Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer in Credit/Credentials questions
Do the Big 3 + WGU universities only accept/consider credits/credentials that was earn within five years?

I graduated 12 years ago from AA degree and I was wondering IF I should even bother to work on transferring any of those credits.

Thnx
It is not generally the case that coursework over 5 years is rejected. For example, much of my AA was done in 2002 or so, and none of those classes were an issue for TESU in 2016.

An exception is some schools and the technology field. WGU will not accept industry certs from over 5 years ago, even if kept active with CEUs. They may feel the same way about actual tech college work, though I'm not sure of that. Not sure how other schools feel about tech courses (though my >5yr intro to computer course was accepted by TESU without issue)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
All of my CC credits were earned in the 80's. They were no problem at all.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:All of my CC credits were earned in the 80's. They were no problem at all.

May I ask which school accepted them?

I 'm asking this because I did read on WGU's website that any certs AND course to be considered for transfer credit must be earned within five years.

It looks like WGU is the only one that has this stupid rule.

Thnx
What degree are you going for at WGU? If it's not an IT degree, they'll accept it.

Considering the field, 5 years make sense.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
redBlue Wrote:May I ask which school accepted them?

I 'm asking this because I did read on WGU's website that any certs AND course to be considered for transfer credit must be earned within five years.

It looks like WGU is the only one that has this stupid rule.

Thnx

It was TESU (see my sig). I think that WGU only has that rule for technology courses. For that matter, I think that TESU also has a time limit for those courses. It makes sense. Counting a programming course for an obsolete version of a programming language, a computer engineering course taken before AGILE was taught, or an Operating Systems course that covered Windows 2000 and UNIX is a bit problematic.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
send them all. Courses inside an AA are probably all liberal arts, thus will not "expire."
As mentioned regarding technology courses and certs, those can expire depending on the school.
TESU does have the 5-year rule for technology courses, but only for tech degrees. So, you could have an old computer course come in and be counted in the NatSci/CompSci area of Gen Eds and be ok.

They also have a 10-year rule on the AOS area in the BSBA (not sure if that's the case in all degrees). I had some courses booted out because they were too old (there was a max of 10cr over 10 years old). And, it looks like they just recently changed the rule to an even shorter timeframe:

Business Transfer Credits
Within the BSBA Areas of Study, up to 50 percent of the courses in the area of study may be older than 7 years from the most current date of application to the University. Any additional older credits applicable to the area of study would have to undergo a currency review before being placed in this area of the degree. The BSBA capstone course, Strategic Management, has a currency limitation of no more than 5 years old in order to apply toward the Core requirement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 0 72 Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 223 Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,603 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 235 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,986 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 269 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 728 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 550 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 757 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 703 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso