Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuition Assistance Slashed (if you are a Marine, it got destroyed)
So DoD has "as yet unannounced" new TA caps that just leaked all over the place.

Old caps: $250 per semester / $4500 per FY

New caps: $175 per semester / $3500 per FY

These are NOT yet in place. This leaked when the Marines announced they are drawing, quartering, and disemboweling their entire TA program, matching the "new" DoD standards of $175 per hour. But the Marines, always known to be "first", decided to one-up the DoD and cut their troops down to $875 per year -- that's only 5 credits per year!! I pity those guys, especially when the "new" DoD cap is four times higher than their cap. As one commenter to the story wrote, the Marines just made the decision to have less educated troops. Wow.

Jeezus this is getting crazy.

Source: http://militaryadvantage.military.com/20...e-reality/
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Good news for the USMC despite the cuts in TA DOD wide.
Read this in the Army Times.

"The Pentagon, however, ordered the Corps to reverse the deep cuts, and on Oct. 26, the service announced that it was switching to the Defense Department's fiscal 2011 policy for tuition assistance."
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Sucks.
I get 5k per year and 7.5k per year for a masters from my employer as long as my reviews are moderately high.
How does this compare to the GI bill and the college fund? Are those post discharge only and this is while you are in the military?
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I work at a college and all I get is $250 per year, and that isn't guaranteed you have to apply and get approved, provided there is money available.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Being on the inside I take it for granted and don't always remember how amazing our benefits really are.

Tuition Assistance pays up to $250 (soon $175 apparently) per semester hour for one degree at each level up to master's degree, i.e. one 2-year, one 4-year, and one grad degree. Nothing post-grad, and no second degrees. Exception: For the Air Force, TA will pay for a Community College of the Air Force degree at any time, since it is required for promotion to the highest enlisted ranks. Having a PhD is nice, but no CCAF, no promotion, period. TA is only available while in service. Schools fight for our TA dollars so you'll often notice a "military rate" of, coincidentally, $250 per semester hour.

GI Bill info.
  • 36 months of college covered (four 9-month "years").
  • Tuition & fees up to $17,500 cap per year.
  • $1,000 a year for books & supplies.
  • Monthly housing allowance equal to the housing allowance for an E-5, zip code based on the location of the school. That's $1,800 per month for TESC, BTW.
  • Can be used from day 1 of qualified service up to 15 years after discharge.
  • Transferrable all or in part to one or more dependents (spouse, children).
  • "Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, and tutorial assistance."

Bear in mind there are a bunch of criteria for the above. For example, you have to be in a certain amount of time to even be eligible for the benefit. I think it's like 90 days or 6 months though, so most people who make it through training and are unlucky enough to get shot in the desert right after basic can still qualify. You have to be in at least 10 years to transfer though. Also, housing stipend is NOT payable while on Active Duty, with some exceptions for transfers to children who can draw it if they are using the benefit while you are still active. I work with a chief (E-9) who is using the GI Bill to send his son to school and having him live at home, and banking the housing allowance. After four years he plans to hand his son the whole $40,000 to start his life after he finishes his degree.

Also, being in the Air Force we get a few added benefits:
  • The chance to earn an AAS from the Community College of the Air Force in our career field. Fully regionally-accredited, largest community college in the world, graduates nearly 20,000 students per year. And because you can change career fields throughout your career, you can qualify for a separate degree for each. I've known people with four of them.
  • AAS doesn't transfer to a 4-year college? Solved! Air University Associate-to-Baccalaureate program is a partnership with schools who agree to accept a CCAF AAS degree in full and grant a minimum of 60 credits toward a specified degree program. My Computer Science AAS got me 60 credits towards the BSBA CIS: all tech courses, free electives, and some gen eds and leadership/management courses knocked out at once.

Also in the Air Force officers have the following:
  • Air Force Institute of Technology -- master's degree and PhD available in highly technical fields. My commander has a PhD from here in Operations Research, major math guy. Some enlisted slots also now available.
  • Air Command & Staff College and Air War College -- two year-long schools required for senior officers, can grant master's degrees
  • Air University has a PhD program for officers as well

All of it regionally accredited through SACS.

Now that I write it all down... Damn that's a lot of nice bennies. Kicking myself for waiting 17 years to really get in gear.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reserve: Tuition Assistance Info bjcheung77 0 1,194 12-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Army Tuition Aid Stalled Alpha 0 1,199 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Tuition Discounts for VETS? terryd5150 10 3,987 05-25-2020, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Not_a_robot_101
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,894 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Champlain College now offering 70% tuition discount to Mil and their families deuce2w 2 2,271 12-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Last Post: deuce2w
  45% Tuition increase for veterans at Colorado Mountain College UptonSinclair 5 2,125 05-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Last Post: smf6824
  No more tuition assistance defscarlett 36 3,940 03-31-2013, 11:56 PM
Last Post: OtherSyde
  White House Petition to Reinstate Military Tuition Assistance armyb77 1 1,174 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: quasarvs
  Did VA change tuition policy? freddy 13 2,248 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Last Post: dposborne
  Northcentral University Tuition Drop for TA Users rlee7575 1 1,154 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Last Post: westmoorenerd