Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to understand science requirements
So, I'm wondering if UMPI will not accept Sophia's Human Biology course as a GEC requirement under all circumstances, or only because the people on this forum don't have a lab science they're already bringing in, they bring in Sophia's Environmental Science which is a physical science, and so the student needs a lab science and they offer Bio w/lab often?

Like, I have Chem w/lab through a 4yr university, so I'm imagining that they probably would bring in the Sophia Human Bio course for me.

So, has anyone had success bringing it in who already had a physical science w/lab and only needed a Biological science w/o lab? Or was it rejected for you as well?

Also, has anyone brought in a physical science w/o lab, so Environmental science went into electives?

Just trying to figure out how it works, I have a few people I'm working with who are considering different options, and I like to know how it works before I suggest it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
They won't (or at least did not) accept Sophia's Human Biology as a GEC, even with a lab science accepted. UMPI offers a Human Biology, so you may get a "Human Biology" accepted if it was from an RA school. I was told in another UMPI thread that ONLY BIO 105 would work to fulfill Learning Objective C, but I think that's bad info.

If you get an answer about what non-UMPI courses (RA or alt, with or without lab) will satisfy Learning Objective C, please PLEASE post what you find out.
(03-17-2021, 04:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I'm wondering if UMPI will not accept Sophia's Human Biology course as a GEC requirement under all circumstances, or only because the people on this forum don't have a lab science they're already bringing in, they bring in Sophia's Environmental Science which is a physical science, and so the student needs a lab science and they offer Bio w/lab often?

Like, I have Chem w/lab through a 4yr university, so I'm imagining that they probably would bring in the Sophia Human Bio course for me.

So, has anyone had success bringing it in who already had a physical science w/lab and only needed a Biological science w/o lab? Or was it rejected for you as well?

Also, has anyone brought in a physical science w/o lab, so Environmental science went into electives?

Just trying to figure out how it works, I have a few people I'm working with who are considering different options, and I like to know how it works before I suggest it.

Human Biology from Sophia is not accepted as a science class at all at UMPI. I transferred in a lab science (E). I brought in Sophia's Environmental Science to fill one of my science GECs (D). I also had a wellness course transfer in from a community college which filled a science GEC ©. They offer their science courses every term. UMPI wouldn't even look at my transcript when I submitted the Human Biology course because they don't accept it as a science course. It may come in as a general elective, but it doesn't fill any of the GECs.

ETA: Ashkir made a wiki for how UMPI accepted his Sophia courses. As you can see, Human Biology is not in the GEC.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
(03-17-2021, 09:21 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 04:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I'm wondering if UMPI will not accept Sophia's Human Biology course as a GEC requirement under all circumstances, or only because the people on this forum don't have a lab science they're already bringing in, they bring in Sophia's Environmental Science which is a physical science, and so the student needs a lab science and they offer Bio w/lab often?

Human Biology from Sophia is not accepted as a science class at all at UMPI. I transferred in a lab science (E). I brought in Sophia's Environmental Science to fill one of my science GECs (D). I also had a wellness course transfer in from a community college which filled a science GEC ©. They offer their science courses every term. UMPI wouldn't even look at my transcript when I submitted the Human Biology course because they don't accept it as a science course. It may come in as a general elective, but it doesn't fill any of the GECs.

ETA: Ashkir made a wiki for how UMPI accepted his Sophia courses. As you can see, Human Biology is not in the GEC.

Yes, I know it wasn't accepted for him.  I was trying to see if the reason was because he needed a lab science, and so they would only take 1 Sophia science course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-17-2021, 11:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 09:21 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Yes, I know it wasn't accepted for him.  I was trying to see if the reason was because he needed a lab science, and so they would only take 1 Sophia science course.

Nope. They don't accept Human Biology as a science course at all. It's just a general elective. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First post, political science class guidance needed Daniel14 6 198 03-23-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 197 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Degree Help - Bachelor of Applied Science hicham78h 13 498 02-20-2024, 04:23 AM
  Admission Requirements for Ancient Homeschooled Students Spalmer 2 386 01-03-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI Cybersecurity/ Computer Science RyanNeedsAnITdegree 1 445 12-29-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BAS - Bachelor of Applied Science Completed! Thank You and lessons learned! nyjosh 5 688 11-22-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Confused on UMPI's Residency Requirements DolceDolce 1 466 11-03-2023, 09:22 PM
Last Post: DolceDolce
  Math , bio and bio with lab requirements Sara143 12 1,012 10-11-2023, 12:02 PM
  Simplified GEC requirements rachel83az 6 707 09-17-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Political Science Minor Ebroady23 7 528 09-14-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: MichaelDoesMarketing