Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcripts as non-degree seeking student
Ratfus Wrote:There's no way (at least I think) that a school can perform a national/local search for the classes you've taken at various schools, especially with the laws in place today. A school CAN'T LEGALLY RELEASE any information about you, without your consent. If the school told someone else, without your consent, they could be sued.

National Student Clearinghouse. It will indicate to other schools that you have a transcript at a particular school, but won't give specific details about what you did there. But most schools want ALL transcripts sent to them. If you don't send it, and they check against the Clearinghouse, you'll likely be denied.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:National Student Clearinghouse. It will indicate to other schools that you have a transcript at a particular school, but won't give specific details about what you did there. But most schools want ALL transcripts sent to them. If you don't send it, and they check against the Clearinghouse, you'll likely be denied.

I checked out the site; it appears that they operate like a background checking company. Meaning they verify the schools you put down and the GPA you've earned at said schools, but I highly doubt they have a database of every school you've attended. If the school can't legally give out your information without your consent (tax records are off-limits as well), where they obtain information on an unlisted school? Also, most schools aren't obligated to provide your information to the clearinghouse, so why would they risk legal trouble?

Same thing with a background checking company. They can easily verify the information you include on resumes (with your consent of course), but they typically can't confirm the companies you don't put down on your resume. Of course, ADP is the one exception. If you're on ADP payroll, a company can verify your employment VIA your payroll records; even then, it's pretty rare.

If you plan to not include this class on the transcript, I would be very careful to not apply for financial AID or FAFSTA for this class; that might create a problem.
jsd Wrote:National Student Clearinghouse. It will indicate to other schools that you have a transcript at a particular school, but won't give specific details about what you did there. But most schools want ALL transcripts sent to them. If you don't send it, and they check against the Clearinghouse, you'll likely be denied.
Yes, this is how schools enforce their rules about double dipping credits and multiple degrees, and ensure they have a complete GPA.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:Yes, this is how schools enforce their rules about double dipping credits and multiple degrees, and ensure they have a complete GPA.

Where can they get this information though other than FAFSTA (even that might be pushing it)?

Different states might have unique rules and regulations though. Still think it would be pretty tough to uncover.
They're not providing information that violates FERPA.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:They're not providing information that violates FERPA.

I looked it up, you're right. Kinda scary how much information the clearinghouse can gain, without your consent. Was personally pretty surprised they could just send information.

I've provided a link to a list of schools participating in clearinghouse below.

If your school is on the list, you'll have to report it (still probably worth the credit hours, then paying the money, each time it's needed- do pass/fail to protect GPA).

Participating Enrollment Reporting Institutions | National Student Clearinghouse
Ratfus Wrote:Where can they get this information though other than FAFSTA (even that might be pushing it)?

Different states might have unique rules and regulations though. Still think it would be pretty tough to uncover.

Respectfully, and I do mean respectfully- because this is a really good topic for discussion, but just because you think it's tough, doesn't make it so. Nevermind that. The fact is that 99.99% of RA colleges will absolutely request each and every transcript for every credit you've ever earned.

(keep in mind ACE credit including CLEP would be excluded from disclosure if it doesn't appear on a college transcript).

There are a zillion reasons why they do this- from keeping students from burying bad grades, to identify student loan defaulters, to find outstanding debt obligations to colleges, to recalculate GPA that includes all your credits (not just those from your last attendance), to be sure you're complying with Federal Financial Aid attendance requirements, to evaluate prior credit for your new degree, and to EXCLUDE you from earning duplicate credit. This is just what I can think of off the top of my head. Whether or not YOU do it isn't really anyone's business, I'm not asking- but why would you tell someone else to jeopardize their admission AND their degree? Colleges can and do revoke degrees for any number of fraud situations.
Ratfus Wrote:If the school can't legally give out your information without your consent (tax records are off-limits as well), where they obtain information on an unlisted school? Also, most schools aren't obligated to provide your information to the clearinghouse, so why would they risk legal trouble?

You might want to actually check a few facts. Schools WANT to use the National Student Clearinghouse to protect themselves from fraud. Note the following. It all is authorized by law.

FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):

School officials with legitimate educational interest;
Other schools to which a student is transferring;
Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
Accrediting organizations;
To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.
Old Guy Wrote:You might want to actually check a few facts. Schools WANT to use the National Student Clearinghouse to protect themselves from fraud. Note the following. It all is authorized by law.

FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):

School officials with legitimate educational interest;
Other schools to which a student is transferring;
Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
Accrediting organizations;
To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

My apologies, I stand corrected.

I figured there might possibly be exceptions in the rules, after posting. Also, they might have a document you sign, when applying to the school, stating you're providing every transcript at all schools you've ever attended. Then, they have a valid claim as you're lying on the application.

A good thing I saw this; I was actually planning to not include the 10 classes i'm currently taking at community college in the future because they're not related to my bachelor's degree, which was from a better school, or the MBA (that I might take in the future), even though I'm currently doing better in these other classes. I'm merely doing them for license credits.

If the school doesn't state that "all transcripts from all schools, ever attended" are required in the application, would they still require them?
Would TESU accept an audited class as an elective? I am auditing a class in Japanese. I would take it and send my transcripts to the school but I'm still paying debt from my last school first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 2 221 04-15-2024, 08:31 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 581 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 596 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,686 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 565 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 186 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 367 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 280 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain