
IS-230.c Fundamentals of Emergency Management (Course not listed on the TESC PDF)
IS-235.b Emergency Planning (TESC Accepts)
IS-240.a Leadership & Influence (TESC Accepts)
IS-241.a Decision Making and Problem Solving (TESC Accepts)
IS-242.a Effective Communication (TESC Accepts)
IS-244.b Developing and Managing Volunteers (Course not listed on the TESC PDF)

I might go ahead and take all the Professional Development Series courses for the quick CERT but otherwise it appears some of these wont help me.
They may have dropped some since last year; I could've sworn more of the PDS was credit-worthy. No matter, it's still a quick and FREEbie cert. I'd recommend doing them all just for fun, and to get your feet wet on the return to learning process.
:hurray:

As for the remaining two free elective credits...yes, any of the courses on the TESC-approved list will be accepted (unless they change the list and drop them before receiving your transcript, so don't dally in having that sent once you complete them...TESC is notorious for changing that list frequently), so browse through the descriptions of the ones TESC will accept, pick two you think you might enjoy, and do them. Your free elective section of your degree is just that - anything you want can go there. I had a 1-credit Volleyball course in mine until I dropped my FEMAs in their place, and replaced it with a the Hurricane Awareness FEMA. Awarded to the eval without question.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
You already have 6 credits or more of free electives for the BSBA, so there is no point in taking the FEMA credits, unless you really want to. For instance, you can complete the PDS courses, FEMA will send you a certificate, and you can add that to your resume. All for free Smile
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
AlbaTiVo Wrote:You already have 6 credits or more of free electives for the BSBA, so there is no point in taking the FEMA credits, unless you really want to. For instance, you can complete the PDS courses, FEMA will send you a certificate, and you can add that to your resume. All for free Smile

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that based on the credits I've already earned from Community Colleges I've already met my free electives need for BSBA and therefore the FEMA credits wont get many any closer to the degree than I already am?

I'm all for learning and a free and easy CERT but if the credits are going to get me any closer to my degree then I don't think its worth my time right now. Please someone let me know. Thanks
andrewtn Wrote:I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that based on the credits I've already earned from Community Colleges I've already met my free electives need for BSBA and therefore the FEMA credits wont get many any closer to the degree than I already am?

I'm all for learning and a free and easy CERT but if the credits are going to get me any closer to my degree then I don't think its worth my time right now. Please someone let me know. Thanks

Ok, I think I might have caused this confusion. I mentioned the 27 free electives for the BA so ignore all of that. Follow the BSBA wiki to be sure that you can use FEMA and to check which ones are currently accepted. If you can use them, you for sure can knock them out in a weekend.
There is another option, some here have done, and that is the BS in Organizational Leadership which doesn't require precal, allows you to roll your MBA prereqs into the degree, and allows 15 free electives. You can check this out too Thomas Edison State College: Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership
Quote:the BS in Organizational Leadership which doesn't require precal
FYI, My understanding is that the BSBA doesn't require precal anymore anyway, at least in the case of Gen Mgmt.. BSBA in General Management Degree Program

Quote:allows you to roll your MBA prereqs into the degree
Could you explain how it does this? I don't know what you mean by this. Maybe you can elaborate or else point me in the direction of something that speaks to this.

With the suggestion of Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP I've been looking into that and it sounds pretty easy. It's available at my local CC next weekend so I think I'll study up on Poetic Terms and get that one knocked out. I'm also thinking about starting on College Algebra through ALEKS this evening as I've struggled with College Algebra and retaining everything needed for the CLEP and I think this method will be better suited for me.
andrewtn Wrote:I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that based on the credits I've already earned from Community Colleges I've already met my free electives need for BSBA and therefore the FEMA credits wont get many any closer to the degree than I already am?

That's right - from what you have posted you already have more than 6 free electives which most of the BSBA's require, but the degree that Jennifer has posted below allows for 15 free electives, so you could use FEMA credits to get you closer to that particular one.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
andrewtn Wrote:FYI, My understanding is that the BSBA doesn't require precal anymore anyway, at least in the case of Gen Mgmt.. BSBA in General Management Degree Program

Could you explain how it does this? I don't know what you mean by this. Maybe you can elaborate or else point me in the direction of something that speaks to this.

With the suggestion of Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP I've been looking into that and it sounds pretty easy. It's available at my local CC next weekend so I think I'll study up on Poetic Terms and get that one knocked out. I'm also thinking about starting on College Algebra through ALEKS this evening as I've struggled with College Algebra and retaining everything needed for the CLEP and I think this method will be better suited for me.

