Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did VA change tuition policy?
dposborne Wrote:I currently take 6 credits online through TESC and I do not get the full BAH because I am only considered part time. So the amount of BAH is determined by course load. The 600 dollars isnt automatic.

Yes, everything with the GI Bill is pro-rated.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Vandalet Wrote:What region do you go to school? That might be a significant hit to your BAH dropping the on campus class. Depends on where you live though, for me that would not work, going from $2900 to $600 would be a waste of my gibill. But there is not too many places where BAH is under $1000 or so.

Yeah, if I was going to enroll into TESC I would work most of the time and then do CLEP classes in my free time. I would just pay for it out of pocket and not use my GI Bill whatsoever, until I went back for a Master's.

If I can test out most of the classes for a Bachelor's and then use the GIBill for a Master's then it might be a better use. Although I really don't have an underlying desire for my Master's. I just like to know the full consequences of any action I take.
Cleps Passed:

Information Systems & Computer Applications - 64
Spanish - 58
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 71
Principles of Macroeconomics - 53
Principles of Microeconomics - 61
Introductory Sociology - 54
Calculus - 51
Biology - 67
freddy Wrote:Yeah, if I was going to enroll into TESC I would work most of the time and then do CLEP classes in my free time. I would just pay for it out of pocket and not use my GI Bill whatsoever, until I went back for a Master's.
If I can test out most of the classes for a Bachelor's and then use the GIBill for a Master's then it might be a better use. Although I really don't have an underlying desire for my Master's. I just like to know the full consequences of any action I take.
Good call, CLEP out your bachelors then move near a high BAH area for a couple years to get your Masters.
freddy Wrote:Yeah, if I was going to enroll into TESC I would work most of the time and then do CLEP classes in my free time. I would just pay for it out of pocket and not use my GI Bill whatsoever, until I went back for a Master's.

I am at the point where I have to take the 18 credits residency requirement for Military Degree Completion. The other 108 were gained through either my training in the Navy (90 credit hours), CLEPS/DSST (12 credit hours) and the rest from Coastline CC through NCPACE and ALEKS.

It is my understanding that no matter where you reside, if you take all online courses you cap at ~600 dollars for BAH. I am lucky in that even though the GI BILL pays for my tuition, my company also reimburses me on top of that so I am kind of double dipping here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reserve: Tuition Assistance Info bjcheung77 0 1,189 12-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Army Tuition Aid Stalled Alpha 0 1,195 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Tuition Discounts for VETS? terryd5150 10 3,983 05-25-2020, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Not_a_robot_101
  Change Enrollment Type? ECH90 3 2,032 01-01-2020, 12:58 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,892 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Champlain College now offering 70% tuition discount to Mil and their families deuce2w 2 2,266 12-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Last Post: deuce2w
  45% Tuition increase for veterans at Colorado Mountain College UptonSinclair 5 2,123 05-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Last Post: smf6824
  No more tuition assistance defscarlett 36 3,928 03-31-2013, 11:56 PM
Last Post: OtherSyde
  White House Petition to Reinstate Military Tuition Assistance armyb77 1 1,173 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: quasarvs
  TESC Military Degree Completion Program Change Prloko 2 1,053 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Prloko