Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU the change in 1 credit vs 3 credit on capstone course
TESU the change in 1 credit vs 3 credit on capstone course.  If I apply and take that course does it lock me in even if I haven't gotten all my credits to finish just yet?

Anyone more informed know what I am talking about with this change?  I am just starting my journey as of this past Monday.
Yes, if you take the 1-credit cornerstone you've met that requirement, even if you don't finish by the time the change goes into effect.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • morethancjsmom
As long as you don't let your enrollment lapse, you should be fine. That means doing a course or TECEP at least once a year. For many, that will mean doing your Capstone within a year after the Cornerstone, but if you aren't working that fast, it can be a $75 TECEP. There are plenty that will fit into any degree program.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • morethancjsmom
According to the website as long as you finish the cornerstone before July 1, 2019 you are good. The course should only take a few hours to complete max as it is self-paced and easy. It doesn't matter when you apply to TESU or what catalog year you are one as long as you complete it by June 30, 2019 and if you don't then you have to do the 3 credit course.

I think you are mixing things up or at least have the wording mixed up.

Cornerstone: is a 1 credit easy very course that is changing to a 3 credit course. You can take this anytime once you enroll at TESU.

Capstone: is a 3 credit course that hasn't changed and you have to 100 credits done before you start. Very challenging full 12 weeks.

Direct from TESU: 

"Beginning July 1, 2019 all students who have not completed TES-100 by June 30, 2019 will be required to take SOS-110 (3 credits), in lieu of TES-100. SOS-110 may be used to fulfill the required Information Literacy requirement or as an elective in all undergraduate degree programs. "

(01-24-2019, 01:37 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Yes, if you take the 1-credit cornerstone you've met that requirement, even if you don't finish by the time the change goes into effect.

I'm pretty sure you have the cornerstone by June 30, 2019 at least that's what the quote above implies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • morethancjsmom
(01-24-2019, 01:46 PM)davewill Wrote: As long as you don't let your enrollment lapse, you should be fine. That means doing a course or TECEP at least once a year. For many, that will mean doing your Capstone within a year after the Cornerstone, but if you aren't working that fast, it can be a $75 TECEP. There are plenty that will fit into any degree program.

That is some very welcome news!

(01-24-2019, 01:58 PM)natshar Wrote: According to the website as long as you finish the cornerstone before July 1, 2019 you are good. The course should only take a few hours to complete max as it is self-paced and easy. It doesn't matter when you apply to TESU or what catalog year you are one as long as you complete it by June 30, 2019 and if you don't then you have to do the 3 credit course.

Cornerstone: is a 1 credit easy very course that is changing to a 3 credit course. You can take this anytime once you enroll at TESU.

Capstone: is a 3 credit course that hasn't changed and you have to 100 credits done before you start. Very challenging full 12 weeks.

Direct from TESU: 

"Beginning July 1, 2019 all students who have not completed TES-100 by June 30, 2019 will be required to take SOS-110 (3 credits), in lieu of TES-100. SOS-110 may be used to fulfill the required Information Literacy requirement or as an elective in all undergraduate degree programs. "

(01-24-2019, 01:37 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Yes, if you take the 1-credit cornerstone you've met that requirement, even if you don't finish by the time the change goes into effect.

I'm pretty sure you have the cornerstone by June 30, 2019 at least that's what the quote above implies.

Yes I do think I mixed up the name of the course that was changing.  Thank you for the information!
(01-24-2019, 01:58 PM)natshar Wrote: According to the website as long as you finish the cornerstone before July 1, 2019 you are good. The course should only take a few hours to complete max as it is self-paced and easy. It doesn't matter when you apply to TESU or what catalog year you are one as long as you complete it by June 30, 2019 and if you don't then you have to do the 3 credit course.

Direct from TESU: 

That's because the Cornerstone will cease to exist after that date. So you have to get it done by that date because otherwise you can't get it done at all!

Basically, what I'm saying is that you are correct but that it isn't an "extra" requirement, just an extension of the requirement to do one or the other.
Completed:

Up Next:

So to reiterate, it's the cornerstone, not the capstone.

And, I think they're are just changing the cornerstone course itself. Currently, TES-100: Cornerstone Lifelong Learning Strategies is the cornerstone course. It's is 1cr, self-paced. Beginning July 1, SOS-110: Living in the Information Age will be the new cornerstone course. It's 3cr, and you take it as an online 12-week course.

Also, be aware that the current cornerstone course will probably not be offered after a certain point; it will stop being available to sign up for sooner rather than later, because even though it's self-paced and only takes a couple of hours, they have this weird obsession with terms, so if you have to finish it before July 1, then that means you have to take it in a term that ends before July 1; which means April is the last term it will be offered (if my guess is correct). Better to sign up sooner rather than later.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I was guessing that the July 1 date meant that the July term was the first term where it would switch (meaning it would be available for the June term), but dfrecore's guess seems equally valid
Completed:

Up Next:

(01-24-2019, 05:57 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I was guessing that the July 1 date meant that the July term was the first term where it would switch (meaning it would be available for the June term), but dfrecore's guess seems equally valid

True. I'm not sure, I'm just glad I got it done early.

Looks like it is available until the June term: https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=TES-100&sem=

Just make sure to sign up by the June term and finish by June 30, 2019.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,319 7 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 526 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 453 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 477 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 530 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az