Just meaning that you have "business electives" where you can go in with anything that you are thinking is a prereq for your MBA. Take the A&I Lit, focus on that for the moment, you'll pass and you'll be on your way Smile
you have plenty of time to choose and plan your degree.
Andrew,

Sorry if this is a bit rushed, I'm heading out the door in few minutes.

Take a look at this page for resources where to complete the remaining credits you need for the BSBA at TESC: Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki

Also, here are some sample degree plans that might help you: TESC Degree Plans - Degree Forum Wiki

You could easily finish a BSBA through TESC within a year, especially given the credits you already have. Besides using Straighterline, CLEP, DSST, Excelsior Exams, UExcel, TECEP or Penn Foster for those credits you're missing, try Saylor.org for very cheap credits in Business Law, Business Communications and/or Political Science. You could earn 9 credits through Saylor and spend max $150! Also, don't forget about ALEKS.com for the College Algebra credit you need as well as Penn Foster College for Strategic Management (counts as the BSBA capstone at TESC)!

Finally, you mentioned wanting to take the PMP someday. Before I had to change careers, I was going to do this also and had considered taking some courses in order to prep for it. The PMP requires 35 hours of educational prep which can be fulfilled either by taking classes or of course the various "boot camps". You could satisfy this requirement, prep for the exam AND give yourself not only another resume enhancer but also a start on a graduate degree if you finish the graduate certificate in project management through Amberton University: http://www.amberton.edu/Degrees/Certific...t-PM-G.pdf

If I remember correctly each course through Amberton is about $700 so it's actually cheaper than most PMP boot camps and you get more benefit out of the grad cert than the boot camp!

That's all for now, be happy to help more if you have questions at a later time. Good luck!
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
IrishJohn Wrote:Andrew,

Sorry if this is a bit rushed, I'm heading out the door in few minutes.

Take a look at this page for resources where to complete the remaining credits you need for the BSBA at TESC: Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki

Also, here are some sample degree plans that might help you: TESC Degree Plans - Degree Forum Wiki

You could easily finish a BSBA through TESC within a year, especially given the credits you already have. Besides using Straighterline, CLEP, DSST, Excelsior Exams, UExcel, TECEP or Penn Foster for those credits you're missing, try Saylor.org for very cheap credits in Business Law, Business Communications and/or Political Science. You could earn 9 credits through Saylor and spend max $150! Also, don't forget about ALEKS.com for the College Algebra credit you need as well as Penn Foster College for Strategic Management (counts as the BSBA capstone at TESC)!

Finally, you mentioned wanting to take the PMP someday. Before I had to change careers, I was going to do this also and had considered taking some courses in order to prep for it. The PMP requires 35 hours of educational prep which can be fulfilled either by taking classes or of course the various "boot camps". You could satisfy this requirement, prep for the exam AND give yourself not only another resume enhancer but also a start on a graduate degree if you finish the graduate certificate in project management through Amberton University: http://www.amberton.edu/Degrees/Certific...t-PM-G.pdf

If I remember correctly each course through Amberton is about $700 so it's actually cheaper than most PMP boot camps and you get more benefit out of the grad cert than the boot camp!

That's all for now, be happy to help more if you have questions at a later time. Good luck!

Thank you for all the info and suggestions on options to earn the credit. I think that once I have the info fro TESC on exactly how my credits transfer I'll build out a plan for how I plan to knock out the remaining credits and then share with you folks to get suggestions on improvements. I'll check out Amberton to see what its about but the large global IT company I work for is putting me through all the training at no cost to me and I do earn PDU's towards the PMP. In fact, I already with through the first 3 days of training a few months ago and earned something like 24 PDUs. The training I have in July is supposed to get me to 35 so that I can sit for the test. Although I don't have my bachelors yet I've been working in the PM role managing projects since around 2006-2007 so I have the required experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,106 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ACE Transcript to TESU zzzz24 10 3,422 08-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Last Post: zzzz24
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,070 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU received my DSST transcript - do I need to do anything? Kelly Green 8 2,305 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,077 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU BALS, is the emphasis written on the transcript? posabsolute 21 5,048 08-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: badooble
  TESU lack of dates on Transcript acamp 3 1,328 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Last Post: acamp
  TESU - BSBA in Marketing - Plan Review chattenoire 2 1,256 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM
  What a TESU transcript looks like dfrecore 10 2,804 06-17-2018, 10:26 PM
Last Post: jsd