Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transitioning out of Healthcare Management
Hello,

I am almost completed with my undergrad at NYU for Healthcare Management. I'm not sure if this is what I want to be doing. I currently work in an office setting, and I want to do something that is more involved with people or more along the clinical side. Any ideas of what I would be able to complete my master's in which would not be difficult to get into with a healthcare management background?
When you refer to "more along the clinical side", what does that mean? Are you wanting to be in the Allied Health field instead of Health Care Management or do you want to work in a clinical lab setting, or do you want to interact with more staff and patients?

As per this webpage, Clinical Manager might be a good fit. It just requires an MBA Healthcare Management or a Masters in Public Health. http://www.healthcare-administration-deg...aq/1036-2/

If you want a change to Allied Health or do more hands on clinical work, it's going to require extra training and education in that field, example medical lab technologist or nursing, you'll have to take a ML or nursing program and then get your state licensure.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I can't think of anything that you can easily transition to other than an MPH with an emphasis in Epidemiology. Just a plain MPH is mainly policy, but you might be able to use the degree to interact with the community educating them. Other master's degrees that will have you working with patients will pretty much make your master's and healthcare management experience useless. You'll be in the same place as someone with a bachelor's degree and no experience. You'll need to complete science prerequisites and shadow. Some master's level programs are difficult to get into without any clinical experience; that's why many aspiring physician assistants work as EMTs, CNAs, and medical assistants.

Here are some healthcare careers that can be started with a master's degree.

Occupational Therapist
Nurse Practitioner (you'll need a direct or alternate entry program)
Physician Assistant
Speech Language Pathologist
Athletic Trainer (this only require's a bachelor's degree, but I think there are direct entry master's programs)
Mental Health Counselor
Marriage and Family Therapist
Social Worker
Psychological Assistant/Technician/Examiner/Associate
Genetic Counselor
Orthotist or Prosthetist
Acupuncturist
Occupational Safety and Health (only requires a bachelor's, but there are master's programs)
Dietitian/Nutritionist (only requires a bachelor's, but there are direct entry master's programs)
Medical Physicist 

Becoming a physical therapist requires a doctorate, but the training is about as long as some of the master's programs I listed above.

Since you already have a degree in healthcare management, you don't need another degree to become a clinical manager. If you want something more scientific, consider getting a master's in clinical trials management/administration or clinical research management/administration.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Yenisei
(09-13-2017, 09:16 AM)Saranda90 Wrote: Hello,

I am almost completed with my undergrad at NYU for Healthcare Management. I'm not sure if this is what I want to be doing. I currently work in an office setting, and I want to do something that is more involved with people or more along the clinical side. Any ideas of what I would be able to complete my master's in which would not be difficult to get into with a healthcare management background?

Clinical side is a broad term. I am assuming you want a professional masters so things like PA, Occupational therapist, Physical therapy are on the table provided you complete the prereqs with good grades but  usually are 2 to 3 year fulltime programs and rarely cheap . Beyond that, clinical can mean anything like cath lab tech, ultrasound tech or RN. With a bachelors, you can complete a one years accelerated RN program at some schools. Bonus, is once you get burned out you can transition back to management easier than a pure clinical.
(09-13-2017, 09:16 AM)Saranda90 Wrote: Hello,

Knowing what you spent to get the degree your getting, my suggestion is to spend a lot of time doing job shadows, interning, interviewing employees, and researching before signing up for a masters that you may or may not want to even do.

I'm not being critical, I'm being serious. Generally, the undergrad part of the degree is the part you can do for pennies on the dollar- grad school is expensive and specialized, and assumes a foundation.
Clinical work, in almost every field, requires significant 100/200 level sciences. Your core (if this is the same program http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/depart...ed_Courses) is mainly in business. So, are you thinking you want to go back and do something like earn an RN? Or are you thinking you want to shift to something like medical school? A lot of the occupations on Sanantone's list require a state license, which will mean strict parameters around the school you choose and the degree you earn. Honestly, I suggest taking some time off to decide before re-enrolling. But that's just my opinion, there are other good suggestions here too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 580 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,582 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 1,033 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,295 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 811 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 714 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 802 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  Is Swiss School of management Accredited? soulblader 4 1,754 03-06-2023, 04:52 PM
  Asian institute of management mba soulblader 4 732 11-28-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  New Harvard Online MS Healthcare degrees $56k tuition smartdegree 7 1,203 09-21-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77