Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfering COSC
I didn’t find the answer and I’m sure this horse has been beaten...does anyone know if COSC transfers SL grades to another college?  If so, do I need to take any courses with COSC to get a transcript transferred from them?
[SIZE="1"]AA, MGCCC
BA in Liberal Studies, TESC (thanks to all of you!! Smile )[/SIZE]
You can't use a COSC transcript to transfer SL (or any other alternative credit) to another school. Each school has to evaluate outside credit using their own transfer policies.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-08-2019, 01:44 PM)davewill Wrote: You can't use a COSC transcript to transfer SL (or any other alternative credit) to another school. Each school has to evaluate outside credit using their own transfer policies.

Thank you
[SIZE="1"]AA, MGCCC
Yup, basically, this goes for any school you plan to attend. The only courses that transfer with a letter grade, is the school you took the courses from. Courses transferred into COSC will have an external GPA. If you plan to take courses at COSC, the only courses that transfer with a letter grade, are the ones that are completed at COSC. Credits/courses taken elsewhere and shown on the COSC transcript will indicate where they came from, it will have no bearing on the internal GPA at COSC.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ok. Seems like I vaguely remembered reading one of the colleges transferring letter grades from SL...it’s been a long time. I guess I confused it with something else. Wishful thinking...
[SIZE="1"]AA, MGCCC
(03-08-2019, 07:01 PM)iCLEP2 Wrote: Ok.  Seems like I vaguely remembered reading one of the colleges transferring letter grades from SL...it’s been a long time.  I guess I confused it with something else.  Wishful thinking...

I believe this is correct, but only applies if you are planning to earn your degree at COSC. As I understand it, courses transferred directly from SL as an example or NCCRS only course providers directly, will be awarded a letter grade by COSC and would impact the COSC gpa. Otoh, I think if the course is sent from an ACE transcript rather than directly from the course provider, it would only be listed as P/F and not impact the COSC gpa. So my understanding is that if a course is transferred directly to COSC, it may impact your overall gpa for any degree your earned there.
(03-08-2019, 07:01 PM)iCLEP2 Wrote: Ok.  Seems like I vaguely remembered reading one of the colleges transferring letter grades from SL...it’s been a long time.  I guess I confused it with something else.  Wishful thinking...

You can choose to send your graded (%) SL or Study.com courses directly to COSC and get a grade on your COSC transcript.  The courses you DON'T want grades from can be sent to ACE, and then get onto the COSC transcript ungraded.  There's a specific process you need to go through to make this all happen, and it's discussed here in a thread from cookderosa.

But schools don't transfer GRADES - they only transfer credits.  Your GPA that is earned stays with the school, and is only changed when you take courses at that school, or if it's at COSC and they will give grades for specific ACE courses.  But if you were to leave COSC and go to another school, your GRADES won't transfer, your CREDITS will.

BTW - if you do transfer to another school, if they don't take SL/Study.com courses (so they don't take ACE credit), then you won't get those credits transferred - COSC will only transfer what you've earned there at COSC, and they will list the SL/Study.com courses separately on the transcript so the new school can see that you transferred those credits in.  They would then want to see where those credits originated, and you'd have to show that they were SL/Study.com/ACE credits.

So the reason to take SL/Study.com courses and transfer them to COSC with grades is to give yourself more graded credits, and a better GPA at COSC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
On my COSC advising worksheet, the SL credits with letter grades factored into a "career GPA". But on the final transcript, it lists a career GPA of 4.0 based only on the cornerstone and capstone and doesn't list any letter grades for anything else.
(03-08-2019, 07:01 PM)iCLEP2 Wrote: Ok. Seems like I vaguely remembered reading one of the colleges transferring letter grades from SL...it’s been a long time. I guess I confused it with something else. Wishful thinking...

To get graded Straighterline credit, your degree has to end at COSC, not start there. Leaving a college (to transfer) means leaving behind everything that was transferred in (as opposed to credits you earned with them). Transfer to/from anywhere will always require original transcripts, so that COSC awards a letter grade won't influence another college's policy for what they do with SL credit.
FYI you have the option of also using Sophia, Studycom, etc. for letter grades there too. COSC will award a grade if they receive an official transcript with a %. OTOH, if you send them your ACE transcript, it's pass/fail.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,679 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,283 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,641 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,161 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso